Gransnet forums

Chat

Heating on yet?

(100 Posts)
jinglej Thu 20-Oct-11 09:32:53

DH and I are having our usual silent stand-off to see which one of us will crumble first. (I put the electric "stove" on when we sit down in the evenings!)

DS coming home for a couple of days leave today. He will be vocal! grin

Elegran Fri 21-Oct-11 10:56:33

Look in the Gifts for Grandad in the Product Reviews.

Elegran Fri 21-Oct-11 11:01:50

That was for Nanny1 btw.

Annobel Fri 21-Oct-11 11:28:20

elegran - I think you are our philosopher. Until this thread, we never knew the difficult time you are living through. thanks x
Bags - I love my hot water bottle and sometimes am decadent enough to go to bed with two of them - one for my feet and one for everywhere else! My youngest GS was very attached to his hwb last winter. I think I will get him one with a nice cover for his 4th birthday in a few weeks' time.

GoldenGran Fri 21-Oct-11 11:29:43

I love my hot water bottle, but also have an electric blanket which I nam told is going back in the bed on November 1st! Am going to get stepladder to look in top of airing cupboard and get it out to put in tonight! DH swears he is not controlling in any way! Love him to bits though, but I have to be strong! grin

bagitha Fri 21-Oct-11 12:28:14

A Cub leader I know takes a big set of mini HWBs to Cub camp with her and the kids get one each smile.

Libradi Fri 21-Oct-11 13:04:50

Love my hot water bottle but love the new electric blanket even more. First time using it last night and we both slept like a log, so cosy and it stayed at just the right temperature. Was expecting DH to say he was too hot but he slept all night like a baby smile

riclorian Fri 21-Oct-11 15:26:48

Elegran -- I have just read this thread for the 1st time and I would like to say how very much I admire you . You are an example to us all and I can only say that in similar circumstances I hope I could be as strong and courageous as you . Stay strong for each other . Lots of hugs to you x

Elegran Fri 21-Oct-11 15:36:47

rictorian Thank you for that, but I do not really feel that I deserve it. We married for better or worse and I would not be much use to DH if I did not support him and keep him steady when he needs it. That is what we all do, I think. We all have our own ways of coping with trouble. Mine is to get on with everything, and "keep the home fires burning". It helps that I have a loving family and good friends and neighbours, and can come on here and chat about trivia and so on.

bikergran Fri 21-Oct-11 19:22:34

Elegran when I read your posts, at times it could be me! thats writing them...I had to laugh (I know its not really funny) but the kitchen window one !! lol I too open the window and leave it ajar when cooking,.. DH comes in and does his "shivver" dance! lol..then sits down at the table, normaly does another "shivver dance" then rubs hands together and rubs his arms lol.

Our poor boiler works over time and is constantly on! (no wonder it breaks down often)! I open the bedroom windows (when hes dressed course) god forbid if I open them prior lol.. then if I go out he is on that stairlft as fast as poss to close them and turn the radiator back on..I am quite the opposite..although must say I have felt the cold the last few days! smile

em Fri 21-Oct-11 19:58:11

Sorry jinglej I realise I'm being a bit thick but I genuinely don't understand your Scottish references! Is it because it's colder in the north or am I missing something more subtle?

Elegran Fri 21-Oct-11 20:01:27

I read a letter in a mag years ago from someone whose husband liked everything nice and tidy. One day she was cooking, got something out of a cupboard to start, turned round to get something else and DH walked through the kitchen -without pausing. When she turned back to the table, the first thing she had out was missing. Thinking she had been dreaming, she turned to get it again. DH walked back through kitchen while she was getting it. She turned round - item number 2 was gone - it back in another cupboard.

Sound familiar?

bikergran Fri 21-Oct-11 20:11:39

Gosh I could do with that person coming to my house lol it is in desperate need of a good tidy (especialy my cuboards) lol...
I used to be reasonably house proud (not got posh furniture or anything but liked to keep what I had nice n clean n tidy) I never minded anyone dropping in...but!!! now!! my house!! it is a shambles,, I do shame as I don't seem to have the same enthusiasm any more...................phewwww hang on whilst I peel off a layer ...lol (may see if I can sneak off this chair and crawl on hands and knees pretending to play with the cat, then hopefully turn the thermostat down a degree! grin

jinglej Sat 22-Oct-11 09:33:07

em - only because it's colder in Scotland. They have probably had their heating on for some time!

About them being "everywhere" - I do joke sometimes with Gally and Bagitha along those lines. Nothing meant to be insulting and they know it.

Of course I like Scottish people just the same as anyone else. grin

em Sat 22-Oct-11 09:52:21

Actaully J I only switched mine on on Thursday - but my area of Scotland is relatively mild and I do tend to wear long sleeves at this time of year - unlike DD's family who live all year round in vest tops and just turn the heating up to tropical when they feel it's necessary! Most uncomfortable (not to mention wasteful). Mind you, I'll probably be on here in a month or so complaining about freezing!

