Gransnet forums

Chat

How did you meet?

(66 Posts)
CharlotteOldie Wed 14-Mar-12 15:37:00

We'd love to hear stories from Oldies on how they met and when. Was it on a park bench? At school? On a bus? You need not be married, you could just be old friends. Encounters of any kind, particularly ones that led to life-long friendships..

susiecb Thu 15-Mar-12 09:10:26

Him patient me nurse - i got to have a look at the goods before I bought.smile

harrigran Thu 15-Mar-12 14:35:37

susiecb grin

susiecb Thu 15-Mar-12 16:07:13

Happy to write a short story for The Oldie on my dramatic romantic meeting with DH and subsequent life but would expect to be paid for it rather than them have it for free on here.

Marigold Sat 17-Mar-12 08:10:59

I joined WRAC in 1957, and was stationed at Shoeburyness in Essex. There were about 30 of us, and hundreds of Royal Artillery men.
One day in the shared canteen i noticed a good-looking young man shovelling chips into his mouth, and I was sunk.
We have been married 23 years last month, and he still shovels the chips in!

Marigold Sat 17-Mar-12 08:12:35

Soory, age got me there, we have been married 53 years - don't know where the 2 came from, it must have jumped into the message!

Elegran Sat 17-Mar-12 13:44:45

Maybe it only seems that long!

Elegran Sat 17-Mar-12 13:50:02

I meant, it seems only that long (pedantic) I did not mean that it seems long....oh you know what I mean. We have been married for 48 and a half years and it seems no time at all.

granbunny Sun 01-Apr-12 21:19:05

he's an ex husband, thank goodness. but i met him in tramtracks, royton, which numberplease might have known. small world.

numberplease Sun 01-Apr-12 22:40:58

Granbunny, I don`t actually KNOW Royton, but I know of it.

Derek100 Sun 01-Apr-12 22:58:44

I met my wife at a MIND party. My first wife, at the time, was a volunteer and my present wife's husband worked there. That was nearly 40 years ago!

Derek100 Sun 01-Apr-12 23:08:39

P.S. I've only just joined the Gransnet forum. I wondered why some user names are in black and some are in blue. And what is the protocol for sending Private messages (apart from the obvious of not being rude and so on)?

glammanana Sun 01-Apr-12 23:41:42

Blue have put on their profiles and Black have decided to keep their family and personal details private.I use PM when speaking to someone about a subject or private matter which I think may not be appropriate for everyone,ie medical or relationship matters. Hope this helps you.

Derek100 Sun 01-Apr-12 23:55:18

Thank you glammanana - very clear!
D

feetlebaum Mon 02-Apr-12 13:05:25

I was playing with a biand that had just been shifted from the Empire Leicester Square to a brand new venue, the Cat's Whiskers, in Streatham - odd really, my first pro job had been there when it was the Locarno...

We met to rehearse the cabaret, and one of the dancers, who were to be bus-ed in each night from Bertie Green's Astor Club - was cursing up a storm, as she had had to come in while on holiday. I later moved in with her, and eventually we married! Sadly, seven years later she flew the coop, and we divorced - but we are still in touch, although she lives in Las Vegas.

Derek100 Mon 02-Apr-12 15:55:43

Fascinating story - and you - Feetlebum - what happened to you - still playing (what instrument?) and did you ever meet Miss Right or were they all Wrong?

expatmaggie Mon 02-Apr-12 16:33:27

I met DH when he was an assistant teacher in England on a European exchange between UK, France and Germany. My girl friend was teacher at that school and asked me if she should bring the French and German assistant teachers along to a party.
'Only if they're good looking' I replied flippently and she said 'Well they definitely are' and brought him. For him it was love at first sight and for me it took three weeks longer.
This was followed by years and and years of learning German, and writing letters everyday until we managed to get enough money etc to live in Germany.
Students were poor in those days as well.We had no wedding reception or honeymoon only drinks and snacks at home, but we didn't mind at all!

granbunny Tue 03-Apr-12 07:03:34

I don`t actually KNOW Royton, but I know of it.

numberplease, there are some who would say that was the best way...not me, of course, not me....

Libradi Tue 03-Apr-12 17:35:20

Met my DH at a party . He was visiting his mum here in Devon, the family were originally from London but his mum moved here when his mum and dad separated and got taken along to the party by his brother. He walked me home and arranged to meet the following night for a drink. Six months later after a lot of phone calls, and long coach trips, he made the move from London. Twelve months later we were married. Been happily married now for 34 years. We would probably have never met if his mum hadn't moved here and if we hadn't both been invited to that party.

feetlebaum Wed 04-Apr-12 13:14:13

@Derek100 -- that's feetle ^baum^ if you don't mind!

Yes, what happened to me... in the early 1980s I had to quit the music business, as the hampsteads, the choppers failed me, and there wasn't enough work arranging and directing to keep me going. This was after wife #2, had fled, by the way. Another young woman had moved in... funny thing, after seven years she too vamoosed... oh well. After that I said to hell with it, I'm not going though all that again... and I didn't. I grabbed at a chance to join a fledgling mini-computer software company, and stayed with that firm for seventeen years, living a bachelor life.

All part of life's rich passing pageant...

Daman Wed 17-Oct-12 14:26:18

We met at a club on Jersey in 1960.
I said "May I drive you home"
She said "Have you got a car?"
I said "No, a whip!"
She laughed (it was easier to say things like that in those days).
It was the start of a good and long relationship.

gillybob Wed 17-Oct-12 14:30:38

I met my OH when I became his Temp blush

He says that he took one look at my (then) curly perm and fell head over heels in love!

I say, he was a bit of a nerd (Engineer) and I thought I could probably modernise him a bit ! grin

jeni Wed 17-Oct-12 14:35:27

At a hop at Birmingham university in 1964.

gillybob Wed 17-Oct-12 14:53:24

Daman grin there is no way you would get away with that these days !

granjura Wed 17-Oct-12 17:51:52

Clapham Junction midnight April 1970- had just arrived in London. I was on the wrong train and I said 'excuse me Sir- I am on the wrong train, can you help me' - so he married me (a bit later - and the last thing I was looking for smile still together.

Gally Wed 17-Oct-12 18:13:26

I was working for a house developer in the sticks and he used to visit weekly from head office where he was an architect. He had recently separated from his first wife. Went to a company 'do' with someone else and left with him and that was that. Married a year later at the end of '73 and it lasted until January this year when, sadly, he ran out of puff sad but we had 38 happy years.