Gransnet forums

Chat

Some things I don't want to be told on a forum.....

(30 Posts)
Greatnan Wed 19-Sep-12 11:52:18

Chill out ...lighten up.....get over it.....move on...calm down (I was bloody calm until you said it to me! grin)

baNANA Wed 19-Sep-12 12:23:31

I'm not too wild about self appointed arbitrators calling for GNs to calm down when a heated discussion is taking place. We've all left school and I personally don't want to feel I have some teacher breathing down my neck. Presumably we are all of a certain age now, our experiences and baggage will be varied, which will of course affect our judgements on all sorts of matters such as politics and religion. How can we expect to agree all of the time. I know some GNs take things rather personally, I wish they wouldn't we are all entitled to a different point of view.

whenim64 Wed 19-Sep-12 12:32:11

Yes, love the heated discussions and opportunities for everyone to express their widely differing views. What rich veins we tap into every now and again. I've particularly enjoyed the religion and spirituality discussions just lately - so much to learn and so many issues that I hadn't really thought about before. I've gone off to root out informaion about lots of things. Very lively!

Don't like snipes, accusations of victimisation, bullying, mysterious changes in identity and abuse, though - no need for it - we're all adults and know the boundaries from speaking face to face.

Like baNANA says - don't take things personally, we are all different, thank goodness smile

petallus Wed 19-Sep-12 12:53:00

Yes, I always feel frustrated/irritated if we are in the middle of an interesting debate and someone tells us to lighten up or diversifies into accusations of rudeness and so on.

Too many changes in identity or multiple identities I find discombobulating.

Ceesnan Wed 19-Sep-12 13:28:51

Don't want to be patronised or judged to be wanting in some way because of my choice of newspaper.

gracesmum Wed 19-Sep-12 13:31:08

Apart from agreeing with petallus about new idntities I now feel I will think twice or three times before adding my comments in case I am seen as being an appeaser - I am a natural peacemaker and hate an "atmosphere" with family or friends which is what I have come to regard GNetters as.(Pedants, I know about not ending sentences with .......etc)
So, seconds out?

Nanadogsbody Wed 19-Sep-12 13:31:43

greatnan so tempting to say chill out...lighten up....move on....calm down..but I won't!

baNANA Wed 19-Sep-12 13:36:02

Ceesnan - Do agree.

gracesmum Wed 19-Sep-12 13:38:15

"Tell me about it"

Nanadogsbody Wed 19-Sep-12 14:04:20

wink

Movedalot Wed 19-Sep-12 14:10:04

Ceesnan or any other choice we might have made.

Greatnan Wed 19-Sep-12 15:48:12

That newspaper thing keeps coming back like a bad penny. Move on.....oops, sorry! grin

kittylester Wed 19-Sep-12 16:28:16

Please can we let this drop once and for all sad

Movedalot Wed 19-Sep-12 16:52:18

I thought anyone could say anything they like?

petallus Wed 19-Sep-12 17:08:27

Within reason.

petallus Wed 19-Sep-12 17:09:34

To add to the list 'please can we let this drop once and for all'. Sorry kittylester smile

Greatnan Wed 19-Sep-12 17:13:06

Of course anybody can say anything they want that does not breach forum etiquette, but it is a bit boring when people keep bringing up old arguments.
Let's all be good friends now, and just agree to disagree on religion and politics, but still debate them in a mature fashion. sunshine (And I haven't even had a glass of wine yet!)
I did mean this to be a light-hearted thread!

whenim64 Wed 19-Sep-12 17:58:48

It's funny, because the hotly debated issues do attract more postings, and it's obvious that a lot of consideration goes into many posts. That's what makes the discussion stimulating for most people. However, it becomes predictable that the same people will say they feel offended about something that certain Gransnetters have said, when no offence was intended. If I were paranoid, I might think there's some deliberate agitating going on, but I'm not paranoid, so it goes right over my head. Live and let live smile

PS, I realise that I have broken one of those rules we were enjoying on another thread yesterday, but am I bovvered? grin

kittylester Wed 19-Sep-12 18:03:13

Ok petallus but I wish people would stop going round and round the same argument which is what this thread is in danger of doing.

Greatnan Wed 19-Sep-12 18:10:22

I don't mind people having multiple identities, whatever their motivation. I can usually spot them, as it is very hard to change your style of writing, and often they hark back to something that is supposed to have happened before their 'alter ego' joined. grin
I am quite sure you would all spot me in an instance if I tried to post under another name.

whenim64 Wed 19-Sep-12 18:21:51

Too true Greatnan you are easily identifiable grin

Ceesnan Wed 19-Sep-12 19:00:02

Sorry, didn't mean to start an argument, was just responding to the question.

Greatnan Wed 19-Sep-12 19:07:11

No problem, Ceesnan - tonight all is sweetness and light. (I have just convinced the Inland Revenue that my arithmetic is better than theirs -I think the Revenue Executive might have been a bit discombobulated by having to deal with a retired Inspector!)

POGS Wed 19-Sep-12 23:35:58

I wish the accusations that there are G.N. 's with multiple identities would stop.

Take a look at Site Stuff, 'It is ridiculous how'. A thread was removed, in part, because a G.N. had accused another of being a 'troll'. Geraldine said "We do have ways of knowing if two posters are the same." Now I for one am either gullable in believing her and that is not true, or that is the case and there is no point in the comment being made.

Just because someone has a view that does not agree with yours does not make them a G.N. with a multiple identity, why bother?.

sad

Greatnan Wed 19-Sep-12 23:47:54

Sorry, Pogs, I am in a mood of complete harmony with all other members. I don't mind how many times people change their names - they must have a good reason, so good luck to them. I wish you a very peaceful night.