Gransnet forums

Chat

saw this on another site

(63 Posts)
ninathenana Sat 18-Aug-12 14:59:19

What can you see from your window right now ??
Threw up some interesting answers smile

I can see my garden, in which we have a birdbath, currently being enjoyed by 3 starlings. Beyond that is a sports field. Then marshes and in the distance the hills and houses of the next village. (I'm on 2nd floor)

kittylester Sat 18-Aug-12 15:19:05

Kitchen window - small but rampant back garden with a garden table, 6 chairs and umbrella, 2 benches, geraniums in pots, pond with fountain, crab apple tree, bird table, lots of herbs in pots, 3 well chewed hostas in pots, insects buzzing round the fennel making it seem alive, butterflies dancing round the buddleia, whirly gig washing line with my dressing gown, lots of grasses blowing gently in the breeze, lots of different greens but not much other colour this year and what there is appears to be pink.

Front windows - largish front garden covered in 'pink' granite with shrubs around the periphery, a victorian granite wall, a small but busy road out of the village with people passing on foot, 2 wheels or four, on horses, tractors and, just now, an ambulance and 2 policecars (wonder what that was about?) On the other side of the road a terrace of 3 granite built cottages, 5 1970s 'boxes' which are now as individual as their occupants, some with extensions, some with well tamed gardens, some with blowsy gardens and one with a bench and lots of bird feeders. And, of course, people who live there!

What a good thread - that made me look properly at things I see every day.

jeni Sat 18-Aug-12 15:22:47

A lot of sand between Wales and England. A red admiral in the buddlea, a water lily blooming in the sunshine, green fields in Wales.two other butterflies ?tortoiseshells, two mating dragon flies.

And the old git next door, topless and in shorts doing something in his garden! Not a pretty sight! Shouldn't be allowed! It's an affront to public dignity!sad

jeni Sat 18-Aug-12 15:25:16

And my iPad has an attack of dyslexia today, the red admiral came out as raw admiral!confused

johanna Sat 18-Aug-12 15:30:42

You can't fool me Jenny, you were thinking Rear Admiral! grin

jeni Sat 18-Aug-12 15:34:00

I NEVER think of rears! If you have mine, there's too much to think about!

soop Sat 18-Aug-12 16:01:21

I forced myself into a new-fangled, lycra, hold-it-all-in undergarment [hoping to looking sylph-like when I meet the GN's] I suffered it for half an hour, after which, I had a touch of the "vapours" and had to struggle out of the darn thing. Can you believe it...the struggle left a row of wee bruises on my backside. B*** that for a game of soldiers! hmm

Barrow Sat 18-Aug-12 16:20:19

Looking out of my rear window I can see a herd of cows in the field and a deer has just come out of the woods in the distance

Ella46 Sat 18-Aug-12 16:29:18

soop I hope you weren't standing in the window (see OP) while you were extricating your btm?!
grin

soop Sat 18-Aug-12 16:34:18

Ella I'm far too shy. Was in the bedroom. Had to lie on the bed to get my bumpy bits to lie flat enough for the squeeze-in. Mr soop passed through the room and did a double take. I just grinned - cheekily! blush

Ella46 Sat 18-Aug-12 16:42:53

soop Life's too short!! grin

Marelli Sat 18-Aug-12 16:47:15

Oh soop - no!! Don't go getting all dressed-up for next Sunday - I'll need to go and look out my gownless evening strap now....! grin

kittylester Sat 18-Aug-12 16:48:57

But soop who could see that from their window? confused Agree with Ella that life is too short to be trying to squeeze bits where bits don't want to go but I'm still confused

ninathenana Sat 18-Aug-12 16:53:25

jeni that "old git" could be mine smile

soop Sat 18-Aug-12 16:54:59

Honestly, my darlings, I promise not to wear the new-fangled wotsit. As you say, Ella - life's too short. I have a longish skirt, purchased on Ebay [that hides the lumpy bits very nicely.] A plain-ish, loose-ish top, a pseudo silk scarf, and the watch with beaded strap [bought for a song at the local art/craft show.] I shall need one of my NHS sticks. May tie a ribbon around it, as it's a special occasion! Whoop whoop!! grin

kittylester Sat 18-Aug-12 16:56:46

Still bewildered confused

jeni Sat 18-Aug-12 17:00:07

I've just seen my first comma butterfly! On my window ledge! Never seen one before!

soop Sat 18-Aug-12 17:01:13

kitty don't fret. Have just had a generous slice of date and walnut cake. No chance that I shall entertain the idea of squeezing into "that thing" ever again. From the window, I can see a perfectly placid sea. It's baby blue. The islands are a soft purple. I imagine that there will be a gorgeous sunset again tonight.

glammanana Sat 18-Aug-12 17:01:42

Oh soop it sounds quite painful me dear,there is defininatly truth in my dear mum's saying that elastic is man best invention and if we where all the same size life would be b..... miserable.smile
From my lounge window I can see the tops of The Three Graces (Liverbirds) and the edge of The River Mersey and to-night I will see the fireworks as a liner leaves the port.
From my kitchen window (1st floor apartment) I can see the houses that run across the back of us and their displays of hanging baskets on the porches and just under our window I can smell the lilies that have opened this past week and send lovely scented smells to my window.
p.s from the lounge I can see my washing in the back garden but we will forget about that I think .

jeni Sat 18-Aug-12 17:02:49

nina shouldn't think ANY Gnetter would own up to this nasty!

soop Sat 18-Aug-12 17:02:52

kitty what is it that you don't understand? smile

Marelli Sat 18-Aug-12 17:04:04

From my (living-room) window I see my long garden with an oak tree at the end. Underneath this is a little tomato 'tent' which isn't doing very well with regards to tomatoes as we should have put it somewhere else not so shaded. A birdhouse - (empty of birds at the moment because Daisy the Cat has just pranced down the garden) - in front of which is a large clump of lupins and monbretia. There's a clump of pretty love-in-the-mist at the end of the lawn.
soop, we can't have you coming over all unnecessary next Sunday! Get those corsets off! grin

jeni Sat 18-Aug-12 17:04:56

The tide is coming in now and the channel is blue for a change! Lovely, look you!

soop Sat 18-Aug-12 17:08:01

From the back window I can see Rory [still asleep.] Lots of birds going hither and thither, and the ancient forest.
jeni confused

jeni Sat 18-Aug-12 17:11:55

It's usually cold grey sea!