Gransnet forums

Chat

Edinburgh meeting / confirm numbers.

(357 Posts)
glassortwo Tue 25-Sep-12 14:04:35

As time is galloping on could you please add your name to the thread if you are coming to gally's on the 3rd of October. Then we can talk about the catering once we have established who is coming. smile

rascal Wed 22-May-13 13:03:59

whenim64; Thank you. I'm sorry something similar happened in your family too. It's just so awful and sad.

Yes I hope to find support on here and I hope to be a support on here too. It's good that there are like minded people who understand. We all need understanding and support. With best wishes.

whenim64 Wed 22-May-13 11:42:34

Rascal I have just read your story - didn't see it previously as I just assumed you were all arrangng your get-together, so I looked in today to see how it had gone.

I'm very sorry for your loss in such distressing circumstances. Somethng similar happened in my family a few years ago - a loving husband and father who died at too young an age and didn't get to meet his beautful grandchildren.

I hope you find the friendship and support on here goes some way to bringing you comfort [lowers]

rascal Wed 22-May-13 11:12:55

Thank you everyone for all your kind thoughts.
moomin; We all thoroughly enjoyed our evening. The dinner was lovely and the dining room staff at the hotel were very attentive and got my dietary requirements spot on. They went through everything on the menu to make sure I knew what was gluten and lactose free which was very reassuring! I never eat out unless the venue has been pre warned and I know they understand that I can only eat gluten & lactose free food with no cross contamination as I had been very ill before being diagnosed. We had never been there before, it had all been refurbished so now we know we will be back!
soop; thank you for your good wishes, much appreciated.
May I send my good wishes to you all too. smile

soop Sat 18-May-13 11:39:33

Rascal You are a wonderful lady. You have expressed yourself eloquently. I, together with other Gransnetters, feel your pain. All good wishes from me to you. flowers

moomin Sat 18-May-13 10:52:08

Enjoy your evening out rascal, even though you will miss your dear husband. It sounds as if you have a wonderful family and a lovely friend. Happy belated birthday flowers

rascal Sat 18-May-13 10:44:42

Oh gillybob sorry you've been crying your eyes out reading my post last night. I did that for most of the time for months and months, in fact come to think of it years. It's been a few years now but it still feels so raw at times. The only difference now is I seem to have managed to get things into perspective and my eyes don't fill up uncontrollably now, thank goodness. I can talk about my dear husband now and some of the time I'm ok about it but sometimes, it's not so easy and my tears let me down.

Eloethan Yes we did have a very loving relationship, he was my one and only, my soulmate. We never argued and never had a bad word between us. I have heard people say that's not possible but it was for us for all those years. The best years of my life and his too, but they are all away now I only have the memories left...

My family are taking me out this evening for a surprise birthday dinner for my special birthday which was last week! My dear friend is coming too she will take me when she comes in from work. It will be lovely and I'm looking forward to it. I only wish I was going with my beloved husband but am sure he will be 'there' too, looking over us. This brings tears to my eyes, what could have been. I have to have a gluten and dairy free meal so I hope the hotel gets this right! My daughter has told me they have been warned! Will let you all know how we get on! Have a good weekend everyone, the best we can make it of course.

Eloethan Sat 18-May-13 00:11:39

Rascal I was really moved by your beautiful piece of writing. It was a terrible time for you all but it seems that you are gradually picking up the threads of your life and have a good friend and family.

It's sad that you're upset that your husband didn't get to enjoy his retirement but you obviously had a very loving relationship and his life must therefore have been one of happiness and fulfillment.

