Gransnet forums

Chat

What's been your favourite holiday?

(45 Posts)
getmehrt Sun 02-Sep-12 14:00:19

With back to school, new terms etc, DH and I have been talking about our favourite holidays. We find to our horror that we have different ideas....

What was your best ever holiday - and why?

Frankel Mon 03-Sep-12 13:04:00

I had a dream holiday in Flagrante Delicto. I was much younger and it was very hot. sunshine

AlisonMA Mon 03-Sep-12 13:19:01

Been there too Frankelgrin

Nonu Mon 03-Sep-12 13:32:59

Where"s that then ! CSL

Greatnan Mon 03-Sep-12 13:41:17

You are too young and innocent to know!

I was disappointed in the Maldives because the coral had been bleached by El Nino. I like active holidays and there was nothing to do but lie round the pool. It took 20 minutes to walk right round the island. The video they showed to try to sell diving trips still showed pristine, colourful coral and when I asked when it had been made they looked very sheepish.
Islands such as Martinique and Guadeloupe (both French speaking) are large enough to make it worth while hiring a car and seeing the lovely interiors.

Egypt is quite safe in the Red Sea Resorts, but this is not the right time to visit Cairo or Luxor.

I am looking forward to exploring the countries of the Far East when I emigrate to New Zealand.

Nonu Mon 03-Sep-12 13:43:10

Enjoy !

Rosiebee Mon 03-Sep-12 17:20:01

We did a cruise and stay, taking in the Med and then staying in Majorca, 12 weeks after my DH finished his course of Radiotherapy. That was wonderful just because as we kept saying to each other - 'We're here aren't we.' There had been times when we didn't think that we would both 'be here'.
It made us think that we've got to do things while we can, so a few months later we celebrated my 60th with a trip to San Francisco, Hawaii and Las Vegas. We did a cruise around the Hawaiian Islands and a week in Honolulu. Brilliant holiday, highly recommended. Now looking at Hong Kong and Thailand in February. Trying to do all the long haul holidays while we're fit.

Nonu Mon 03-Sep-12 17:38:43

You absolutly must.

jeni Mon 03-Sep-12 17:49:23

Hey! We're going to Alexandria. And Israel! Nice peaceful cruise!

anneandgraham Mon 03-Sep-12 17:49:29

Rosiebee that sounds lovely holiday! we off to India in 5 weeks time, but next year are going be cautious as our little king charles in 9 now and had couple operations for tumours, tho thankfully not been ill, hate leaving her in kennels!!

Always fancied Hawaii got a sort of ring to it.

We loved the Seychells went there for our silver wedding.

Done China and Thailand and quite few different places.

Grannyknot Mon 03-Sep-12 17:54:44

getmehrt very reassuring to know that other couples also have different ideas of what makes a great holiday. I like activities, DH can lie on a sunbed by the pool all day. Mostly we strike a nice balance. Best is when he goes off to play golf and he leaves me to do my own thing - for that Scotland's the best.

whenim64 Mon 03-Sep-12 18:01:25

My favourite holiday was spent travelling around California, Nevada and Arizona, vising Yosemite National Park, the Grand Canyon, the Mojave Desert, San Diego, Los Angeles, along Route 66 and a long journey along the Pacific Coast road, and far too many other beautiful places to list. San Francisco was memorable and I would return there again and again. I loved it because of the beautiful scenery and wildlife, and the American way of life gives me no end of amusement. On a daily basis we would say 'only in America....!' smile

Nonu Mon 03-Sep-12 18:09:55

Oh yea When , big time [grin grin]

AlisonMA Mon 03-Sep-12 18:13:03

Rosiebee That must have been a great holiday in Majorca!smile I think more of us should have your attitude to do things now - just in case!

We did HK last year on impulse as our son was going to be working there for a week and asked us to go along. Don't go if you have breathing difficulties as there is constant smog. Have tea at the Peninsula, a special treat. We loved Thailand too.

anneandgraham I hope you enjoy India as much as we did, it made us want to go again and do another part. Now we are not so keen on eating Indian food here as it is not the same.

I suppose we are lucky as we like the same kind of holidays. We try to have one very active one and one 'fly and flop' each year and are both happy with the different types. This October will be the first time we have gone back to the same hotel as previously since the boys were young as usually we try to do something different. This one was so good we are going back for a second relaxation month.

annodomini Mon 03-Sep-12 18:56:13

That's so true about HK, Alison. I had a stopover there on the way home from NZ. I had a sore throat all the time I was there. But I enjoyed trawling the back streets of Kowloon and got a few bargains at the jade market.

AlisonMA Tue 04-Sep-12 12:48:18

anno did you find it quite difficult to get out to the interesting things? We did eventually but so much of it is just shops!

GillieB Tue 04-Sep-12 13:10:49

We are off on Friday to do an almost exact repeat of what we did last year - flying to LA, driving south to Escondido (near San Diego), spending a week there and then driving to Scottdale in Arizona for another week. We just love the States (and the sunshine!). This year we want to do to San Diego Zoo which we missed last year and we have also decided that we'll have a drive up to Sedona while we are in Arizona and see those wonderful red rocks.

We have been going to the States in September for many years now and have always had a wonderful time (even allowing for the fact that we got caught up with Hurricane Isabel one year, and then we were in Washington a few days after the Americans started bombing Afghanistan just after 9/11 and got caught up in an anthrax scare - oh, and of course, I forgot, Washington when the Washington sniper was about!).

From the time our youngest was two we had some fantastic holidays in France, first Europcamping and then with our own caravan - wonderful memories.

AlisonMA Tue 04-Sep-12 13:32:37

Have a good time Gilly although it sounds to me as if you already know you will. smile

GillieB Tue 04-Sep-12 20:44:22

Thank you, Alison - you are quite right, of course. The only thing that puts us off these days is the length of the flights - and that's just a case of grin and bear it, I am afraid.

anneandgraham Tue 04-Sep-12 21:05:14

Thanks Alison MA glad you recommend!! we doing Tiger safari and seeing Taj Mahal, people trying worry us about deli belly!!

do not think we need more jabs seeing nurse next fri that was not easy to get appt!! my typhoid runs out next year, but we updated Polio and tetanus when we went to Cape Verde in 2010 so fingers crossed we ok!!

the visa is a palaver isnt it??