Gransnet forums

Chat

Heating on yet?

(99 Posts)
jinglej Thu 20-Oct-11 09:32:53

DH and I are having our usual silent stand-off to see which one of us will crumble first. (I put the electric "stove" on when we sit down in the evenings!)

DS coming home for a couple of days leave today. He will be vocal! grin

jinglej Thu 20-Oct-11 09:34:03

Scots need not reply.

They're different.

jinglej Thu 20-Oct-11 09:34:58

Oh, they'd better say something though or I might not get many replies. (they're everywhere - have you noticed? hmm)

susiecb Thu 20-Oct-11 09:36:41

Yes we have put it on the past two evenings and the first morning today but we dont have it on automatic just put on when we feel we need it.

jinglej Thu 20-Oct-11 09:48:12

I had better add a hasty grin for our Scottish friends! shock

nannysgetpaid Thu 20-Oct-11 10:25:25

Yes we've been lighting the fire for the last few nights. (that's the heating). Our old cottage has really thick walls and retains the heat so it's still warm next morning.

nanachrissy Thu 20-Oct-11 10:29:15

I have my c/h on all the time on extremely low setting as it's supposed to be the cheapest way according to the plumber. I think it is true. Heating just ticks over rather than going mad for ages!

Notsogrand Thu 20-Oct-11 10:31:52

Yes, it's been on for the past few evenings and again this morning. Like you susie I use the thermostat to just have it on or off when needed. Even when it's on though, not all the radiators are on. The radiator in my bedroom has never been turned on.

carboncareful Thu 20-Oct-11 10:43:18

I've just read that its better to put it on an hour earlier than to put it up. Sounds sensible - I think? But these things are sometimes counter-intuative.

Ariadne Thu 20-Oct-11 10:50:38

Ours goes on early, and at the moment it's enough to keep us going during the day, so we turn it right down. Mind you, the back of the house faces south, so if the sun's shining it.s really warm.

Jeany Thu 20-Oct-11 10:56:39

DH assures me that if we want the temperature to go from cold to say 20 degrees, it will get there quicker if we turn the thermostate to 25 degrees and then down when temperature reaches 20. This doesn't seem to make sense to me. Any ideas?

susiecb Thu 20-Oct-11 11:02:42

I never know is it better to close all the internal doors or open them when the heating is on and let the heat circulate?

Ariadne Thu 20-Oct-11 11:06:53

it's

jinglej Thu 20-Oct-11 11:10:39

God! It's a minefield, isn't it?!

Who knows?! shock

jinglej Thu 20-Oct-11 11:11:25

And what about opening the windows during the day, to give it a quick airing. I have to do that!

nanny1 Thu 20-Oct-11 11:24:11

I'm in Scotland. I am always cold. Heating has been on all year as has the electric blanket at night. I cannot cope with the cold.

I do open the windows to let in fresh air, usually in the mornings.

I have tried hats, gloves, scarves and multiple layers but it's not the same is it?

I read somewhere that 18 deg C is manageable.

What temperature do you all find is best for you?

Elegran Thu 20-Oct-11 11:34:43

susiecb It depends where your main thermostat is. We have just had our boiler serviced and the advice from the engineer was - The main thermostat controls whether or not the boiler is on and supplying heat to the whole system, so if it is too low, the boiler cuts out too soon and no heat goes to the rooms. If it is in the hall, set it at the general temperature you want and leave doors open so that heat gets around. If individual room are not then exactly as you want them, adjust their radiator thermostats to suit. You can close doors if necessary once you get the balance right.

jinglej Thu 20-Oct-11 11:37:43

I feel the cold more these days nannym. It gets really hard to venture out when its really winter. I find 18 - 20 is right for background when moving around, but need extra heat source when sitting down.

Elegran Thu 20-Oct-11 11:42:11

Our CH has been on all summer because DH feels the cold so. He likes to sit in a hermetically sealed room with a jumper on. I sit in a the lightest clothes I can (considering that I have to answer the doorbell) and wilt.

He has been known to come into the kitchen while I am cooking with a window ajar and complain of the "howling gale" (as well as objecting about the smell of cooking - interesting that after a meal while I am clearing up and the smell is just as strong, he does not seem to notice it, even with the kitchen door wide open to come and go with dishes etc.)

jinglej Thu 20-Oct-11 11:43:39

That's because he's got his food inside him Elegran. Warms you up food does.

Elegran Thu 20-Oct-11 11:58:11

Dulls his sense of smell too.

GoldenGran Thu 20-Oct-11 12:32:14

I have made a stand and put the heating on, much against the wishes of Mr. G. He keeps saying it is alittle chilly for a late summer day, and going on about how warm he is with the heating on, it is down low! I am ignoring him. I too feel thcold more now*jingle*smile

glammanana Thu 20-Oct-11 12:52:41

Elegran get DH to warm himself up by washing and drying the dish's he will improve his circulation no end.wink

harrigran Thu 20-Oct-11 13:03:19

My heating has not been off at all this year, just turned down when the weather improved. I believe it is easier to heat the house if you have background heat all the time. Our lounge thermostat is set at 22 degrees so we can sit without jumpers .

Elegran Thu 20-Oct-11 13:13:02

glammanan He used to, but now is no longer up to it - he gets very tired if he stands for too long. He does sort of move things to one end of the table, nearer the dishwasher, before he goes off to sit down again. It is not the circulation that is failing, it is more serious stuff.

We do try to walk round the block every day, but it is starting to get colder and wetter outside and walking against the wind is just not on.