Gransnet forums

Chat

Today I have been mainly...Volume 3

(1001 Posts)
Ariadne Sat 21-Jan-12 21:08:27

The last "I have been mainly" thread is full, so here's a new one! I have gotlots of fiddly things cleared today, and am pleasantly sleepy....

flowerfriend Wed 14-Mar-12 19:57:29

Greatnan GD in Yorkshires chat is what you needed and I hope you have lots more.

Greatnan Wed 14-Mar-12 19:09:54

Hattie - relief is one of the best emotions.
I hope you had a lovely time, Gally.

Ariadne - I hope you are going to write up all your wonderful work and get it published. It is inspiring to read your reports.

I went for a very long, very steep walk today. It was very warm and I ended up with my jacket and fleece both tied round my waist. There was still snow on the path higher up but it is thawing rapidly. They are still skiiing locally, but it ends on 25th March. I am really looking forward to getting back into my walking routine.

I got a long, chatty Facebook pm from my granddaughter in Yorkshire, just telling me about my two great- grand-daughters and saying she is looking foward to seeing me at her cousin's wedding in August. She didn't mention her mother - I think she has been told not to tell me anything.

grannyactivist Wed 14-Mar-12 18:55:01

I've been madly busy with the extended family staying for a few days and now it'll take me ages to catch up.

Hattie smile such good news, I'm sure you're very relieved.
Gally did you have a super time? I hope so, you deserve a bit of pampering.
Ariadne I'm so glad The Wonderful Man doesn't read these posts; he's desperate to go and make a difference in the world and he might find your descriptions tempt him to book a flight. We have friends in Malawi who support a variety of projects, including a new farm and I have to reign my husband in or he'd be off to join them like a shot.

Well, I've said goodbye to my beautiful daughter and son in law. sad They've gone to stay with the other set of parents before flying off to NZ and their new life. I was very brave and hardly shed a tear, but I'm still feeling a little bit fragile. They really are lovely people and I will miss them very much until they've settled in and can Skype. Ho Hum!

Annobel Wed 14-Mar-12 18:13:33

You take my breath away, Ariadne. What a fantastic whirlwind of activity and so rewarding. It's great to read of your adventures. Thank you.

Butternut Wed 14-Mar-12 18:06:07

Ariande - I am really enjoying your news. I was cheered by reading how so many women were full of laughter and hugs. smile
I echo bagitha's sentiments about helping people to help themselves.

Gally Wed 14-Mar-12 17:50:42

Ariadne flowers
Your trip sounds amazing. Enjoy the rest of it and make the most of your leisure time too!

bagitha Wed 14-Mar-12 17:03:37

Sounds as if your visit will really enthuse you (if you needed it!) and your Rotary group, ariadne. Good to hear that small things can and do make a difference and help people to improve their lot by their own work.

Ariadne Wed 14-Mar-12 16:30:56

Gally wine xxx

Couldn't get on line yesterday, and by the time we got back I was exhausted, and ahead to have a little toes up before a meeting (a very social one!) in the evening, but here goes:

Yesterday we set off to look at projects which we had been providing funding (we being Rotary) with people from the Khanyisa foundation, (who did the engineering work) we drove to Ntuzuma primary school, which services a very poor urban township community. All schools in SA charge fees, so if I tell you this one doesn't, it gives you an indication of the poverty. The school also provides an outreach feeding station twice a week. They are now able to grow vegetables for their own use and for the community, because water has been brought in.

The school itself was lively, and friendly, but in need, so I hope we can help there. For instance, the school, despite high security (iron grilles etc) had been burgled, and lost what computers they'd had, and office equipment too. The thieves also stole the metal roofing from the reception class room. reception children need a fenced in playground, because they can't safely go out to play etc etc.

Then out into the country,on to visit Mr Bvelasi's farm, where a simple system had been installed, so that he could continue the work he'd already done with out having to carry water for miles. The Foundation took some seedlings too, for which they were so grateful. Again, very basic living conditions, but with the crops, life should improve for them.