gillybob Fri 17-May-13 23:26:04

Rascal all I can say is that I am lying in bed tonight reading you post and crying my eyes out. So sorry I can't add anything at all except absolute respect to you, and to family .sad

rascal Fri 17-May-13 23:12:58

Yes seasider you try to live life to the full and not waste a single day. We only have one chance of this so we better make the most of it. sunshine

seasider Fri 17-May-13 22:53:10

what a very touching post Rascal. It brought tears to my eyes. Good to see you are ready to try new things to try and fill the void. Reading stories like yours makes me even more determined to live life to the full and not waste a single day flowers

rascal Fri 17-May-13 22:13:05

Thank you everyone for your kind thought. It's good to know there are folks 'out there' who understand.
Tegan; I like writing, well it was getting this 'off my chest' so if there was anything else anyone would like me to write about let me know. I'm good at touch typing so it's no bother to me. I'll try to keep you all entertained if you can give me a subject. As I said I'm new to all this and I don't know my 'way around.' I'm self taught with this new technology; laptop etc, good when it works but hopeless when it doesn't! Thank you I will check out Life in the Slow Lane thread if I can find it. Am not sure about all this yet.
gracesmum; It was no problem thinking of others during out traumatic time. We are glad we could help others. Yes I try to be a good friend, we are best of friends, it's working out well as we can go places when she's not working it's good to have company.
Galen; So sorry you lost your darling 10 years ago, the anniversaries are so difficult to deal with.
Faye; yes I'm going it alone now unfortunately, just like a lot of others.
My best wishes to you all. Hope you have a good weekend and the weather will be lovely.

Galen Fri 17-May-13 21:17:44

Rascal I know how you feel. I lost my darling 10years ago next Thursday.
flowers

Tegan Fri 17-May-13 21:12:12

rascal; check out the Life in the Slow Lane thread. I think you will relate to what cortina has written.

Faye Fri 17-May-13 21:10:23

I was very moved by your story rascal flowers

Could HQ move this post to Going it alone please. I am sure others would like the opportunity to read it too.

rascal Fri 17-May-13 21:03:49

Oh goodness what a surprise I didn't expect a reply so soon. Thank you. No I don't write, it was just because I didn't know what to write and just typed out what happened that fateful day, which seems to be on my mind! I find this new chapter in my life so unexpected and I feel so sorry for my dear husband who worked so hard for us all and will never have any retirement. We had plans; we were going to travel and visit places we hadn't managed to see but it's not to be now. it's just so unfair. I think how it could have been.

Thank you for the lovely big hug. No, time doesn't heal completely, nothing will. It's really time that can help you try to deal with it a bit easier. But I'm certainly not as tearful as I was. My eyes would just fill up, I didn't seem to have any control of it! But now I'm not so bad. I just don't like people saying to me how terrible it was for them hearing the news and they miss him. They have no idea just how terrible it is for me and my family and how much we miss him, so so much. But I know they are trying to be nice to me. It's just so difficult. Yes it was all good times, but not anymore. Sorry for going on about all this, but it seems to help. Thank you.

gracesmum Fri 17-May-13 20:31:43

Rascal I have been very moved by your brave and honest post. You have been through a life changing experience and I can only send a big {{hug}}. Speaking as someone whose DH was at the receiving end of a transplanted organ I am so grateful to people like you who are unselfish enough at a traumatic time to remember others.You seem to be blessed with a wonderful family and good friends but I have always maintained that to have good friends you have also to be a good friend, which you clearly are. I am never sure about the saying that time heals, but it can make you better able to cope and to remember the good times. Thank you flowers

Tegan Fri 17-May-13 20:20:57

That was beautiful rascal. Have you done much writing? If not, you should. I'm glad you're feeling more at peace with what has happened.

rascal Fri 17-May-13 20:12:28

I'm new here. I don't know what to type but I'm sure there will be other people who have experience like me going it alone. I think this will turn out long so I'll say I'm sorry before I begin!

My husband was very caring, the best husband you could ever wish for he was full of life very enthusiastic, helped everyone and never had a day off his work and never needed to go to the Doctor. So what happened one Sunday morning just after the Christmas & New Year holidays a few years ago was an absolute shock to me, my family, friends & neighbours and his work colleges.

He got up early one Sunday morning to get ready to go out to buy some tools that were in a shop sale about an hours drive away. He didn't come back up stairs to say cheerio and give me a kiss which he would always do if I wasn't up before him. I decided to get up and see as he hadn't even shouted up the stairs that he was going to get the car out of the garage first.