Gally Sat 22-Oct-11 09:53:37

The temperature north of the border can be up to 20 degrees different from that in the south - even more sometimes and in summer when the national news tells us, ad infinitum, that glorious weather is being enjoyed in the Home Counties, we can be shivering in front of our fires with a force 14 gale blowing outside and snow threatening! I had the heating on until June this year and back on again intermittantly since end of September. I seriously think some people here should have extra help with heating costs - I would talk to my MP about it but Mr Broon appears to have gone AWOL of late wink.
p.s. Jings and this is totally between you and me - I'm English, but don't tell anyone grin

Mishap Sat 22-Oct-11 10:01:40

Just this second switched it on, then came and saw this thread! I have switched it on under protest from my OH who would have me freeze all winter! I have put my foot down with a firm hand and said that I refuse to be miserable and cold for the next 5 months. We face south and once the sun gets going we can switch it off, but I just hate the cold - and cannot put any more clothes on or I will not be able to move my arms!

Annobel Sat 22-Oct-11 10:03:34

jinglej, I remember very low temperatures being recorded the last two winters in South Oxfordshire where, going by some of your references, I think you live. Likewise, just two miles from my home in Cheshire, the lowest temp was recorded last winter but one. My max/min thermometer bore this out. Yes, the Highlands of Scotland do have some very low temperatures each winter, but a lot of the country is coastal and these areas are usually a bit warmer, or, should I say, less cold. Bagitha, Gally and Em all live in coastal areas which may well be not quite as cold as RAF Benson.
I remember when we came home from Kenya, we went to stay with the in-laws in Kent. It was snowing and freezing - the wind seemed to come straight from Siberia but my MiL was concerned that we would be cold when we went to my family in Ayrshire for New Year. It was positively balmy by comparison!

Elegran Sat 22-Oct-11 10:38:04

Depends whether the prevailing winds are from the West or East. There are palm trees growing and thriving in Inverewe Garden in Poolewe www.nts.org.uk/Property/Inverewe-Garden-Estate/ (Worth a visit if you are that area. NT (England) membership gets you into NTS properties free)
Further East, the cold comes across from Siberia and brings snow and ice to Aberdeen and Inverness. A few years back, we knew that winter was here with a vengeance when we heard that the Cockbridge to Tomintoul road was closed, It seems to have stayed open in recent winters - don't know if that is milder winters or whether they have altered the road.

jinglej Sat 22-Oct-11 11:10:48

Annobel, yes, Benson always seems to be the place with the "lowest recorded temperature"! I asked DS son (weather forecaster) why this is and he said something about it being in a low lying bowl with open spaces around.

When DS was at uni in Bangor, N. Wales, it would often be mild and snowfree there (on North coast) when surrounding area was covered in snow. Just because it is near the sea. I asked DS that one as well, but mind wandered during the answer. shock hmm

em Sat 22-Oct-11 11:20:27

Wonder if your DS J could explain the relative mildness here. We are on the east coast (so do sometimes get those Siberian winds) but are tucked 'just round the corner' at the mouth of the Tay, from the main east coast so quite sheltered. We have a range of hills (Sidlaws) to the north and not far south another sheltering range (Ochils). The hills seem to push the rainbearing west winds away from us and apparently this is the sunniest city in Scotland. In winter we see areas just a few miles to the north and south are suffering blizzards while we have just a light snow shower. Utopia? No - Dundee. Really J I'd be interested to know why we get off so lightly. (Oh boy I hope I don't have to eat my words over the winter!!)

jinglej Sat 22-Oct-11 11:53:44

em, he went back to Exeter at crack of dawn (before actually!) and will be working today. I will see if I can get an answer by text.

em Sat 22-Oct-11 12:08:58

Thanks J. I'd noticed you were expecting a visit and thought it was a great opportunity to ask you to pick his brain on my behalf. Hope you enjoyed his quick trip.

jinglej Sat 22-Oct-11 12:14:45

It was a very quick one this time but, yes, I did enjoy it. He took me to a National Trust teashop for some of their lovely shortbread. (oh, and a brew!)

We did look round the gardens as well!

He has to do some very erratic shifts at the moment. sad

crimson Sat 22-Oct-11 12:16:52

N Power have lowered the cost of my direct debit [thank goodness; it's still horrific] but it was based on an estimate. It's dawned on me that, if the estimate is low then, when they re adjust the amount their prices will most likely have gone up again, and any shortfall will be in the new price category. Going to read the meters myself just in case.

Mishap Sat 22-Oct-11 20:46:41

OH who likes everything neat and tidy!? I have one of those!
I once got out all the ingredients and implements to make a cake, and nipped to the loo before I started on it. Came back and the whole lot had been put away!!!