Gransnet forums

Chat

Loo reading matter?

(60 Posts)
Annobel Mon 24-Oct-11 09:56:15

When I was a kid, I was always in trouble for taking my book into the loo (luckily we had two) and staying there for ages. It was the only place I could get peace and quiet. In my sister's house there's a bookcase beside the pedestal. I find newspapers a bit unwieldy, but have been known to finish the crossword 'on the throne'. Nowadays I don't need to look for peace and quiet - have them in abundance. Are you prepared to lay bare your reading habits?
www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2011/oct/21/reading-on-the-loo-study

greenmossgiel Sat 29-Oct-11 13:00:37

I read in the loo and in the bath. I also use the library very frequently and buy second-hand books. However, I am very particular about hand-washing, having received and given training on 'infection control' in my line of work.....the things we touch on a day-to-day basis....oooh! It's a mucky old world, but if we keep a good standard of personal hygiene, then we shouldn't pass on infection to others. smile

crimson Sat 29-Oct-11 12:56:43

Not sure if paper holds germs; I know wood doesn't [wooden toilet seats are more hygienic than plastic ones. Everyone used to have brass door knockers because brass doesn't hold germs. Got a bit obsessed with hygiene the first year we had swine flu around. I hate it when people sneeze into their hands; if you don't have a tissue you should sneeze into your sleeve.

jinglej Sat 29-Oct-11 11:56:24

We won't have to touch anything soon. Won't that be good.

'Scuse me, my ocd is showing. blush

jinglej Sat 29-Oct-11 11:55:25

gkal, I'm the same about library books. e-library books could be the way forward. smile

jinglej Sat 29-Oct-11 11:54:07

I can't believe I posted that! blush

jinglej Sat 29-Oct-11 11:53:40

I might take the odd catalogue that has just plopped through the letterbox in with me. But I always pull the chain while still sitting if I don't plan on rising immediately.

Like to keep things "naice". grin

gkal Fri 28-Oct-11 19:37:33

I have been known to dash into the loo with a particularly interesting letter or article that I don't want to stop reading, but generally do not spend enough time in there to warrant a supply of reading matter. The hygiene factor does come into it for me. I detest cleaning and books would just gather dust and germs (I was a nurse!). I have always had an aversion to library books, thinking of them being handled by all those sticky fingers. I wouldn't like to think they had been sitting in someone's loo for a couple of weeks. Reading back over this, I seem a bit obsessed with hygiene - but actually I'm just lazy wink

snailspeak Thu 27-Oct-11 15:01:48

Can't understand that reading on the loo is all that pleasant but there again did you know that there are more germs on your computer keyboard that on the average loo seat. By the time that you have read in the loo you will have even more germs to transfer.
Used to read in the bath before I had my daughter. Don't know how I enjoyed it so much. I must have emerged as a wrinkly prune even at that age. Our bathroom has two atmospheric downlighters just above the bath and the rest of the bathroom can be in shadow. Often fancied a soak with scented candles but never have the time. Got loads of Occitane candles received as presents. Should really give them a try

Lizzieanne Thu 27-Oct-11 14:22:16

My Grandma always read The People's Friend in the loo. She spent hours there, laughig or crying at the various stories -- if we couldn't find her, or The Pepole's Friend we knew where she was!

Annobel Wed 26-Oct-11 22:53:05

When my mum couldn't find her glasses, we always knew they'd be on the side of the bath because she always read in the bath. I did too but had a hard time explaining to my Latin teacher why my Virgil had got soaked...

elizabethjoan Wed 26-Oct-11 22:52:37

I keep a few modern poetry books there. Just thinking about the words and mulling is very relaxing. I even found a poem about lettuce, and if that is not suitable........! Also a few of those "Little Books"

crimson Wed 26-Oct-11 22:26:54

gracesmum; you've reminded me of The Far Side. Do they still produce them? They're so funny. I'd love to read in the bath [I've never thought of doing so before] but my glasses would steam up. We used to have squares of newspaper in the loo when I was a kid [very Angela's Ashes that, I'm afraid]. Not to read, though.

minniemouse Wed 26-Oct-11 22:03:04

I just can't think of anything more disgusting ! Never allowed in my childhood home or my own home. Think of the germs ! YUK

bikergran Wed 26-Oct-11 20:51:05

not for the faint hearted..........................................................................BUT!!

apparently 1 in 6 mobiles have "feceas" on!!!!!!!!!!!! [confussed]

nanny1 Wed 26-Oct-11 08:57:07

My brother recently had to have some "banding of polyps/haemorrhoids". The doc advised him not to read/text/play with iPad whilst on the loo doing a poo, because it is not healthy and may lead to a recurrence of the above mentioned condition/procedure. as sitting around causes stress and strain on the nether regions. He suggested to simply go and do as quickly as possible and leave the loo!

blush

lucid Tue 25-Oct-11 16:37:02

No...I definitely wouldn't read in the loo or bath. When I was little I would sit half way up the staircase to read...the only place I could get some peace and quiet. We were quite a houseful!

gracesmum Tue 25-Oct-11 15:07:14

Of course loo reading matters!
As to what - I keep all my "funnies" - books of Matt and Alex cartoons, silly dog books, "Far side "books, plus the sort of little short book you so often get as a present. I would hate my guests to be bored. A cousin cuts out the quick crossword every dayfrom I think The Telegraph, (without doing it) punches a hole in one corner and hangs them from a hook in the downstairs loo with a supply of pencils. People disappear in there for HOURS but emerge happy!

bagitha Tue 25-Oct-11 06:38:55

As a child, I used to climb a tree that my younger siblings couldn't climb and read on my tree settee in peace. My father said I could switch off from a room full of people and read too, but I can't remember that. I can't do it now. Read on the loo? My business doesn't take long enough to settle down and read a book. I always thought it was only constipated people who needed reading matter on the loo wink.

harrigran Tue 25-Oct-11 00:16:50

I have never wanted to sit and read in such an uncomfortable place, armchairs were invented for that purpose.

em Mon 24-Oct-11 22:43:11

I'm clearly very lucky - don't need any distraction and don't have time to read in there!

raggygranny Mon 24-Oct-11 22:31:56

I don't think it's so much that the loo is a pleasant or comfortable place to read, as that reading takes your mind off what is really going on!

Annobel Mon 24-Oct-11 20:05:07

Oh, absent shock

absentgrana Mon 24-Oct-11 19:39:18

Did you know that the expression bumf comes from bumfodder? I have now forgotten who it was but clearly he was some sort of intellectual – some chap kept a cheap copy of the works of Horace in his lavatory and would tear out a page that he had already read and use it as required. I thought you'd like to know that. grin

olliesgran Mon 24-Oct-11 18:54:20

I can think of better places to read! This is why I am always on the lookout for cheap books, but stay clear of second hand books, and not keen on library books either, as this habit seems so widespread!smile

em Mon 24-Oct-11 18:07:08

Neatly put dorset! Anywhere in the house has to be more comfortable. I always thought this was a 'bloke' thing!