Gransnet forums

Chat

Funny old sayings that give away (y)our age

(131 Posts)
Grannyknot Tue 11-Sep-12 22:53:21

I said at work today 'I doff my hat to you' and my colleague looked at me blankly. I also recently said 'photo-stat machine' till a young colleague said 'Why do you say that, instead of photocopier?' (blush). I wondered why myself, and then remembered about roneo-stat machines, but decided against trying to explain to a 23 year old. No wonder DD sometimes says to me "How do you still fool them at work, woman?" grin

annodomini Tue 18-Sep-12 11:34:25

As opposed to a 'duvet day'!

vampirequeen Tue 18-Sep-12 11:29:04

Totally showed my age today. Described the weather as a blanket day and youngster had no idea what I was talking about. Didn't understand I meant it was sunny and breezy...perfect for drying blankets lol.

trendygran Mon 17-Sep-12 16:59:53

My Gran always used to announce that the bathroom was"at liberty" Can just imagine saying that to my Grandchildren. They'd wonder what planet I
came from. Mind you, I do wonder that myself at times these days!

annodomini Mon 17-Sep-12 11:19:50

Think I put that in the wrong thread - sorry!

annodomini Mon 17-Sep-12 11:18:04

Soup is made in the pressure cooker which cuts the cooking time by at least half and so saves on the gas. Since I cook only small quantities of potatoes and other veg, it's cost-effective to use the microwave - 5 minutes instead of 25 on the hob. I buy a kilo of carrots, use half for carrot and coriander soup and freeze the rest.

Oldgreymare Mon 17-Sep-12 10:25:00

P.S. My sisters and I still make it, nothing like it on a cold day. We no longer use marrow bones tho' (Butchers' attutudes when asking for them and B.S.E. put paid to that!) we use stewing beef now.

Oldgreymare Mon 17-Sep-12 10:22:23

Baubles... yes my Gran used the 'gallopping horse' expression, and yes we were sent to the village shops for messages.
Lots of Liverpudlian words and expressions used in N.Wales, we always had lobscouse on a day when Mum was washing (boiling sheets etc in a boiler!) as it could be put in a pan and left to get on with it. Lobscouse was made using marrow bones, boiled up the night before, skimmed the next day and lots of root veg added, meat came later when there was more money about!

Joan Sun 16-Sep-12 23:21:01

pale and clammy reminded me of a Yorkshire saying. An old woman was heard describing how she reacted to something scary:

'Eee, ah went white as a privy mawk (outside toilet maggot)

Marelli Sun 16-Sep-12 22:16:36

It does, anno! All pale and clammy! (Wally = plaster/pot as in 'wally dug'. The pot dogs that sat on mantle-pieces) smile

annodomini Sun 16-Sep-12 21:57:49

I still use 'peelywally' because I think it sums up a particular appearance better than any standard English expression.

Marelli Sun 16-Sep-12 21:35:39

grin Grannybug!

Grannybug Sun 16-Sep-12 21:25:21

Marelli, anno grin looking peelywally was one used in ooor hoose.

Marelli Sun 16-Sep-12 21:23:47

An' a bag o' granny sookers, tae! grin

annodomini Sun 16-Sep-12 21:03:46

A pun o' mince and hauf a stane o' tatties.

Marelli Sun 16-Sep-12 21:01:25

That's it, anno! "Gang up the street fur yer messages" or "Ah'm gau'n doon the toon fer tae get some potted heid!".....braw! grin

annodomini Sun 16-Sep-12 20:47:03

Up the street or down the town.

Marelli Sun 16-Sep-12 20:37:39

Ah went doon the street for oor messages, baubles! grin

baublesbanglesandb Sun 16-Sep-12 20:19:30

My mother's favourite response to any comment about something or other being less than perfect was 'sure a blind man on a galloping horse would never notice'.

Did anyone else go 'up the street for the messages'?

vampirequeen Sun 16-Sep-12 18:11:41

When we're in the car and keep moving at a decent speed we boodle along.....as in 'we were boodling along but then we got caught in a traffic jam'

annodomini Sun 16-Sep-12 16:24:09

When my English granny was surprised by something, her exclamation was 'Good night!' She came from Leicestershire.
My other granny, a strict Scottish Presbyterian, would come down on us like a ton of bricks if we said 'good gracious' because it was something people said instead of 'good God' and was one step removed from taking the Lord's name in vain. She must be turning in her grave now.

glitabo Sun 16-Sep-12 15:55:07

When playing games, if we wanted to be last we would say baggy laggy and second to last would be baggy seggy laggy
I used to go to the Saturday pictures for 6d. It was called the Silver Lining Club and we would all sing Look for the silver lining at the beginning of each session. The Cinema was packed with singing and cheering children and very few adults, only the cinema staff. There were no incidents of inappropriate behaviour. We cheered the goodies and booed the baddies. it was great.

soop Sun 16-Sep-12 15:29:48

Whenever my Nana hurt herself [she dropped a coal bucket on her foot on one occasion] she'd exclaim... 'OOh, it didn't 'alf give me beltink'

FlicketyB Sun 16-Sep-12 15:08:22

....and when did railway station become train station?

Elegran Sun 16-Sep-12 12:58:21

So do we. I always thought that the "jig" was a substitute for "bug".

vampirequeen Sun 16-Sep-12 12:22:38

We say 'I'm jiggered' when we've been working hard and are tired.