Gransnet forums

Chat

What's good in your world....?

(198 Posts)
grannyactivist Tue 08-May-12 00:57:41

This weekend I've enjoyed a champagne tea party (where I met a man who really is a 'rocket scientist');
watched all the episodes (do date) of The Bridge;
cleaned the patio and planted some pretty spring flowers round the pond;
attended a 'literary salon' (not really sure what it's about yet, but it was fun meeting lots of new people);
had a lovely chat with the Wonderful Man (who has now been gone since Friday morning and is almost at Hirtshals, North Denmark)
and spent a lovely morning with my daughter, her fiance and my grandson.

Finally - and most importantly - after a terrible accident which resulted in her developing meningitis, the 7 month old granddaughter of a friend is improving and it seems the anticipated damage will be less severe than was expected.

What's good for you right now?

soop Tue 08-May-12 13:12:34

AlisonMA Goodness me, you do have a lot to be happy about.
In my world, I'm happy to have a loving husband and a decent family. I live in a small, cosy home beside the sea, close to a wee village of delightful, friendly people. Four feral cats, a family of Sika deer and countless birds make daily visits to our garden beside the wild wood. I am enjoying a crusty chicken roll and an apple for lunch. My new hip is doing well. I can walk a fair distance using one crutch. And I'm blest with you lot on GN. smile

jingl I've sent cushions hurtling into outer space during angry moments. I also slammed the phone down with such force [at work] that it broke into several components and was deemed beyond repair. blush

soop Tue 08-May-12 13:23:43

Took large bite of apple. It is rotten to the core. Lesson learned...take the good with the bad, and count your blessings. sunshine

Annobel Tue 08-May-12 13:30:49

soop - eugh! shock

jeni Tue 08-May-12 13:40:19

My oh soon learnt that if he stood still he was safe!

GoldenGran Tue 08-May-12 13:49:26

soop read your post just as I was struggling with what was good in my world! So have now kicked myself, pulled myself together and here it is. Lovely house, adorable husband, great children and Grandchildren and good health. Aren't I luckysunshine WE'll forget the rest, that too will pass! soop flowers

Mishap Tue 08-May-12 15:12:37

What is good? - we have just spent the morning with our dear 3 year old GS (and he's coming again tomorrow - even better!). He is at the most delightful age - a very articulate wee lad who wants to discuss absolutely everything in minute detail - he is also so affectionate, humourous and warm in every way - he is a complete delight and we are so lucky to see so much of him. He has just got into imaginary friends and has a dinosaur friend who lives in his pocket. Being with him is to be given the opportunity to see the world afresh - what a delight!

What else is good? - the wonderful view from our home, which lifts our spirits every day, rain or shine; and the warm and supportive messages from gransnetters on another thread where I spoke of my husband's Parkinson's disease. Thank you for all that.

harrigran Tue 08-May-12 15:19:48

I have bright new pots and lavender plants to go in them, I am going to make the bees very happy by placing them all round my patio.
On Saturday I am going to have lunch with my DS,DIL and GC to celebrate my birthday. On Tuesday we are going to drive to Kent and on Wednesday we will go through the tunnel and drive to Brussels to stay with DD and SIL.
Life is good and if the powers that be can manage a little sunshine that will be even better.

tanith Tue 08-May-12 15:21:00

A sunny break in the black clouds long enough for me to mow both front and back lawns.. yippee!!! I didn't think that was going to happen today..

nanachrissy Tue 08-May-12 15:29:22

Welcome dotty to the wonderful world of Gransnet smile
Annika sunshine to you

absent I hope you didn't damage anything? (evil) grin

Greatnan Tue 08-May-12 16:36:17

absent - I am shocked! How could you waste such a lovely meal?
My mother used to throw things at my brother but he was too quick for her usually. One day she was about to throw a plate of potato hash, but realised we were short of plates, so she just scooped up the hash in her hand and threw that at him. My older sister used to give mum shoes to throw at him!

absentgrana Tue 08-May-12 16:52:21

Only the pie, not the dish. (I had to play lacrosse for years at school.) Hottish – the filling was warm and the potato freshly mashed but it hadn't yet been in the oven. I chucked it over my shoulder where he was standing (lurking) being tiresome but didn't aim it directly at him. It didn't do his shirt or jersey any good and I also had to wash my top and scarf. We had mashed potato gate not long ago and now we have shepherd's pie gate – this will hugely entertain absent daughter and absent son-in-law.

No one was injured in the making of this nonsense. (Btw. We shall have a proper supper tonight. He can sleep in the matrimonial bed again tonight.) grin

absentgrana Tue 08-May-12 16:54:08

greatnan Two others for the freezer – just Sunday's supper.

Nonu Tue 08-May-12 17:39:14

Absoluty everything , can"t think of anything that is not good , lucky, lucky me [smile smile]

soop Tue 08-May-12 18:05:25

Golden smile Good for you flowers

grannyactivist Wed 09-May-12 14:20:08

Welcome dottie. smile

We've just confirmed the final details for my daughter's wedding and she is so happy it does my heart good. She's getting some lovely in-laws who are very supportive and I love the fact that my little grandson is gaining another granny and step-granny. (He'd better continue to mind his manners though - they're both Primary School Headteachers!!grin)

nanachrissy Wed 09-May-12 15:32:42

grannya so pleased everything has worked out happily. Another happy family in the making sunshine

Butternut Wed 09-May-12 20:40:25

So good to hear of everyone's happiness. (sunshine) Here's what's good in my world.....
Counting the days until my eldest son flies in with his family for my youngest son's wedding. Three weeks to go! He hasn't been here for 8 years - so it's going to be very special. It'll be the first time my grandchildren have ever visited, and just the thought of them racing around the garden is marvellous.
What a time we'll all have. smile

glassortwo Wed 09-May-12 20:44:20

butter your excitement comes across sunshine it will be fantastic, enjoy sunshine

jeni Wed 09-May-12 20:50:25

absent I played lacrosse also!

gracesmum Wed 09-May-12 21:24:41

What's good?
Littlest fella will be 2 on Saturday - although he has been practising being a terrible 2 for a couple of months already.grin
What else is good?
Well, I have been retired now for 18 months and my old school is being OFSTEDed tomorrow! smile

nanaej Wed 09-May-12 21:45:27

Enjoy butternut smile

Butternut Wed 09-May-12 21:59:01

Thanks nanej!

Grannylin Wed 09-May-12 22:48:36

Thats really good gracesmum.Its such a relief not to be a teacher anymore, especially a teacher of MFL. Did you watch Unhidden Talents last night about the student learning Arabic...it reminded me of all the years I'd wasted trying to motivate kids to learn a language!

Grannylin Wed 09-May-12 23:14:49

Pretty sure I meant 'Hidden Talents'! Time for bed.

Joan Thu 10-May-12 06:47:31

I love Wednesdays when i go to my writers' group. We encourage each other and learn a bit, but mostly we just laugh a lot. Then we go to the local cafe, have an iced coffee and share a bowl of potato wedges, and laugh a bit more. Then we go to our performance group rehearsals - the least said about that the better. Words like disorganised chaos come to mind...Still, we've got till August.

I love the winter sunshine we are having now - well, autumn really - when I can garden and play with the dog without getting too hot.