Gransnet forums

Chat

Is this just a coincidence?

(41 Posts)
jingl Wed 11-Jan-12 12:18:19

Over a couple of months before Xmas I looked up quite a lot of stuff about back and rib injuries, on the internet. This morning, quite out of the blue, I had two text messages come in on my mobile phone from a "legal" firm, along the lines of: "Have you had an accident that was not your fault? We can help....".

Was that coincidence, or can they somehow see who posts on websites, and then get your mobile number?

Am I being too suspicious? Just seems funny. hmm

Elegran Thu 12-Jan-12 11:08:52

Zephrine Yes, it is the cookies that have been added to your computer which alert them to send you their advertising emails etc.

You can choose whether to accept cookies from sites, and if so whether they are kept until their expiry date or deleted at the end of a browsing session. You can also delete any that are already there, and set it to ask you every time so that you can decide individually on the merits of the site.

On Firefox you can do this from the Tools menu, via options then Privacy. Not sure about IE but I am sure it has a similar setting.

Watch out that you do not delete a cookie from a site that you will want to log in at, as that can make it refuse to accept you.

Annika Thu 12-Jan-12 11:00:39

Zephrine I know its hard but there is always someone on here and I admit most of them us will always have something silly to say but it might help raise a little smile thanks

Notsogrand Thu 12-Jan-12 10:52:58

Well if proof were needed.....yesterday evening I was discussing Google Chrome on line with someone and I Googled it to find out more.

This morning, I opened a YouTube video that was posted on Twitter and guess what the advert was at the beginning of the video clip? 'How to Teach Your Gran to use Chrome'. I'm not kidding.

Butternut Thu 12-Jan-12 07:27:05

Zephrine - glad to hear you are beginning to win. That's good to know.

JessM Thu 12-Jan-12 06:54:47

Sorry to hear you've been depressed Zephrine, don't go wandering off again.

Annobel Thu 12-Jan-12 06:37:59

That sounds like fun, Notso. Does anyone else have an outrageous suggestion?

Notsogrand Wed 11-Jan-12 23:36:13

Allowing for the fact that I've had a couple (3 is close to a couple right?) of glasses of wine, I think we should all try to bugg*r up the systems that think they know all about us.

If we Google something moderately outrageous, the 'system' will switch gear and start sending related pop ups and adverts. We could see who gets the most fascinating responses! And whether our online Tesco favourites list is changed. And whether Aviva start sending details about insurance cover for dangerous sports. And whether we get leaflets about our local Marie Stopes Clinic. And whether the DWP swaps our winter fuel allowance for milk tokens.

Just a little experiment anyone?

Annika Wed 11-Jan-12 23:19:37

crimson when I turned 50 I also had Saga stuff sent to me, flyers about stairlifts and a free sample of `tenna lady blush

crimson Wed 11-Jan-12 22:13:03

I was amazed at how much Saga stuff I got when I turned 50!

Granny23 Wed 11-Jan-12 21:37:16

I was drawn into completing an on line survey yesterday which was really boring as it was all about fancy mobiles, ipods, blackberries, etc (none of which I have. The last question listed 30 kinds of 'tablets' - tick the box beside the one you own or 'other, please state'. So I ticked other and listed the Tablet I own as Mrs Tilly's Tablet (a Christmas Gift!) Mrs Tilly is of course our local maker of Scottish Confectionary. DH says I should have put Vitimin D or Glucosamine.

Jingle - I have had loads of Accident Claim flyers and invitations to reclaim IPP payments recently, neither of these is at all relevant to me or my browsing history. At least the penis enlargement ones have stopped now. They probably think that over 65's have ceased to worry about this 'problem'.

Annobel Wed 11-Jan-12 18:48:29

Hi Zephrine. do keep in touch. We're just the people to help you chase that black dog back into its kennel. thanks

Grannylin Wed 11-Jan-12 18:13:09

Well big hug and welcome back, you were missedx

Zephrine Wed 11-Jan-12 18:11:08

Hi Grannylin, I'm afraid the 'black dog' took hold and I'm only just starting to win smile

Greatnan Wed 11-Jan-12 18:04:41

I believe Tesco sell the details of the things you buy, using the information on your loyalty card. Even the DVLA sells information about drivers. If you put any information about yourself into the public domain, someone will be able to access it! Businesses certainly use your FB details to target you with adverts. Still, I don't get too many ads for penis extensions!
I have to invent a UK phone number sometimes - if I put in my French number it tells me it is not valid.

Grannylin Wed 11-Jan-12 17:52:38

Hello Zephrine!Where have you been, haven't seen your name for agessmile

Annobel Wed 11-Jan-12 17:25:33

I could be wrong (moi?), but I am sure I have heard that if you reply to one of those texts that try to make out you have had an accident or been sold PPI falsely you will find that you have paid through the nose for the privilege. all you need to do is delete and forget them.

Zephrine Wed 11-Jan-12 17:20:35

There are no calories in these cookies.

Zephrine Wed 11-Jan-12 17:20:02

Don't know what I'm talking about but I think it's something to do with "Cookies" on your computer, I think they feed info back - I think...confused

jeni Wed 11-Jan-12 17:14:22

nanac I wouldn't know how to outrageous things!

Annika Wed 11-Jan-12 16:57:37

When I buy things on line and my phone number is asked for if I feel that my number is not needed I put down most of my mobile number but I change the one of two of the numbers. As long as it fits the box that is there on the on line order form it still gets processed
Just a thought , if my `made up` number is any of yours so sorry !!!!!!!!!!
The other day I was looking at bakeware at Lakeland on line and when I looked at my e-mails sure enough there was Lakeland ads running down the edge of the screen with the bakeware I had been looking at .
Big brother is out there ! hmm

Gally Wed 11-Jan-12 16:36:39

Jangl I had a spate of those texts over quite a few months, sometimes 2 or 3 a day. I got so fed up that I sent a text back with NO x 50 and at the end 'read my lips, I have NOT had an accident' That seemed to do the trick smile
I like crab but it doesn't like me - and oysters -ooooh, I am really ill if I eat them (vomit smiley)

nanachrissy Wed 11-Jan-12 16:19:03

Jingl I think those mobile messages are just random, like the computer generated ones on home phones.

Let's all keep start doing outrageous things anyway, I like the sound of that!! grin

jeni Wed 11-Jan-12 16:10:37

Like!

Notsogrand Wed 11-Jan-12 16:06:03

The powers that be jeni. Not the elected ones who we know, t'other ones who really make the decisions.

Don't worry about it, the world's still turning. smile

(Goes off to look for conspiracy theory emoticon)

jeni Wed 11-Jan-12 15:32:51

Who? What? Where are they? I'm feeling paranoid now. (worried emoticon)