Gransnet forums

Chat

How did you meet?

(65 Posts)
CharlotteOldie Wed 14-Mar-12 15:37:00

We'd love to hear stories from Oldies on how they met and when. Was it on a park bench? At school? On a bus? You need not be married, you could just be old friends. Encounters of any kind, particularly ones that led to life-long friendships..

numberplease Wed 14-Mar-12 15:53:01

Me and hubby, or should that be hubby and I? We met at a dance at the Carlton ballroom in Rochdale, late November 1962, don`t even know if it`s still standing! I was there with a group of girls from work, and after a disastrous evening spent dancing with all the wrong people, was finally asked up by this passably (then!) good looking boy at about 11pm. After the dance, which was a barn dance, remember them? he took me for a drink at the bar, and asked if I liked brass bands! As a matter of fact, I did, and it turned out he played in one. We arranged to meet and go to the pictures the following night, and the rest is history. We married in July 1963.

Elegran Wed 14-Mar-12 16:27:01

How did you get a whole forum topic to yourself, *CharlotteOldie? Not just a conversation or thread, a whole topic?

wotsamashedupjingl Wed 14-Mar-12 16:28:24

Give us our top bit back.

Geraldine's coming.

Elegran Wed 14-Mar-12 16:32:14

jingle You can rant when we know WTF is happening. Just keep clear just now. If there is a problem, non-reaction is the best defence. If not, you will make an enemy for no purpose.

wotsamashedupjingl Wed 14-Mar-12 16:37:18

WQell, that brightened the afternoon up. smile

You worry too much Elegran wink

gracesmum Wed 14-Mar-12 16:40:16

I am getting tired of Charlotte Oldie 's appropriation of our forum threads. If I could bring myself to shut up, I might vow not to post on any headed Oldie Borum (whatever that means) but I'd rather join the rant.

Elegran Wed 14-Mar-12 16:43:31

Read Geraldine's explanation on the Oldie Borum thread on "Chat"

wotsamashedupjingl Wed 14-Mar-12 16:43:33

mutter....... makes you want to go over to that other place....... almost

and I don't mean Mumsnet.

jeni Wed 14-Mar-12 16:55:32

Isn't that what the Lords call the Commons? confused

Butternut Wed 14-Mar-12 17:07:02

I don't think I'm an Oldie, and don't feel like one, either.

What does Borum mean - Bore 'em to death?
Bore 'em stupid

Is it a pun of Forum?

What DOES it mean?

Nah, not doing it for me.

Butternut Wed 14-Mar-12 17:10:13

Think I posted this on the wrong thread. It should be on the plain old Oldie Borum Chat - but my sentiments haven't changed, apart from wishing I'd put a few grin's in.

wotsamashedupjingl Wed 14-Mar-12 17:16:04

Don't worry jeni. Everything's alright now. smile

glassortwo Wed 14-Mar-12 17:22:26

I initially met my OG at school when I was four, I then left and we were stationed all over the world as my Dad was in the RAF. Then came home to start secondary school and in needlework one afternoon the teacher came to me and asked me to sew Mr Glass trousers as he had split them so that is how we got together and here we are 2 DC and 5 DGC and40 odd year later.

Asked the wrong person to sew the pants as I cant sew a button on grin

absentgrana Wed 14-Mar-12 17:23:48

jeni I think it's what the Commons call the Lords.

wotsamashedupjingl Wed 14-Mar-12 17:26:06

That's amazing Glass!

Really sweet. grin

absentgrana Wed 14-Mar-12 17:43:52

I had just moved – with a partner who proved to be violent after a while – and made several new friends in the local pub. The local pub was very local a diagonal crossing of the road. Among the friends was the never-married Mr absent in his forties who apparently decided instantly that I was the woman he was going to marry in spite of the fact that I already had a partner (to whom I wasn't married), wore very tatty jeans and my hair looked like a rat's nest. I met up with these friends, including Mr absent, quite frequently in spite of the fact that violent partner gave them all instructions not to speak to me, not to make me laugh, not to offer me a drink, not to accept a drink from me and accused every man – and boy– in the neighbourhood of sleeping with me (completely untrue).

Eventually I threw violent partner out of my house (it was my house not joint ownership) and carried on seeing friends. Some considerable time later Mr absent proposed. I was shocked and having divorced my first husband, had no intention of remarrying. I hope my refusal was gentle, but whether it was or not, he persisted. I don't mean he kept asking; he was just around and being kind and helpful. After two years he asked again and I said yes.

We were married on 1 April 14 years ago as, somehow, it seemed very appropriate, and we had a huge reception in the same local pub. It is also the local football team's supporters club and shortly before our wedding, a match was rescheduled for that day. We had one bar, they had the other and towards the end of the evening we put some of our dishes of food out for them and it was all great fun.

The most ironic thing is that in the 1970s we lived in the same street on opposite sides, shopped in the same corner shops, went to some of the same pubs, but never met.

glassortwo Wed 14-Mar-12 19:43:43

absent destined to be together smile

flowerfriend Wed 14-Mar-12 20:09:49

First Mr Flower was a solicitor - now safely no longer with us - and when he was about to introduce me to X who became Second and Final Mr Flower he said quietly in my ear that he hoped I would be nice to him. Well...........what was I to do being such an obedient wife.

Faye Wed 14-Mar-12 20:17:55

Nice story absent I like romantic stories of people whose paths cross many times before they meet. It seems, to me anyway, that they are meant to find each other.

Expartner and I must have crossed paths when I was sixteen sitting with my boyfriend (who I married a bit later) at the ice skating rink watching the ice hockey players. Thirty six years later I met the ice hockey playing creep and wasted five and a half years on him. Also strange he met his two ex wives at the same ice skating rink, he must have spent a lot of time there. I am sooooo glad that I didn't end up marrying him even though he asked me. I just wonder why a creep had to cross my path. confused

Annika Wed 14-Mar-12 20:20:43

When Mr Annika first asked me out on a "date" it was in the early hours of a winter morning, I was on my way to work and he was leaning on the garden gate waiting to go to work. I have to add here that it was pitch dark ! But we have been together now for 41 years and married for 39 years.smile

grannyactivist Wed 14-Mar-12 22:41:29

I met The Wonderful Man in East Anglia - where we both attended the same church. So when I say I thank God for him, I really mean it! grin

TWM was born in Bolton and I was born in Manchester. I later discovered that his ancestors and mine lived a couple of doors apart in a tiny Lancashire village and would certainly have known each other very well.

gracesmum Wed 14-Mar-12 23:13:59

Re what GA said about the press- is this going to provide source material for some article in The Oldie?

harrigran Wed 14-Mar-12 23:32:47

I met Mr harri when I was 17 in 1963, I was on a car rally and he was the navigator. We courted for four years and married as soon as I qualified as a nurse. We didn't live together before we married so it was a totally novel experience moving into our little cottage after the wedding.

kittylester Thu 15-Mar-12 05:09:04

I worked for the same company as my, now, brother in law who invited his brother to the Christmas party. I thought the party was really boring and was preparing to leave and catch the last bus home when some one asked me to dance. I almost refused as I was very with-it (or so I thought!) and the dance was 'The Gay Gordons' (definitely NOT with-it). Luckily, I took a chance! He proposed 6 weeks later, we married 6 months after that and are still here 42 years later after 5 children, grandchildren, happiness and sadness, fun and laughter, challenges and triumphs and lots of love. smile