Gransnet forums

Chat

Torrential rain

(47 Posts)
bagitha Wed 22-Feb-12 08:14:51

Sorry to rub it in, droughters down south, but we're having yet more torrential rain today. When it eases a bit – perhaps by the weekend – DH and I will be helping some neighbours down the hill to make some mud dams in the field next to us in an attempt to stop all the water from pouring into their gardens. The deep ruts left by the diggers that had to go and get the dead cow from the burn when it fell into a ravine have channelled the water to the field access lane (which also leads to our house but nowhere else) and it is making their gardens (which are essentially cliffs cut out of the hill) even more like waterfalls than usual.

It's hard to imagine dryness.

Jacey Thu 23-Feb-12 09:01:46

Seems mine is own by a consortium of bankers hmm ...mainly Americanconfused ...no wonder the Bewl Resevoir is empty shock

JessM Thu 23-Feb-12 09:16:26

That is an interesting logical conclusion jacey. There I was thinking that bankers had the gods on their side... smile
All the water companies are heavily regulated so it does not really matter who owns them.
I was not particularly in favour of privatisation on a political level. But it certainly improved our water services beyond all recognition!
They did not have it in N Ireland and still a mess of a system there. Remember all the people cut off there in big freeze a year ago? That could have been us.

kittylester Thu 23-Feb-12 09:45:35

I was amazed to see a fallen tree floating northwards during one of the bad floods we seem to have when there isn't a drought. confusedconfused

Ariadne Thu 23-Feb-12 10:01:55

DH has just rung from the car - there's been a landslide up near the Rest and be Thankful, near you, bagitha?? (he's a Scot, and also likes to know what's going on on GN!)

Are you OK up there?

Oldgreymare Thu 23-Feb-12 10:18:48

Jess, I never thought I'd say this, but it does matter to me who owns our water companies, it seems 'we' own fewer and fewer of 'our' utilities. I'm afraid that multinationals are more interested in making a profit than improving the infrastructure. sad

bagitha Thu 23-Feb-12 10:33:46

Yes, we're fine thanks, ariadne. Rest and Be Thankful is near us but not too near! And landslides there are two a penny. What it usually means is a very long detour round lots of mountains. Comes with the territory. As does nagging the council to do something about it!

yogagran Thu 23-Feb-12 10:46:44

Jacey - I was at Ardingly reservoir earlier this week and I have never seen it so empty. Just a little pond in the middle where the reservoir should be. It's drastic.

JessM Thu 23-Feb-12 10:47:19

That is true ogm but that is why they have the regulator - to stop them just putting up bills and not doing improvements.
It has always stuck in my craw to admit it - but in the case of the water industry we would still be in the poo (literally in the case of bathing beaches and rivers) if they had not been privatised.

Ariadne Thu 23-Feb-12 11:24:08

Jacey I didn't know that! And it is empty, isn't it? Ridiculous.

Jacey Thu 23-Feb-12 11:30:46

Yes ...surely these two resevoirs don't have plugs in them that have been pulled out? Sudden disappearance of water? confused

Therefore action could/ought to have been taken months ago? hmm

Not just hoping for an 'act of god'? ...as in torrential rain? Perhaps Jess was wrong in thinking bankers had 'god on their side'? shock

gma Thu 23-Feb-12 12:31:44

We live in Norfolk and it is very dry. Although we had rain yesterday it was only for an hour or so and we need rain for days and days to make any difference. Today the sun is shining and the temperature is a heady 16C!!! The heating is off,, the windows are open, washing blowing on the line and I am going to eat my lunch in the conservatory!!! We have masses of crocus in flower, also pansies, grape hyacinth and the daffodils ready to burst forth!!! I dont care what it does tomorrow, today is fantastic-ENJOY!!!!!sunshine

JessM Thu 23-Feb-12 13:09:39

I don't think the welsh reservoirs are the problem Jacey.
It has been raining a fair bit on that side of the country.
East of England is the problem. No way of plugging counties like Linconshire and Norfolk into other water networks. Even if money no object and they started today, how long would it take to bring a massive pipe from Wales or Cumbria all that way?

There is a water transfer scheme in California. It takes water from the mountains in northern C. down the central valley towards LA. (semi deserts if left to their own devices)
It is a huge gravity fed canal.

Jacey Thu 23-Feb-12 13:36:55

Sorry Jess ...don't understand the welsh reservoir comment?

Ardingly(Sussex) Bewl (Kent) ...Southern Water should have seen this coming and put some measures in place much sooner? Don't think a hose-pipe ban will do much good in the south?

Forward planning...increase of population density in south? may equate to increase in demand for water? hmm

JessM Thu 23-Feb-12 13:53:15

Oh right, sorry, wrong reservoirs.
We had a very dry winter in the S and E last year and a dry (albeit not very sunny) summer, plus another dry winter. We have had enough rain here to top up our local ponds but that is quite different to topping up big reservoirs and ground water sources, which are more common in S and E. Because there are no mountains. So under water aquifers quite important.
There is no where for them to get more water from. They have been toiling away for years to reduce leakage - but demand tends to keep on climbing (more washing machines, more power showers, more industry and more housing etc etc)
I think they need to be putting hosepipe bans in place right now. And warning farmers that there is not going to be enough water to irrigate crops - so be careful what they plant.

Oldgreymare Thu 23-Feb-12 18:13:13

O.K. Jess, I hold similar views about 'privatisation' so was pleased to read your comments! smile

yogagran Thu 23-Feb-12 20:14:37

We already have a hosepipe ban in Sussex

Jacey Thu 23-Feb-12 21:52:15

Yogagran when did that come in to force? Don't think there is one in kent yet?confused

jeni Thu 23-Feb-12 22:15:08

Been gloomy here all day. I'm told we had some rain,I wouldn't know! Holed up in tribunal room from 9.30 til16.45.
Will be nice to see outdoors tomorrowsunshine ? Hopefully?

Ariadne Fri 24-Feb-12 11:10:47

Beautiful spring day here, but I think I shall have to water the patio pots - without the hosepipe, of course!

bagitha Sat 25-Feb-12 20:09:30

Maybe houses in the south could use rooves/roofs(?) like these:

Bermudan water collection

Jacey Sat 25-Feb-12 20:20:36

Interesting that each householder must collect 80% of their 200 day rainfall