The living room door was open and I could hear a loud noise I thought it was the cat snoring which seemed odd but when I entered the room my dear beloved husband was slumped back in a chair and the noise I heard was him breathing, his eyes were open but I knew something was terribly wrong. It looked to me he had had a stroke as his hand didn't seem right either. I dialled the emergency services and asked for an ambulance and explained what was wrong. The girl kept me talking on the phone to see if there was anything could be done before the ambulance arrived, but there wasn't. After what seemed an age, if felt far too long to me, the ambulance arrived. They tried to stabilize my husband and I went to get some clothes on as I still in my pyjamas and I phoned my Daughter. We left and I sat in the front of the ambulance with the blue light going as the two paramedics tried to keep my husband alive, they were in contact with the hospital. They told me he had died twice. The girl driver of the ambulance tried to reassure me. When we arrived the Doctors and nurses were standing outside at the door at the hospital and he was wheeled in from the ambulance. I was ushered in to a family room and just sat down in a daze with a nurse.

After a short time my daughter and son in law arrived, we had a cuddle and just sat down and waited. My sister and her husband also arrived. My daughter had phoned other members of our family and they arrived too. We just sat there. The Consultant came in and said my husband had had a sub arachnoid haemorrhage, a massive bleed in his brain and he was very sorry but there was nothing that could be done for him. They had him on a life support machine. We just couldn't believe it. It was the worst news we could ever hear. I realized my life as I had known it was over with too. We were stunned. I asked if they could keep him 'alive' as our son was working away and he was on his way to the hospital he was on a plane as we spoke. The Consultant said yes they would certainly do that. He said we could go and see my husband. It was terrible, he just lay there with his eyes open, the nurse said she was there to make sure everything was taken care of and he was looked after correctly. She said she will close his eyes now. I spoke to him and told him how much I loved him and thanked him for being such a wonderful husband and father and said you'll be away to be with your Mum & Dad now. I was just so inconsolable and he looked so peaceful. This was not the way he would have wanted things to happen but we don't have a choice in such matters. Our son eventually arrived and he was able to see his Dad for the final time just like us. Our daughter was so upset too she wanted her Dad back he was our tower of strength. This was all so awful.

The transplant coordinator came to ask if we could donate his organs. We said yes as we had already discussed this and we both had agreed we would donate our organs if there was ever that opportunity. I never expected it to be this way though. I had forms to fill in and sign. The other terrible part of this unforgettable awful day was having to leave I just didn't want to leave him there I wanted it to be how it had been for all those happy years. My son drove me home and my sister and brother in law came too. It was good to have some of my family at home with me at this horrendous uncertain time. When I got into bed alone after that terrible day that changed my life forever I lay on my pillow and just cried and cried. There was a full moon that night and it reflected on a mirror on the wall and my face was bathed in moonlight. I felt it was my dear husband letting me know he was looking after me and trying to comfort me. I drifted off in to sleep for a short time I was exhausted.

Our son was very good and managed to arrange the funeral and things. He had never done anything like this and never had I. He was in total shock and he missed his Dad so so much. When he was a young boy he shadowed hid Dad and learned everything from him. He could not believe like us all that Dad was not here for us anymore. Thankfully my family came to stay for a while, we got through the funeral and eventually family members had to return to their work so I was left alone at home, for once in my life which was just the worst thing ever. I just couldn’t concentrate on anything. I felt my lovely dear husband should just walk through the door from another room. When it was time for him to return from work I expected him to come home. But no, nothing I was totally on my own. I found I didn’t want to bother with making meals for myself, or do anything really. My GP came to see me and he offered me medication to help me through but I said no, there was no point trying to dull it in my brain I need to deal with all this as coming off this type of medication I felt I would be worse as it wouldn’t be dulled any more. So I just had to try to get on with it as best I could. When I had family and friends visiting I found I was unable to make a meal for them. I don’t know why but I found I seemed to not know what to do which was so unbelievable as I had cooked for my family for many many years. Of course there were the anniversaries which were awful to get thought. The first one was our son’s birthday, then my dearest husbands, then our daughters. Then there was holiday time. There was the anniversary of when we first met our wedding anniversary and of course Christmas and the new year. The worst one of all was the anniversary of his death that changed our lives forever. It’s never ending.

