Gransnet forums

Chat

Ann Widdecombe webchat 14 June 1.30-2.30pm

(108 Posts)
j04 Sat 02-Jun-12 10:26:16

Hello Ann.

A few years back the government and the Beeb were trying desperately to get us all online.

As you were in government then (or at least in the other lot) could you tell me why this was? And do you think it such a good thing after all?

I am thinking of, for example, online gaming with the trials and tribulations, not to mention mindless time wasting, that that involves. And forums, such as this one and its sister site Mumsnet, where we do spend a lot of time talking to virtual 'friends', sometimes to the detriment of other things, like reading, hobbies, and family interaction. I think, with that latter example, it is more worrying perhaps with Mumsnet, where maybe children could be time deprived.

Do you ever read Mumsnet. Does it worry you?

Gally Sat 02-Jun-12 08:15:48

flag Ann, flag you have devoted so much of your life to politics, charities and latterly to dancing, tv, theatre, pantomime and even briefly opera. When, finally, you are on your own in your Devon home, how do you relax? Do you enjoy your own company or are you desperate to be off on your next venture. For what it's worth, I believe you are the best Speaker who never was - I was so disappointed when you decided not to go for it, particularly when the present incumbant was elected!! Do you miss the cut and thrust of politics or was it a relief when you finally retired?

Anne58 Fri 01-Jun-12 20:15:45

Not sure if I'll be around that day, or even if I can think of a question, but I have the utmost respect for Anne, I don't always agree with her on every issue, but I admire her immensely.

She should definitely have got the post of Speaker of the House of Commons!

greenmossgiel Fri 01-Jun-12 19:18:57

I'm so pleased to see that Ann Widdecombe's coming on! Don't know what questions I'll have for her yet, but I'm really looking forward to hearing what she has to say about things. smile

glassortwo Fri 01-Jun-12 17:28:22

Where is jingle she will be pleased to hear Widders is coming on smile

JosieGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 01-Jun-12 16:50:38

Feel free to ask her a question in advance, Gally, and we'll do our best to make sure she answers it!

Gally Fri 01-Jun-12 15:10:45

I don't believe it - I think it was I who suggested asking the lovely Widders onto GN some long time ago and now she's coming and I will be on holiday far away without the benefit of internet connection hmm Anyway here's a flag and a brew for our Widders

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 01-Jun-12 13:41:51

We're delighted that Ann Widdecombe is joining us for a live webchat on Thursday 14 June. A former Minister in the Home Office, as well as Shadow Health and Home Secretary, Ann is the author of four novels and a star (many would say the star) of Strictly Come Dancing. Latterly she has taken to panto, appearing last year and next opposite Craig Revel Horwood. From the serious business of prisons, for which she was responsible, to the rather less serious business of sequins, she will be happy to answer our questions.