Then, to a really interesting farm, run by a family, miles down in a valley. We went down in a pick up, and I had an excellent female bonding session with three of the women working in the fields - lots of laughter. But, when we gave them the swellings, the were anxious to get them planted. Then, the pick up couldn't get up the hill, where the Land Rover had been left. So - 36degrees, up hill...reddest face I've ever had.

Final farm was again in a valley, so I just let Mr A and friends go down. But the women came up to meet us, and again great laughter and hugs.

Another amazing day. And this isn't giving as such, it is enabling people to improve their lot. And it is easy. Again, I'm overwhelmed.

Tomorrow we have meetings to see what we can do next year. So not much to tell you.

Did a little shopping today, and a lot of resting. And SA wine is very good. wine

glammanana Tue 13-Mar-12 15:11:24

gally should be flowers keep forgetting (its an age thingy)

glammanana Tue 13-Mar-12 15:09:47

gally enjoy and relax with your friend,John will be smiling down on you wishing you all the very best of pampering which you so rightly deserve.[thanks]

supernana Tue 13-Mar-12 14:11:31

Hattie High-five from me. Welcome news. Take good care of yourself. flowers
Gally John would have wished that you and your friend might enjoy the gift that he gave you at Christmas. I hope that you are well pampered. When you raise a glass [or three] I trust that you will smile in his memory. smile

kittylester Tue 13-Mar-12 12:07:07

Hattie brilliant news. smile

Gally enjoy and drink a toast to your lovely husband wine

nanachrissy Tue 13-Mar-12 12:03:18

Gally Sorry, I don't know what day it is!!!!! Enjoy tonight. confused

bagitha Tue 13-Mar-12 12:01:49

gally, enjoy! smile Your John will be with you in your thoughts and memories. xx

Butternut Tue 13-Mar-12 11:56:18

I'll raise a glass to you gally - wishing you sunshine. x

yogagran Tue 13-Mar-12 11:51:18

You'll be in our thoughts gally. A reallly bitter sweet experience, I'm sure your friend will look after you well flowers

nanachrissy Tue 13-Mar-12 09:50:39

Hattie so pleased for you, the relief must be enormous. flowers

Gally I do hope you enjoyed your night. What a lovely present from John, I'm sure you shed a few tears, but how thoughtful of him. flowers xx

Annobel Tue 13-Mar-12 09:45:37

Hattie - that is a huge relief for you. Once you've got rid of the infections, you'll really be a new woman.

Gally a bitter-sweet treat for you. I am sure it will make John seem really close to you and he would want you to enjoy it. flowers

greenmossgiel Tue 13-Mar-12 09:24:28

Hattie - you'll feel on top of the world now - what a relief! flowers

Gally - have a lovely time. If you can relax and perhaps have a massage as well, it will be so good for you. Be pampered, and eat and drink well. Surreal as it may seem, you'll be there with John's blessing. flowers

grrrranny Tue 13-Mar-12 09:06:31

Gally What a lovely present from John and I can really understand how strange you must feel. Even that chef we see on Masterchef (I think it's that) Andrew Fairlie? and his impressive dishes will have his work cut out making food that doesn't turn to cardboard for you but John wanted it to be special for you and I really hope it is. It will be luxurious and you can try out all the facilities - bet there are a lot.

Gally Tue 13-Mar-12 08:17:39

Hattie flowers What a relief!
Today I am going to Gleneagles for a night - DB&B plus use of all the facilities! It was my Christmas present from John, so I am taking a very good friend with me instead and we will be raising a glass or three to him. Strange surreal feeling coming over me confused

ladybird9 Tue 13-Mar-12 06:50:48

Hi again Glassortwo
it's smee ladybird9, I have just compiled a long long message to another gransnet and wo and behold accidently deleted message, not the same as 2-threads but equally annoying, however not to worry.... such is life, who's purrrrfect ???????????????

kind regards

here's to you Glassortwo
{wine}

bagitha Tue 13-Mar-12 06:12:49

Good new, hattie! I can feel your relief! smile

Faye Tue 13-Mar-12 05:41:28

Hattie that is great news. You must be feeling so relieved! flowers

Ariadne Tue 13-Mar-12 04:52:38

Hattie64 so glad for you.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion