Gransnet forums

Chat

Is this just a coincidence?

(40 Posts)
jingl Wed 11-Jan-12 12:18:19

Over a couple of months before Xmas I looked up quite a lot of stuff about back and rib injuries, on the internet. This morning, quite out of the blue, I had two text messages come in on my mobile phone from a "legal" firm, along the lines of: "Have you had an accident that was not your fault? We can help....".

Was that coincidence, or can they somehow see who posts on websites, and then get your mobile number?

Am I being too suspicious? Just seems funny. hmm

jingl Wed 11-Jan-12 12:20:05

Should have said "who reads websites", not "who posts". (Unless they read GN! shock)

glassortwo Wed 11-Jan-12 12:22:15

Strange jingle, but on google and many of the other sites they seem to register what you are looking at and later the panel at the side when you are checking emails etc seem to roll with related items, so it wouldnt surprise me if they could find out your mobile, do you have it on your information on FB?

jingl Wed 11-Jan-12 12:25:07

I've wondered about that too, Glass. They seem to match the adverts with what you have written about!

Don't have a Facebook account.

jingl Wed 11-Jan-12 12:27:19

Hey Glass - that pasta bake is delicious cold too! Just had early lunch. smile

It's my thread. I can sidetrack.

Butternut Wed 11-Jan-12 12:27:22

My 'tech. advisor' finds it rather suspicious jingl, but wonders how they might have found your mobile number. Did you do any research by mobile/iphone?

jingl Wed 11-Jan-12 12:29:19

No, that's what puzzles me Butternut. Even when I buy anything online I never bother to put my mobile number, just my home one. But I do wonder if there's some way they could be in cahoots with the mobile phone companies.

Paranoid? Moi?!! grin

glassortwo Wed 11-Jan-12 12:30:22

Sounds delicious jingle I am having homemade veg soup now, seeing as you have deviated from the original thread grin

jingl Wed 11-Jan-12 12:34:13

grin

jeni Wed 11-Jan-12 12:57:48

I've had quite a few, telling me I haven't made acclaim for an accident I haven't had! Now legal aid has been abolished, I suspect legal firms are trying to drum up business on ano win no fee basis. They are phoning at random.

Notsogrand Wed 11-Jan-12 13:05:31

I googled 'cover up swimming costumes' before Christmas. I haven't been swimming for donkeys years (too fat) and was looking for something fairly modest, to prevent the SAS being called out when I appeared at the public baths.

Since then, I keep getting pop ups of almost Victorian style costumes (worn by size 10 models)

As we're all deviating...just posted about my lunch on the diet thread....salad and crab sticks.

gracesmum Wed 11-Jan-12 14:09:14

I think Nigella modelled the ideal "cover up swimming costume " last summer /autumn. It has its attractions..........................

jingl Wed 11-Jan-12 14:11:26

I had crab pate yesterday.

posh that is

susiecb Wed 11-Jan-12 15:21:28

They are defintely watching us and always have been!

Notsogrand Wed 11-Jan-12 15:31:00

You're right susie, that's why I occasionally do something outrageous to give them something interesting talk about. wink

jeni Wed 11-Jan-12 15:32:51

Who? What? Where are they? I'm feeling paranoid now. (worried emoticon)

Notsogrand Wed 11-Jan-12 16:06:03

The powers that be jeni. Not the elected ones who we know, t'other ones who really make the decisions.

Don't worry about it, the world's still turning. smile

(Goes off to look for conspiracy theory emoticon)

jeni Wed 11-Jan-12 16:10:37

Like!

nanachrissy Wed 11-Jan-12 16:19:03

Jingl I think those mobile messages are just random, like the computer generated ones on home phones.

Let's all keep start doing outrageous things anyway, I like the sound of that!! grin

Gally Wed 11-Jan-12 16:36:39

Jangl I had a spate of those texts over quite a few months, sometimes 2 or 3 a day. I got so fed up that I sent a text back with NO x 50 and at the end 'read my lips, I have NOT had an accident' That seemed to do the trick smile
I like crab but it doesn't like me - and oysters -ooooh, I am really ill if I eat them (vomit smiley)

Annika Wed 11-Jan-12 16:57:37

When I buy things on line and my phone number is asked for if I feel that my number is not needed I put down most of my mobile number but I change the one of two of the numbers. As long as it fits the box that is there on the on line order form it still gets processed
Just a thought , if my `made up` number is any of yours so sorry !!!!!!!!!!
The other day I was looking at bakeware at Lakeland on line and when I looked at my e-mails sure enough there was Lakeland ads running down the edge of the screen with the bakeware I had been looking at .
Big brother is out there ! hmm

jeni Wed 11-Jan-12 17:14:22

nanac I wouldn't know how to outrageous things!

Zephrine Wed 11-Jan-12 17:20:02

Don't know what I'm talking about but I think it's something to do with "Cookies" on your computer, I think they feed info back - I think...confused

Zephrine Wed 11-Jan-12 17:20:35

There are no calories in these cookies.

Annobel Wed 11-Jan-12 17:25:33

I could be wrong (moi?), but I am sure I have heard that if you reply to one of those texts that try to make out you have had an accident or been sold PPI falsely you will find that you have paid through the nose for the privilege. all you need to do is delete and forget them.