Gransnet forums

Chat

What have you got planned?

(86 Posts)
grannyactivist Fri 17-Feb-12 11:25:50

Just checking my calendar and it looks like this:

Today: Funeral sad - Friend coming to stay for long weekend smile

Tomorrow: Breakfast with friend then off to visit eldest son (meeting in Cheltenham - restaurant recommendations welcome) to celebrate his 22nd birthday. cupcake smile

Sunday: Outing with friend during the day and then join with her and other friends for the evening wine

Monday: Friend leaves - Spend day with daughter and grandson (late son in law's 28th birthday) sad

Tuesday/Wednesday: Grandson to stay sunshine grin sunshine

Thursday: Meal and film with in laws wine smile

Friday: Teaching - Evening meal with friends wine

What have you got planned?

supernana Mon 20-Feb-12 15:12:17

Number I'm pleased that the wedding was a happy family occasion.

I've a smile on my face because I'm counting the days to a much longed for trip to London and four days with our lovely wee man. His mummy tells us, that as he's almost two, he has a few "rules" to abide by. Interesting! hmm

Grannylin Sun 19-Feb-12 19:26:30

Happy, very special birthday Hunt wine

nanachrissy Sun 19-Feb-12 17:53:36

Grannylin thanks for the hugs and I hope you have a wonderful holiday (this week will whizz by!)
Number glad the wedding went well.It's reassuring that people still want to get married these days!
My weekend has been mixed, on Saturday my dad was unable to move and the carers had to use a hoist to get him off the end of the bed and into a chair! He was talking complete gobbledegook about bombs and shouting at the carers to stop. Not a urinary infection as he had just come off antibiotics. Very upsetting. Then today he was very jolly and thrilled to see all his visitors.

However my friend cheered me up and made me laugh so not all bad smile

Monday and Tuesday normal boring stuff.
Wed. birthday lunch with lots of friends (3 different birthdays)
Rest of week....boring.

numberplease Sun 19-Feb-12 16:56:26

Sounds like a lovely way to spend an evening, supernana. We had a relaxing evening after spending the morning and afternoon at our 3rd daughter`s wedding and reception. The wedding was nice, despite being short and sweet at the registry office, and the reception was at a local pub, she did her own food to save money, with some help from me and her step-daughter. We thought they`d never get married, they`ve been together for over 16 years, and have a son who`s nearly 15. I`m going to post a pic of the happy couple on my profile page.

jeni Sun 19-Feb-12 14:47:58

Sounds lovely. Glad you enjoyed it!

supernana Sun 19-Feb-12 14:15:06

Happy birthday lunch Hunt enjoy your treat wine

We were at a ceildhi last night - given in honour of a lovely couple who have retired from the village shop/garage/post office. Our village is small but the hall was packed with about 150 residents. The entertainment was "home-grown" and enormous fun. A young girl played the fiddle. An elderly gent played the harmonica. The choir sang 'Westering Home' and several other much-loved Scottish songs. We all contributed home-baked food for the buffet. The cake, a superb replica of the post office, was baked by a resident. It was a work of art and contained 36 eggs. Although the village hall is far from grand, the people who gathered to celebrate were extra SPECIAL. smile

Greatnan Sun 19-Feb-12 09:34:17

Found my long post on your thread about visiting NZ!

Greatnan Sun 19-Feb-12 09:29:00

Grannylin - I have posted a bit of info about South Island (I can't remember where though!)
Must sees are The Nelson Lakes, Abel Tasman National Park, Picton, Nelson town centre.
Please try to keep in touch while you are away - there are lots of cyber cafes because there are so many backpackers!
Have a wonderful time in that beautiful, laid back country, with the warm and friendly people.

glassortwo Sun 19-Feb-12 09:15:02

hunt Happy birthday, enjoy your birthday lunch. thanks thanks wine wine

absentgrana Sun 19-Feb-12 09:08:46

Hunt Happy birthday. Enjoy your celebratory lunch. thanks

Grannylin Bon voyage for next weekend. Have a wonderful time in NZ – I'm sure you will. I shall be going about the middle of March and can hardly wait. smile

kittylester Sun 19-Feb-12 06:37:13

Totally agree em - it's swings and roundabouts really isn't it.

Happy thoughts for people who are doing lovely things in the coming week, whether it be going on holiday, visiting friends/family etc smile We should enjoy them while it's our turn.

Loving thoughts for those of us facing more difficult times thanks

I'm having a mixed week:

Yesterday - elder granddaughter (aged 3 AND A HALF) was dropped off for the day, middle daughter, fiance and their daughter (aged 9 months) arrived to stay. I cooked variations of sausage, bacon eggs etc before one of daughter's best friends and her mother arrived to watch baby granddaughter crawl confused Youngest daughter, fiance and baby came for the afternoon. Elder granddaughter's nana came to collect her for the night. In the evening babysat (with horrid takeaway)so eldest son, middle daughter and fiance could go out for meal.

Today - provide lunch for 7 adults and assorted children. Wave middle daughter etc off. Strip beds, wash bedding ready for next lot of visitors.

Monday - meet with management of mum's care home to see if we can resolve further issues! Have lunch with my brothers to discuss why further issues are still not being resolved! Grrr! angry

Tuesday - out for lunch with 2 of husband's university friends and their wives. smile

Wednesday - off to look after eldest daughter's two children. Come home trying not to drive in to ditch this time!!

