Gransnet forums

Chat

saw this on another site

(64 Posts)
ninathenana Sat 18-Aug-12 14:59:19

What can you see from your window right now ??
Threw up some interesting answers smile

I can see my garden, in which we have a birdbath, currently being enjoyed by 3 starlings. Beyond that is a sports field. Then marshes and in the distance the hills and houses of the next village. (I'm on 2nd floor)

Ella46 Sun 19-Aug-12 18:00:32

It tells you how to delete if you go back to photos. When I put new ones on my profile they always go to the top, but yours are at the bottom confused

I don't get it hmm

numberplease Sun 19-Aug-12 17:47:36

Ooops! 2 of them seem to have got on there twice! Don`t know how to rectify it.

numberplease Sun 19-Aug-12 17:42:59

Just to prove that I wasn`t joking, I`ve posted pics of views from my windows, back and front!

Ella46 Sun 19-Aug-12 14:04:39

nonnasusie I wouldn't argue as my memory is not reliable these days smile

grannyactivist Sun 19-Aug-12 13:52:31

Looking out of my window I see a small front garden, framed by laurel bushes and a couple of small trees, the border is dominated by a large fuschia plant which travelled with me from my office in Manchester twenty four years ago and has accompanied me to four other homes before finally being planted out here. I see a bird-feeding station busy with tits, finches and just now, a cheeky robin; hey like the fruit and fat feed. Beyond the garden are many mature trees, two of which have rookeries. Seagulls are squawking from a neighbour's roof opposite and through the garden gate I see the lane leading to the river and the hills beyond. It's a beautiful sunny day. sunshine

nonnasusie Sun 19-Aug-12 13:50:15

Sorry,I stand corrected ! Apparently some olives can be eaten sraight off the tree but most need treating!!

jeni Sun 19-Aug-12 13:40:55

My small tree has a few olives as well. I also have lemons outside! [smug]smile
Well it is the SW

Ella46 Sun 19-Aug-12 13:40:29

nonnasusie I'm sure I've eaten olives straight off the tree in Portugal confused

whenim64 Sun 19-Aug-12 13:39:02

Sorry, didn't mean edible in that respect - they're small and bullet like, and there are so few that they wouldn't be suitable for treating. I like lovely fruity Italian olives from Carluccio's!

nonnasusie Sun 19-Aug-12 13:34:01

You can't eat raw olives ,they have to be soaked for ages and treated!! I looked it up online as we have some olive trees but it looked so complicated that it's easier to buy them at the local market!! We use our olives to make oil. We pick them and take them to be pressed and end up with lovely fresh green oil!!

whenim64 Sun 19-Aug-12 13:03:42

jeni I was given an olive tree in a tub and parked it next to a south facing wall, expecting it to die, but it's thriving and has had a few olives on it, none of which have yet been edible. I must put it in the ground, as it seems to like the warmth of that spot.

Bez Sun 19-Aug-12 12:28:59

I can see the murky Welsh weather from within Jeni! Can see the mountains too but not many sheep today. The sky is very overcast although the rain has now stopped.
Yesterday I saw my lovely Dordogne garden and, after the fruit trees and the walnut tree, the farmer's maize crop which is now taller than me and obliterating the rest of the view. I must try and speak to the new farmer who has bought the field as when the maize flowers especially if it then gets damp it makes OH have a bad chest with his asthma - can give you farmers lung we hear. The last farmer stopped growing maize when I told him and grew wheat, soya or best of all sunflowers!

jeni Sun 19-Aug-12 12:24:04

You did say olives?

whenim64 Sun 19-Aug-12 12:08:01

Immediately outside my kitchen window is my kitchen garden, with pear, apple, plum and olive trees, strawberry beds, blueberry and gooseberry bushes and lots of pots of rosemary, chives, sage, rhubarb and parsley, interspersed with snapdragons, lavender, ferns, clematis, honeysuckle and other climbers, rockery plants like aubretia and stonecrop and a beautiful hydrangea that is totally out of place - dominates the garden. Then, there is a row of outbuildings in which I have created a potting shed/cold frame, and there's another hidden garden behind there that I can't see, but is situated in the woods, where there are some ancient oaks and many different British trees in which I often see tawny owls roosting.

I'm going to have a Velux window put in the loft, convert it to a sewing/bed room, and I'll be able to see over the outhouses to the hidden garden, which just has bushes and stepping stones through the meadow grass at the moment. Foxes tend to hang out there as they don't get disturbed.

jeni Sun 19-Aug-12 12:01:03

In my school song
To mercias ancient kingdom came
Long years ago
St chad whose name
We hold in veneration!

The friary school Lichfield where he preached( the town, not the school!)

jeni Sun 19-Aug-12 11:57:30

Wales has gonesad it's sad and murky! So much for drying washing outside!

absentgrana Sun 19-Aug-12 10:56:23

My office is at the top of the house and has a Velux window in the roof. I can see patches of blue sky and gently moving fluffy clouds that have shaped themselves first into the shape of a husky's head, then into a hamster, then a sleeping cat with its tails wrapped around its paws and finally into lion with a huge mane. Quite a zoo.

Annobel Sun 19-Aug-12 10:46:36

All I can see from my window at the moment is trees and shrubs. Beyond, across the brook, there's one especially handsome oak and various conifers plus a huge birch in which magpies nest. Closer, I have a red maple and a weeping green one, three rowans and two ornamental malus which have shed leaves far too early this year. The variety of foliage among the trees and shrubs is especially pleasing, but much pruning is called for. From where I am sitting, I cannot see the weeds, but I know they are there.

NfkDumpling Sun 19-Aug-12 10:11:00

That description sounded really lovely Greatnan until you said the S word. Four months of it! It's not the stuff itself or even the cold, it's having to wear all those clothes and the long nights and the effort of getting from one place to another.

Bit different from our view of the social club and car park. The band were playing Dire Straits when we went to bed. Sometimes it feels really weird laying in bed with people chatting so close by. Always have to remember to check the curtains!

Lovely this morning though, Sunday, all quiet except for the church bells.

Greatnan Sun 19-Aug-12 08:55:44

I can see the forested hillside across the road. A pair of little cottages has been built in the field immediately before my block of flats, but as I am on the second floor they don't impede my view. My balcony is angled so the view is down the valley. I have an even better view from the landing at the back of the flat - a very steep slope with a forest on the crest. It is especially beautiful when snow covered (which is often for about four months!)

glassortwo Sun 19-Aug-12 08:54:47

It is grannylin

Bags Sun 19-Aug-12 08:52:55

Love this thread!

sook, where I grew up in N Lancs the parish church was St Chad too. Never heard the name anywhere else till you mentioned it.

Grannylin Sun 19-Aug-12 08:51:43

Is it Janet and Allan Ahlberg? I love their books! I feel like the baby, I'm still lying in bed looking out over a garden that looks like a jungle and it's still grey and wet. Pity anyone who is camping in Devon or Cornwall this weekend.

glassortwo Sun 19-Aug-12 08:38:31

This thread makes me think of a favourite book of my DC and now a favourite with the DGC, its a bit battered now, but I think it will last for the DGGC.

Here's a little baby, one two three.
Stands in his cot, what does he see?
Peepo. And what does he see?

Nanadogsbody Sun 19-Aug-12 08:30:00

From my window I can see the grass needs cutting, the roses need pruning, the 'water fester' (hey thanks iPad that's a far better description than water feature) ' needs cleaning as its dripping green slime and the DGC toys need putting away.
hmm