Gransnet forums

Chat

Just wondering!

(38 Posts)
kittylester Sun 21-Aug-11 10:16:06

We are expecting a visit from my brother in law and his wife today so I spent yesterday cleaning toilets, polishing furniture etc as well as preparing food - but why? I don't particularly like BiL's wife (his second) as she has to pass comments about any problems that you might not know you had, eg what you eat isn't good for you, you don't get enough exercise (too true!) and so on. Everyone else who visits takes me as they find me, which isn't too bad generally, so why does she irk me so? Who has you reaching for the polish and a loo brush?

Must rush, the table cloth needs ironing. Why use a table cloth? There is a nasty stain on the table that we haven't got round to dealing with yet!! smile

goldengirl Mon 22-Aug-11 21:35:01

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a load of toys for GC. One visitor to our house thought I ran a creche!! Oh, how I'd love a tidy home but neither DH or I is a tidy person, though I try and pretend. I've started to declutter and have emptied a wardrobe I used for files and things and got rid of quite a lot but some are stacked on the floor waiting to be boxed up. Keeping tidy is sooooo boring [grumpy face]. When I eventually move house...........

artygran Mon 22-Aug-11 11:26:26

I agree about the clutter bit and, to be honest, the only clutter we have these days is GS's tons of toys kept here for when he visits. I keep trying to send some home but he keeps bringing them back! It was a real headache recently when we were presenting our house for sale; we had to cram them all into our small shed.... now the sold sign has gone up, they are creeping back into the house again! I don't know about the law that says "junk expands in any given space" but toys certainly do!

grannyactivist Mon 22-Aug-11 11:18:21

I live in an Edwardian semi. It isn't posh, but it is very big and there are seven adults living in it at the moment. We have lots of visitors who eat with us, meetings are regularly held here, I teach from home and my husband also occasionally works from home. So, I do need to keep the place clean and tidy at all times.
Pity, I so hate doing housework!

glammanana Mon 22-Aug-11 09:47:34

I only do mine a couple of time's a week so easy now we live in a smaller flat,the bathroom get's done every day with the janglymethod,and I wash the floor's twice a week also,so really not to bad I think,DH does all the inside window's for me every month during the summer as the window's are constantly open.

jangly Mon 22-Aug-11 09:19:05

Actually, the "no clutter" bit is good. I reckon you can get away with a lot if the place is tidy.

artygran Mon 22-Aug-11 08:04:00

For most we have a dust and tidy round and, like Baggy, the bathroom is cleaned regularly - DH has a bathroom cleaning fettish! However, we have one set of friends who visit us infrequently who I always feel I have to have a blitz for.... no clutter, everything gleaming to regimental standards. I have a bit of an inferiority complex where they are concerned as they have done very well for themselves and they probably wouldn't kennel their dog in my small semi. DH says it's daft - if we weren't good enough for them they wouldn't bother with us, and of course he's absolutely right.... but I still keep scrubbing away in advance of every visit!

Oldgreymare Sun 21-Aug-11 21:52:12

Cleaned and tidied before the family arrived but saved the mega-clean for after they've gone, starting tomorrow. DIL tidies obsessively in her own home, but not so in mine....... Why????
Always start the week with a 5* clean of the bathrooms ( a quick wipe around for the rest of the week) then it's downhill all the way!!!
Also work to the reward principle..... a couple of days of housework= a day off to indulge in hobbies, shopping, meeting friends.

jangly Sun 21-Aug-11 21:21:27

I keep forgetting what we're wondering about.

Baggy Sun 21-Aug-11 20:10:55

Mine never said that because I keep the spare bed ready at all times and, apart from cooking a bit extra, nothing else changes for visitors. I assume they want to visit the real us. I'd hate to think I caused other people extra work.

Annobel Sun 21-Aug-11 20:04:20

raggy, I thought I was the only one whose children said that! grin

raggygranny Sun 21-Aug-11 19:42:18

When my children were still at home and saw me cleaning the house they would ask who was coming to visit. blush

GoldenGran Sun 21-Aug-11 18:19:33

Feel guilty, so memo for self for tomorrow is clean and dust. I'm usually fairly good on the housework but this last week I just didn't feel like it so gave in and it is tidy-ish, but novels could be written in the dust. It's funny leaving it felt fine, but action calls tomorrow! I do the same shower thing as jangly. I could do it today but I am having a deliciously lazy time today, am even on Gransnet whilst my DH is polishing silver! He is gem, a definite keeper. grin

Gally Sun 21-Aug-11 17:13:36

I do that too Baggy - clean the shower before I start on me although I sometimes have to come up for air when spraying the shower cleaner. I think I am the only one in the house who ever cleans anything in the bathrooms/loos - I will have something like that as an Epitaph on my grave - still thinking what would be appropriate grin

Baggy Sun 21-Aug-11 16:49:34

I do that too, jangles — shower tiles while I'm still in there, then the sink and its taps, then the loo. Pretty much every day. So the bathroom is always clean where it matters and the dust bunnies (and their pet mice {love that, annobel!}) on the floor behind the sink pedestal stay happy and don't harm anybody. My kitchen routine is similar as regards food preparation surfaces. The kitchen floor, on the other hand, gets swept frequently — most days — but mopped only 'regularly', by which I mean regularly once every few months. We don't eat off the floor (but the chickens sometimes do wink).

jangly Sun 21-Aug-11 15:08:30

I do the Fly Lady swish and swipe thing in the bathroom when I have my bath in the morning. (got it from a mumsnet thread.)

jangly Sun 21-Aug-11 15:07:04

Oh yes. Can't count son and daughter's (occasional use) bedrooms. I shut the door on those.

grannyactivist Sun 21-Aug-11 15:03:35

Too many visitors to make a special effort for. House is clean and usually 'tidy but lived-in'. Guest bedrooms are immaculate always, but family bedrooms are usually the messiest rooms in the house. Bathrooms/loos are thoroughly cleaned once a week, but otherwise just get a quick clean daily. When a new lodger is arriving I always make a special effort to ensure the house looks its best.

greenmossgiel Sun 21-Aug-11 14:14:46

Ok for really fat bluebottles, then Baggy!grin

Baggy Sun 21-Aug-11 14:07:35

Dust mice! grin Oh how cute!!!!

When the sun shines in at certain angles, I notice cobwebs. The rest of the time I don't. There are certain ones in a corner window that I like to watch the progress of — you watch the dust build up on them after they've been abandoned. MOG says it appeals to my 'artistic' nature! Spider silk is incredibly strong! Weight for weight, it's stronger than steel.

greenmossgiel Sun 21-Aug-11 13:28:24

Anyway - spiders webs catch flies and I hate flies! grin

Annobel Sun 21-Aug-11 13:19:31

I seem to have found my soulmates on this thread. My dust-bunnies have dust-mice for pets...

Zephrine Sun 21-Aug-11 13:03:15

Yes you are Green and they're lucky to have you!

Zephrine Sun 21-Aug-11 13:01:55

Guddle - what a lovely word smile

Gally Sun 21-Aug-11 12:47:29

I've got a sign above my worktop which says 'NOTICE TO STAFF' Will ladies please rinse out tea pots, then stand upside down in the sink. ON NO ACCOUNT must hot bottoms be placed on the worktops; and another which says 'My got up and go got up and went'; but I diverse : hoover hall carpet, clean loos and make space on kitchen worktop, otherwise they take me as they find me - which is usually in a complete guddle grin

jangly Sun 21-Aug-11 12:40:35

I find a clean and tidy house keeps me cheerful. I get down when a mess develops.