Gransnet forums

Chat

Phobias

(29 Posts)
supernana Thu 12-May-11 18:13:13

Gransnetters, does anyone have a few kind words for a "little old lady" who has an irrational fear of spiders? I have a spider-catcher and can usually muster up the trembling courage to use the gadget to remove the creature and let it loose in the garden. However, I then feel very uneasy about falling asleep [because another spider might be lurking]...and when at last I do, I have bad spider dreams...

supernana Sat 11-Jun-11 17:11:41

shysal There is a condition - teratophobia - the fear of giving birth to monsters. I guess sex comes in there at some point!

goldengirl Sun 12-Jun-11 16:57:57

Funny that you mention that shysal. When I was expecting my son I watched Alien - then felt my baby moving like nobody's business. For some reason I thought of him as a monster and was rather scared of giving birth. Apart from nearly giving birth to him in the toilet, when I finally saw him I said 'It's a baby!' much to the midwife's surprise. My husband explained and I get the feeling I was watched for a little while afterwards, but all was well and he's now a handsome 6 footer. Moral is don't watch horror movies when pregnant!

GrandmaAnge Sun 12-Jun-11 17:05:23

My first husband was terrified of spiders, would go an odd alabaster colour and call for my assistance in getting rid of them. Hmm, may even be a clue as to why he was my first husband.
My own phobia is motorway cones - my heart has started racing just thinking of the way they seem to narrow the lane and close in on me. I always thought the Cones Helpline was for people like me until I rang it and discovered - horrors! - it was just telling me where they were around the country when all I wanted to know was where they weren't.