Thursday - coffee with a friend I have not see for 15 years but who contacted to congratulate eldest son on his book. Sainsbury's

Friday - visit Mum, get angry about something else the care home have not resolved. Make sure spare room is ready for brother in law and his lovely wife who are coming on Saturday. Make puds for Saturday evening.

Saturday - make curry for visitors, last minute shopping.

Sunday - lunch near Rutland Water.

Plus, everyday, all the usual things mentioned including cat litter trays, washing, ironing, answering husband's business phone etc, etc.

I could have sworn someone told me I was retired!! grin

em Sat 18-Feb-12 21:22:43

Grannylin have a wonderful time. This sort of post confirms what I said earlier. For some of us there are lovely things in store at the moment while for others the going is a bit difficult right now. It encourages me to know that good things are generally well distributed and we'll all have our lovely times too. (Bring it on!!)

Greatnan Sat 18-Feb-12 21:06:13

All my days are the same - i.e. I decide in the morning where I want to explore, and if it is nice enough for a walk. If I don't go out, I read, watch TV, listen to Radio 4 or CD's, do sudoku, crosswords, or jigsaws, surf, plan my travels, telephone New Zealand and sister in Manchester , exchange pm's with friends, here or on Facebook, make myself tasty meals, have a long, hot bath, have a nap.
I might clean the flat - that takes about 20 minutes, and I shop when I am out. Every two weeks I take my bedding and towels to the laundrette - otherwise I wash my clothes in the bath, wring out by hand and dry them on lines over the bath.
I regularly visit my friend in Switzerland where we do more exploring and walking.
Yes, it is an utterly selfish, hedonistic life and I love it!

glassortwo Sat 18-Feb-12 15:07:55

Thanks grannylin & glamma I enjoyed my little break but now need a rest. grin

JessM Sat 18-Feb-12 14:54:10

Grannylin I think there is a thread there to get you started

glammanana Sat 18-Feb-12 14:54:00

Grannylin have a fantastic time and enjoy your family envyenvyenvy nice too see you back glass hope you enjoyed your break and have come back nice and refreshed (as if )grin

Grannylin Sat 18-Feb-12 14:21:44

Thanks glass. Did you have a nice break? We missed youx

glassortwo Sat 18-Feb-12 14:13:54

Grannylin have a fantastic holiday, dont worry about your manic week it will all be worth it smile

Grannylin Sat 18-Feb-12 14:08:31

Thanks Jess...first time I've been. I'm heading first to Napier on North Island to see my brother and family, then my friend(female!) from the UK is joining me and we are travelling to South Island. Its all a bit haphazard so I would welcome any info but will migrate to the travel topic to list my questions for the NZ cognescenti!!

JessM Sat 18-Feb-12 13:51:27

Oh you have a great time Grannylin. Apparently it is hot and windy in the Wellington region, a kind of weather they do so well...

jeni Sat 18-Feb-12 13:48:38

grannylinenvy

Grannylin Sat 18-Feb-12 13:42:38

em,nanachrissy gracesmum(((more hugs))), absent when are you going to NZ? I have got the most manic week ahead and don't want to sound smug because usually 50 weeks of the year are pretty mundane!
Mon. get car back from garage after being dented by silly old man
Tues./Wed. wash, iron, pack, change mind/unpack, pack again
Thurs. Train from Devon to Cumbria to check Mum is ok in care home
Fri. Train Cumbria to Manchester to stay with DS
Sat. Family party for GS's first birthday
Sun, Leave Manchester 5.30 am for 8am flight for NZ.. then a month of bliss....... sorry can't resist it grin

supernana Sat 18-Feb-12 13:15:55

Tonight, the people of our village are gathering in the hall for a supper/ceilidh in honour a special couple that have retired after running the post office/petrol station/shop for the last 15 years. It's going to be a fun-night. All proceeds to go to the Heart Foundation. smile

JessM Sat 18-Feb-12 13:14:20

Absent sounds strangely familiar. If we were leading exotic lives we would not be on gransnet all the time!
My mood yesterday not really enhanced by someone close to me having one of the most wonderful days of their life last week! (pleased for them but mild envy emoticon)
Now I have been to walsall gallery and sat admiring the video thing there called Yellow Patch. I might review later. It made me feel better.
Then a fantastic bit of retail therapy in TKMAX. Apart from a lovely comic relief bag I have never bought anything there before. I bought:
4 lovely warm merino tops (2 of them for DS birthday)
a towelling poncho with a shark on for GS
some wrist weights to tone arms while exercising (ok they are pink but hey...)
4 cheap yoga mats (time i got on with my plan to teach yoga for the unflexible)
But anyone who has the stamina to wade through the racks of adult clothes there has my respect!

Ariadne Sat 18-Feb-12 13:01:35

Drove down to Devon yesterday, and am spending today and a bit of tomorrow with DD and family - lovely! Been shopping with 15 year old DGD, bit of a toes up this afternoon, dinner with DD and friends...Sussed out a few more areas where we might buy..home sometime tomorrow.

Haven't thought about next week yet, apart from vaccinations on Monday for SA trip, and a couple of Rotary things.

I do like it here!