Gransnet forums

Chat

Ann Widdecombe webchat 14 June 1.30-2.30pm

(109 Posts)
GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 01-Jun-12 13:41:51

We're delighted that Ann Widdecombe is joining us for a live webchat on Thursday 14 June. A former Minister in the Home Office, as well as Shadow Health and Home Secretary, Ann is the author of four novels and a star (many would say the star) of Strictly Come Dancing. Latterly she has taken to panto, appearing last year and next opposite Craig Revel Horwood. From the serious business of prisons, for which she was responsible, to the rather less serious business of sequins, she will be happy to answer our questions.

effblinder Mon 11-Jun-12 13:12:23

I wanted to ask about your programme on Girl gangs. I just wanted to know if there was anything you noticed that could smooth the relations across boundaries like wealth, gender, age etc?

I sometimes feel like I must have things in common with people who have very different lifestyles to me, but I have difficulty working out what they might be. I always thought you did that quite well on that show.
(sorry. bit rambly...)

gillybob Mon 11-Jun-12 15:04:48

Hello Ann. Due to the economic situation many families are having to make extreme cut backs and are being faced with tough choices as to how they will meet mortgage payments, feed their children and heat their homes.

Given the above how do you stand with the cost of the recent Queens Jubilee and the forthcoming Olympics?

Many thanks in advance.

whenim64 Mon 11-Jun-12 22:57:44

An, further to the question about the death penalty, you voted for the restoration of capital punishment for terrorists. In the light of the Guildford 4 and Birmingham 6, have you changed your mind since?

greenmossgiel Wed 13-Jun-12 09:19:08

Hello Ann,
'Unsafe evidence' alone would be a good enough reason not to re-introduce the death penalty, but surely a 'life sentence' should mean 'life', and not just a few years? Is this simply an economic slant on things, because the prisons are so full? What's your view on this?
Thank you in anticipation!

AlieOxon Wed 13-Jun-12 10:00:24

Sorry, I am NOT a fan here....

nanaej Wed 13-Jun-12 10:14:18

Ann, I would also like to add the names of Timothy Evans and Derek Bentley to the list of hanged men who subsequently were shown not to be the murderer.
As a preventative measure the death penalty does not have much impact. My father, a defence barrister, said that many clients and cases he knew did not consider the potential penalty when committing murder. Numbers on death rows in US would also support this.

Annobel Wed 13-Jun-12 10:24:04

AllieOxon, well said: neither am I.

AlieOxon Wed 13-Jun-12 10:26:52

Bet we're not the only ones....

whenim64 Wed 13-Jun-12 10:46:34

Me too - as a retired probation officer, I have seen many lifers who should not be released and I would be quite content for them to remain in prison for the rest of their lives, whilst others don't need a full life sentence and will readily integrate back into the community after release. I've never met one who I believe should be killed because of their crime of killing others. If it isn't right to kill, how can we justify killing them?

Anagram Wed 13-Jun-12 12:23:55

I am an admirer, but there are already so many questions - we'd need a whole day, not just one hour!

distaffgran Wed 13-Jun-12 17:05:24

Do you think Ministers should take responsibility for the actions of their special advisers?

sailorgran Wed 13-Jun-12 17:08:59

Why is nail polish important to you? Have you always cared about looking presentable? Do you think it's important to make the best of yourself?

merlotgran Wed 13-Jun-12 22:03:17

Anne, You are well known for not pulling your punches when it comes to bewailing the falling standards of moral behaviour in young women. Unlike you, some people in the public eye are often wary of being too outspoken in case their popularity is damaged, so, to prevent a shortage of future battleaxes, which well known personality would you take on as an apprentice?

whenim64 Thu 14-Jun-12 07:41:45

Love your question merlotgran! smile

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 14-Jun-12 13:32:52

We're delighted to welcome Ann to GNHQ. She's got a fizzy water and she's ready to go...

Gran7 Thu 14-Jun-12 13:35:24

Hello Anne
I just want to say that you would have made the perfect successor to Margeret Thatcher. You really should have been Prime Minister. Love your outspokenness and common sense.
Good luck in all you do.
Gran7

AnnWiddecombe Thu 14-Jun-12 13:35:38

Hello everyone, I'm Ann Widdecombe.

granIT Thu 14-Jun-12 13:36:46

How exciting!

I wondered whether you thought that the Conservative Party has suffered since you left from being increasingly seen as a preserve of posh boys?

AnnWiddecombe Thu 14-Jun-12 13:36:48

distaffgran

Do you think Ministers should take responsibility for the actions of their special advisers?

Ministers should take responsibility for everything that happens in their departments, including the actions of special advisors and civil servants. That cannot reasonably mean that they can know everything that is happening in every corner, but it simply to say that the buck has to stop somewhere.

AnnWiddecombe Thu 14-Jun-12 13:37:53

merlotgran

Anne, You are well known for not pulling your punches when it comes to bewailing the falling standards of moral behaviour in young women. Unlike you, some people in the public eye are often wary of being too outspoken in case their popularity is damaged, so, to prevent a shortage of future battleaxes, which well known personality would you take on as an apprentice?

How about Nadine Dorries?! She is a bit wild, but you could never accuse her of failing to say what she thinks. The trick however is to think before you say what you think.

AnnWiddecombe Thu 14-Jun-12 13:39:01

sailorgran

Why is nail polish important to you? Have you always cared about looking presentable? Do you think it's important to make the best of yourself?

I do care to look appropriately dressed and tidy, but I do think that we have appearance out of all proportion. I like nail polish, but I certainly wouldn't describe it as "important".

flyingsaucy Thu 14-Jun-12 13:39:14

Do you think you have softened since you left parliament? You have changed from being quite a scary person to a sort of national treasure. Are you happy about that?

flopsybunny Thu 14-Jun-12 13:40:53

Would you have served in a Conservative-LibDem coalition?

AnnWiddecombe Thu 14-Jun-12 13:41:12

Gally

flag Ann, flag you have devoted so much of your life to politics, charities and latterly to dancing, tv, theatre, pantomime and even briefly opera. When, finally, you are on your own in your Devon home, how do you relax? Do you enjoy your own company or are you desperate to be off on your next venture. For what it's worth, I believe you are the best Speaker who never was - I was so disappointed when you decided not to go for it, particularly when the present incumbant was elected!! Do you miss the cut and thrust of politics or was it a relief when you finally retired?

I did stand for speaker! I was eliminated in the second ballot. I don't miss politics, because I got the point of retirement right. And I certainly wouldn't lie to be in coalition.

I very much enjoy my own company, which is why, apart from when my mother was living with me, after the death of my father, I have always chosen to live alone.

In Devon I read, walk and swim.

torridtimes Thu 14-Jun-12 13:42:13

Would you describe yourself as a feminist?