Gransnet forums

Chat

Does anyone enjoy going to the hairdressers?

(48 Posts)
glassortwo Wed 26-Oct-11 22:09:04

I have spent a good part of the day in the hairdressers, bored out of my brain. I can not sit still to watch a movie let alone sit while I am pampered. I try to read all the celeb mags but ohh it is just a waste of time.

Am I the only one?

goldengirl Thu 27-Oct-11 12:30:51

I loved being looked after but I dislike intensely the inane chat from the young people who do the washing which I'm afraid I either ignore or reply to in a grumpy old woman manner. The ambience of my hairdressers though is warm and welcoming and I do get an excellent service from my stylist. [Just read that last sentence through and it sounds wonderfully posh - which I ain'tgrin]

artygran Thu 27-Oct-11 12:59:15

I have had the same hairdresser since the late seventies when she decided to become self employed - when she left the salon I went to, I couldn't bear the thought of anyone else cutting my hair. We are very good friends. She has now accepted that trying to get me to have "something different" is a none started and she could probably cut my hair with her eyes shut! Her customers range in age from teens to greys and you are always guaranteed a laugh! I worked in the West End of London before I got married and used a small salon in Bond Street where the atmosphere was very comfortable. They then threw in their lot with a large salon in Jermyn Street and I only went once - it was such an awful snotty place full of awful snotty customers (sorry, clients) and horribly camp stylists! I felt so intimidated by it (being in my late teens at the time) I fled and never returned!
Incidentally, it is good to be back, guys... had six weeks break from GN to move house; missed you all!

Libradi Thu 27-Oct-11 13:49:40

Hate going to the hairdressers. I've got a lovely friend who became a mobile hairdresser years ago and she does whatever needs doing to mine.

snailspeak Thu 27-Oct-11 15:17:28

I have been going to the same hairdressers for around ten years now (only had four hairdressers during the past 40 odd years) and there is plenty of gossip and chat but I view visits as an (expensive) necessity rather than a treat. However, I do love it when I walk out feeling a millions dollars. Making the most of myself is very important to me. It keeps me feeling young.

Only one problem, the guys there don't seem to understand appointment times and my heart always sinks when I see my hairdresser is nowhere near finishing his previous client when I arrive. Last time my appointment was 2pm. Taking in the situation, I asked if I had time to pop to the shops. I returned and still had to wait until nearer 2.30. That is SO annoying.

nanachrissy Thu 27-Oct-11 15:34:32

I love going to have my hair done. I've been at this salon for 5 years and my stylist is a lovely young woman, and we get on really well. She listens to what I say and is always very careful with my hair, which is extremely thick. The juniors don't prattle on when shampooing and everyone is very friendly. However, it is quite expensive (£50 cut and blow), but I would eat bread and dripping rather than not go! grin

glassortwo Thu 27-Oct-11 15:38:43

absent I think that might take off the pinking look. grin

NanaAnna Thu 27-Oct-11 17:22:25

I love my going to my hairdresser. The pampering, the head massage, the great cuts he gives me, which fall back into place when I simply blow dry my hair at home myself. A good style can take years off your face.

I am treated as a valued customer and my views taken into consideration. At the same time he offers advice and suggestions on styles and has modernised my look We have great discussions about politics and best of all good reading material - none of those awful 'O.K.' or 'Hello' magazines.

If you don't like your hair dresser, shop around until you find one that suits you. It took me two years to find mine after we moved to another town but 'he's worth it'!!

HildaW Thu 27-Oct-11 18:15:03

Its taken me a long time to find a good hairdresser in this area, but think we might be on to a winner, fingers crossed.
My previous one back, where we used to live was a joy. A fabulous haircutter who took a long time to really make the best of my very fine hair. He is also a great teacher and has trained up so many young stylists over the years. However, what I really enjoyed were his outrageous conversations. We would cover everything from Shakespeare, to continental sex museums! He also was just a little indiscrete about any famous head he had done. Nothing taseless, just entertaining and he knew they would go no further with me (I hardly move in those circles). However, the wonderful colourists was a very quiet sole who would concentrate on what he was doing and leave me to peacfully daydream. Oh do I do miss going there!

Gally Thu 27-Oct-11 19:17:17

I love going to the hairdresser. My 'Ron' is brilliant at cutting and he'll talk if I want to - we often put the world to rights and discuss the crisis of the day, or he will just be quiet if I send out the quiet vibes. When the juniors wash my hair and then do the head massage, I give him the low-down on how I think they are doing (marks out of 10) wink. I don't spend much on make-up or clothes come to that, so I don't mind spending quite a hefty amount every 7 weeks or so on my head.