The transplant coordinator kept in touch and was able to let me know that they were able to help eight people with my husband’s organs; eyes, lungs, heart, liver & kidneys. I receive letters through the coordinator from the people who received the organs, which I was surprised at. It’s lovely to know that something good has come out of our tragedy. They are so grateful having another chance of life. I will do it again if my organs can be used when my time comes.

Our family friend whom we had known for many years come to visit me. We went a lovely run in the country and a walk with her dog, which seemed to lift my spirits for a short interlude. She told me she had split from her long term partner as he was seeing someone else behind her back. She started to visit me more often which was good as it gave me something to look forward to and we went out walking which was a tonic for us both. Of course my family was there for me and came to visit when they could but they don’t live near and they have a very young family.

A few months after this terrible event my friend and I went to my son’s home where we were having a family get together. It felt strange not having me and their Dad there together. It was difficult. It was a lovely sunny day and we took family photographs in the garden. When my friend and I got home I decided to print off the pictures. I held the picture of the whole family group in my hand and said they look good but there is someone missing, of course we knew who, which was quite upsetting for me. By then it was getting a bit dark but we had the street light shining in the room. On the ceiling in the room we could see some small sparkling lights. We thought it must have been coming from outside but there was nothing. My friend said to me if you haven’t put something up on the ceiling I’m frightened. Of course I hadn’t we just stood there watching. They stayed a while and just faded away. I am glad my friend saw them too; they looked like small twinkling stars as I’m sure people would think I was just imagining it through my grief, but no they were definitely there. This lasted for a few more evenings. I felt a bit uneasy as I had never seen anything like that before but am sure it was my wonderful dear husband just letting me know that he is still with us in spirit.

After a few years I decided to get a puppy for company which was a great idea, she takes my mind off what could have been and I’m also able to walk her with my friend while she walks her dog too. She has been very understanding and supportive and is helping me through this entire new chapter. We have become very good friends and we are there for each other, we go places together. We need to enjoy life as best we can and I need to be there for my family, they need me so much trying to deal with this terrible chapter in our lives. They have been very good, helpful and understanding and are a credit to me and their Dad. I have more lovely grandchildren now I just wish they could have known their granddad too as he would have loved to have been part of their lives just like me.

Typing all this out seems to be therapeutic, it seems to help put things into perspective so thank you for this opportunity. I have never done this before. Hope it’s not too boring!

The only thing I can say about all this is I have never cried so much in my life and that time helps to heal the ‘open wounds’ a bit. I’m talking a few years of course. You think you will never move forward a wee bit but you do through time. I look up at the sky and see the sparkling stars and sometimes there is a full moon too. I think of my wonderful dear husband a lot and I speak to him and think what would have been as our children had flown the nest and have children of their own and it was our time, but that was not to be…

soop Wed 17-Oct-12 17:06:07

GillieB Good, happy, get-well vibes coming your way. smile

GillieB Wed 17-Oct-12 16:19:12

Thank you all for your kind messages of support. I am a bit better this week, but mostly because I now know when to take the painkillers! hmm

Still haven't heard from the hospital, so I've no idea when this will all be over. To think I thought having my gallbladder out would stop all this - I've been worst since then.

I've received my lovely bookmark from Soop - it's such a lovely memento of a great day. We'll have to start planning the next one!

Notsogrand Wed 17-Oct-12 12:05:42

I've been looking forward to visiting Edinburgh for a long time Moomin. It now feels even more special. smile

glassortwo Wed 17-Oct-12 12:04:18

notso wish I could be there but its impossible, but soon be November smile

soop Wed 17-Oct-12 11:55:28

Wow! The more the merrier. I shall be with you in spirit. smile

moomin Wed 17-Oct-12 11:55:10

Notso hope you have a lovely time in Edinburgh smile

Notsogrand Wed 17-Oct-12 11:50:46

Thank you soop smile Gally and Marelli will be there too. Such lovely welcoming messages.