Gransnet forums

Chat

Birthday present for 95 year old

(16 Posts)
Stillgood2go Sun 26-Jun-11 09:46:26

My mother is 95yrs on Friday, I have no idea what to get her, physically she is very frail but still has all her mental faculties, any suggestions please. I was thinking of getting her a new bedside digital radio, does anyone know of an easy to operate one with good visual wording.

Thanks.

Elegran Sun 26-Jun-11 10:05:36

If she does sudokos you can get handheld electronic ones at various prices and complexities. they have hundreds of examples to work through.

pompa Sun 26-Jun-11 10:10:20

On another thread, JessM said that a woman could never have enough vases or enough parsley. So a vase full of parsley should hit the spot perfectly, bet it will be a first for your Mother grin.
Seriously, finding gifts for anyone elderly (I include myself in that) is a problem, we either don't need it, or already have it. At my time of life if there is something I want and can afford, I get it, while I still can. Personally I would prefer a really good bottle of wine or port, I know my kids put a lot of effort into finding me a different vintage port each year, that I would not normally buy because I'm too tight, beautifully presented flowers must make any lady feel good. One of our friends children found some old photos of there dad during his motor cycle racing days (he was a TT rider). They had them made into a calendar, it was great. It was a company they found on the internet, guess a search will find similar companies.

susiecb Sun 26-Jun-11 10:14:04

My mother inlaw will be 98 next birthday and we just buy her the thinsg she has always loved toiletries, make up, perfume, costume jewellry. As she can no longer get to the shops I buy her clothes usually something a little dressy the Classic range from M & S always fit her, wash well and she loves them as they co-ordinate.

absentgrana Sun 26-Jun-11 12:06:15

My late father-in-law specified no presents at his ninetieth birthday celebration, a kind thought on behalf of his family, a sensible thought on behalf of keeping the small retirement flat tidy but slightly disappointing for us. I obtained a facsimile of the front page of the still-going-strong locally published newspaper for the day of his birth and put it in a frame. By chance, it was the day that Dr Crippen and Ethel le Neve were arrested, so it was quite an exciting front page.

glassortwo Sun 26-Jun-11 12:12:16

How about a digital picture frame which you could have all your Mum's memorable photographs, my father in law loves his.

jackyann Sun 26-Jun-11 20:37:08

I love my Pure digital radio that can be set to record favourite programs & the books serialised on radio4 extra.
The wording is clear to read, but when I want to play back a recording, it doesn't name the programme, just the date & time it was on. I wonder if there have been any advances on that?

Stillgood2go Wed 13-Jul-11 08:14:27

Just to say thanks for the suggestions, ran them all by my sister who is my mothers main carer and got her smellies and a new duvet cover.
Thanks again

riclorian Mon 18-Jul-11 15:38:21

Sorryto be too late 2good , but have only just noticed this thread . We had much the same problem recently ( a birthday present for a 90yr old gentleman ) and we solved it by clicking on
www.eternal impressions.co uk A very interesting site for 'different presents'. We decided to have some photos of different stages of his life put on to a mug , and he was absolutely delighted !! This we did by emailing photos to them and the result was amazing !! They do many other interesting things ---well worth a look .

Stansgran Tue 19-Jul-11 11:10:21

what about having a tree planted in a woodland -there are plenty of sites all over the country-i tend to do it for the people who have everything-I know I'm too late for the birthday butthere are family trees dotted about the country now-if you plant in a garden for a wedding etc then move can't always take the tree with you

Gally Tue 19-Jul-11 11:50:53

We gave my Aunt an upright garden seat with a comfy cushion for her 90th birthday. She loves it. It is just outside her kitchen door and she often sits there with her coffee in the morning. She is now coming up to 96 (still driving - OMG!) and we are running out of ideas. My daughter gave her a 'Tea for 2' voucher last year and she went by taxi to the Grand Hotel in Eastbourne with a friend. That went down very well. My cousin gave her an 'I promise' note to do a day's worth of gardening during each of the seasons..She just says she really doesn't need anything at her stage of life, but she really enjoys the fuss and we try to have a big family gathering every few years which gives her great pleasure.

instash28 Tue 12-Jun-18 07:09:19

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

instash28 Tue 12-Jun-18 07:10:06

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

M0nica Tue 12-Jun-18 21:41:07

Why not take her out somewhere? A concert, the theatre. even just out for lunch at a really nice restaurant with lovely views.

agnurse Wed 13-Jun-18 22:36:38

I agree with giving an experience as a gift, or something that would be useful. Does she get cold easily? (Many older people do.) A nice pair of slippers (ensure they are non-slip) or a lovely shawl might be a nice gift. Does she enjoy getting her hair done? Maybe a gift card to a nice salon.

Auntieflo Thu 14-Jun-18 08:52:50

I've just found this thread. It's originally from 2011 !! I wonder if the OP's mum is still around ??