Twobabes Fri 28-Oct-11 00:47:51

Oh, I love having my hair done. I have my roots done every month as I hate the re-growth being obvious, and a trim every two. The pampering, the chat, the sitting still, the lotions and potions, the rubbish mags, watching skilled workers, seeing transformations - brilliant!

Stansgran Fri 28-Oct-11 11:21:34

Hairdresser comes to the house every week it's my luxury. I wash before and it can be as little as 20 minutes unless cut. Gave up colouring roots 5 years ago as I started to get bothered about chemicals being absorbed. Still look a bit like a badger at the back-wish I could look like Christine Lagarde

Gilly70 Fri 28-Oct-11 14:33:24

Well said! Good tip and I hope he listened to you.
My daughter does my hair, when I can get her. She is a very busy hair&make up artist, so I am very lucky not to have to go to a salon. If I ever do, I also tip the shampooist as they are not highly paid.

milkflake Fri 28-Oct-11 19:37:02

Hi , I always used to cut my kids hair and do OH's and Dads now, sometimes I cut my own but as Elegran says its hard to do the back.

I have found a new hairdresser who does exactly as I ask, great! I do my own colour its too expensive now to get it done at the hairdressers, plus I cant use the back wash because of neck problems. I just get a dry cut , cost £8.50 I give her £10 , nice round figuresmile

GoldenGran Fri 28-Oct-11 19:55:54

I just love going to the hair dressers, sometimes I get a little sleep, if he's colouring, or chat if I want to. The best thing about my hairdresser is you only chat if you want to, I like that. Although I quite like hearing intriguing ends of conversations froom the other customers.

Twobabes Fri 28-Oct-11 20:02:02

Ooh yes, GG, other people's conversations - I'd missed that off my list of treats smile

elizabethjoan Fri 28-Oct-11 22:37:32

I look forward to going to my lovely hairdresser who knows what suits me. We chat about colour and cut, get on with it, chat a bit more, and its generally very relaxing. It's the only time I read Hello and Red, and also there are often other interesting folk about to have a "Foil Time" conversation. That's how I found out why a local Dig was stopped for a while (leprosy spores)

gracesmum Fri 28-Oct-11 22:53:46

Somebody referred to the "inane chat" and oh my goodness isn't it just. The comments are so superficial and trivial, but the girls are kind-hearted and sometimes it is good to have a change and communicate at that level. I do make a point of asking for magazines "with words in them please" as pictures of (usually pregnant) so-called celebrities bore me rigid. I think they keep Country Living just for me and I am sure I have had the same issue more than once. I have to prepare opinions on "Strictly", films, TV soaps (which I don't watch althougn Downton Abbey will do) the school that my hairdresser's son has started at where I used to teach and the latest boots or coats or we really don't have much to say. Maybe I am being hypocritical, but hey we are all different and if I want a more intellectual conversation I have my book club friends. I used to have a lovely gay hairdresser called Simon, but he was dumped by his boyfriend and was cutting my hair as he told me about it (custody of the dog had him in tears) anyway, he went on talking and cutting and cutting and talking.........and it took me the best part of a year to grow my hair back again!

jinglej Fri 28-Oct-11 23:05:43

I wonder if there are any retired hairdressers on Gransnet.

petra Sun 30-Oct-11 09:43:38

I LOVE going to my new hairdresser. He is an Iranian barber. He had opened a new salon near me; i wanted my hair cut and he was empty so i just went in.
He was a bit confused at first as obviously i was a woman.
Anyway, he got going and it was heaven. 'they' cut hair as if you are getting an Indian massage. I wish my hair would grow quicker so that i could go more often.

FlicketyB Sun 30-Oct-11 17:25:04

I used to hate it when I was young, my hair was long and it took literally hours to dry under those head covering dryers. Now with the introduction of the cut and blow dry I dont mind. It only takes 45 minutes and I read a magasine. Hairdressers always have magasines that I would never buy for myself so time passes quite quickly. At the end of the 45 minutes I emerge from the hairdresser with my hair neatly in shape again and looking really good for a few days.

Anne58 Sun 30-Oct-11 17:43:58

I hate it with a passion! I wish I could just drop my head off, go an do something more interesting, then pick it up when it's done.

I don't like magazines, don't know who half of the "celebrities" are, can't do the crossword in my paper because I can't see it without my glasses on.

I have started colouring my hair at home, partly to save money but also to cut down on the time I have to spend in the chair.

However I have a short hairstyle and hair that grows like a weed, so I still end up having to go about every 4 weeks.

HildaW Thu 10-Nov-11 18:29:01

Darn it, spoke too soon. Went back to the hairdressers I've been to a couple of times. This time she sort of forgot all I had said and just chopped away and as we were chtting away I kinda took my eye off the morror. My fine hair needs carefull cutting or it can look very 'shorn'. Feel a bit like one of those poor Frech collaborators!..............never mind it wooly hat weather!