Gransnet forums

Charities

Clothes Banks ?

(91 Posts)
Greenfinch Sat 28-Nov-20 16:28:32

Do clothes banks exist in a similar way to food banks ? Our local charity shops do not seem to be welcoming donations at the moment and I was wondering if there was any way I could give away surplus clothing. I have got a lot of good quality children's and teenage clothes and don't just want to bin them when I am sure there is a great need. I am unable to locate one locally.

MissAdventure Mon 30-Nov-20 15:17:07

grin
Good luck with that!

Apart from olio, (and I don't use facebook, but have someone I know put stuff up to give away; no takers) I have tried all of the other suggestion, for months and months, with no joy.

b1zzle Mon 30-Nov-20 15:42:34

Freecycle is brilliant - and it works. There's bound to be a local one near where you are.

MissAdventure Mon 30-Nov-20 15:50:46

Absolutely zilch response rate from freecycle or freegle, or the other one.

I don't understand it; I usually am able to sell stuff on Ebay, even if I only end up breaking even, but nobody is interested.

Greenfinch Mon 30-Nov-20 16:21:32

There are some brilliant ideas here. Thank you all so much. Clearly I need to do some more research into my area to find out if some of these function near me.

Justwidowed Mon 30-Nov-20 16:25:22

After my husband died in October last year,the following February my SIL and I sorted through all his clothes and filled 13 large plastic bags with clothes and shoes.He had a lot .of clothes.The Emmaus homeless charity collected them all and even took some furniture.,books and jigsaw puzzles.
I hope I made a number of homeless people happier.

Greenfinch Mon 30-Nov-20 16:49:28

This is exactly the kind of thing I had in mind Justwidowed and I think I have found it !! I live in Berkshire and there is a Christian charity which provides clothes for homeless people of all faiths or none. It is called The Cowshed and they also accept bedding and curtains which is brilliant.Volunteers sort ,wash and iron the donations. It is only about 8 miles from me and I never knew it existed. Thanks to all who put me on the trail.

Bodach Mon 30-Nov-20 17:13:10

paddyanne

We need control of our own financed Jayt we get less than half of what we raise back from Westminster while they pocket the rest and then borrow and tell us we owe them the money they sent on things like London Sewers ,London crossrail ,HS2 etc etc etc .If we have control over our own income we can have a much fairer society ,we're making strides as it is with the SNP mitigating tory policies but we need full control to make the changes we must for the sake of future generations

Tax revenue generated in Scotland amounts to about £66 billion, including North Sea oil revenue, but it benefits from about £81 billion in public spending. That means Scotland benefits from £15 billion more than it puts in. Also, this year, the UK Government guaranteed £8.2 billion of additional funding to the Scottish Government to help respond to Covid.
How does that tie in with your statement above, paddyanne?

joysutty Mon 30-Nov-20 18:10:01

In our Tesco supermarket car park there are 2 massive metal containers so I always put our old clothes + shoes we don't want anymore in those. Which currently are for The Salvation Army this last year and currently not "sealed" in this 2nd lockdown. As first lockdown all these containers at all of the supermarkets were shut/sealed with metal plates. As charity shops not currently open + like some mention don't want to take any more further donations.

joysutty Mon 30-Nov-20 18:12:44

The British Heart Foundation will come to your home + collect if you phone them. But not too sure if that's just unwanted furniture items.

welbeck Mon 30-Nov-20 18:32:50

asylum applicants and even some people who have been granted leave to remain are categorised as having no recourse to public funds.
that means no sick pay, no housing benefit, no unemployment pay, nothing. even though some who have been granted the right to work, and are paying taxes and NI. so if anything goes wrong, sickness, loss of job, they are really stuck. they are destitute. so please consider donating to a refugee centre, which are in most cities.

Shizam Mon 30-Nov-20 19:02:58

All clothes recycling banks (and glass etc) round me have been removed because of fly-tipping next to them. I do despair of humanity sometimes.

AnnGilbertson Mon 30-Nov-20 22:24:57

It is worth asking your Big Issue seller if he/she would like some clothes. My seller is called Stefan and comes from Romania. He has a wife , two teenage daughters and a 7 year old son. I have given him a few items, including ones I got with staff discount as a volunteer at Salvation Army charity shop.

MrsDally Thu 03-Dec-20 19:00:35

I live in the North West and if you ring Bliss (a charity to help babies) they will arrange a collection and come to your house to pick up. You can leave the bags on the drive. They accept shoes and clothing .I had one last week.

AnthonyConstantinouCWM Thu 17-Dec-20 08:48:01

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

nadateturbe Fri 18-Dec-20 00:15:40

Great idea Puzzler.
I too am wary of freecycle. I have given things in the past which I think were sold on.