Gransnet forums

Chat

Why do we moan so much

(15 Posts)
Elegran Mon 22-Oct-12 19:22:53

Most were American. Not to say all Americans are like that, but the lack of knowledge of how the rest of the world lives is staggering. And the exchanges kept descending into slanging matches - nothing to do with the subject.

POGS Mon 22-Oct-12 19:16:49

Elegran

People can be so stupid as that just shows. sad

nanaej Sun 21-Oct-12 20:23:16

They are ingenious. Great use of a waste product too.

Saw a picture,somewhere online, of a raft made of old plastic water bottles.

Elegran Sun 21-Oct-12 19:48:18

I found some of the comments below the video incredibly ignorant, for instance asking why they don't just open a window, they should get electricity or buy clear plastic roofing, does it work at night, and so on.

granjura Sun 21-Oct-12 19:34:09

The sun is so strong there, that the bottles do give a lot of light, just like any skylight. Without a small amount of bleach the water in the bottles would soon turn green, and stop the light. It was amazing to see how much difference is made.

POGS Sun 21-Oct-12 19:33:01

Grannyknot

That was brilliant, I didn't understand how it worked. smile

It's just so simple.

Elegran Sun 21-Oct-12 18:41:24

MiceElf They don't give light, the light shines through them as if througha window. I think the water is to strengthen the plastic bottle which would get squashed other wise and the bleach is to prevent the growth of algae in the sunlight.

I agree about the bleach leaking crimson. The sunlight might perish the plastic and make it weaker.

Grannyknot Sun 21-Oct-12 18:38:58

I've heard of this being done, here's the youtube, it has to do with the solution absorbing sunlight www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHTD_RX3J2I. Brilliant. As for the leaking and the bleach damaging eyes, as my DH would say that's risk averse plus!

crimson Sun 21-Oct-12 18:13:13

I'm worried that, if it leaks the bleach could damage their eyes sad.

MiceElf Sun 21-Oct-12 17:54:16

I didn't see it. I'm sure I'm being thick, but how does bleach and water give light?

Bags Sun 21-Oct-12 17:09:52

Came across these via a Canadian friend a while ago. Brilliant idea.

POGS Sun 21-Oct-12 17:05:14

goldengirl

That's why we are called whinging, whining poms. smile

goldengirl Sun 21-Oct-12 16:59:00

Isn't it part of being British? smile

granjura Sun 21-Oct-12 16:51:36

Saw this programme as well - wonderful - so simple, so clever- brilliant.

(And yes, too much moaning around generally).

POGS Sun 21-Oct-12 16:48:21

I have just watched a story on Russell Howard's Good News T.V. show.

It shows a slum area called Sitio Maligaya. It was as you could imagine, squalid, dark and crammed with people. The houses are dark as they are obviously devoid of sunlight due to having no windows or lighting.

There is a wonderful man called 'Solar Demi', because he has literally brightened up their lives and homes. How? He collects empty 2 litre Coke bottles and fills them with water and bleach. He simply cuts a whole in the roof and slots them in. Hey presto light filters into the room, amazing. He has fitted 643 bottles so far.

How we take things for granted wouldn't you agree. I now wonder why something so simple can't be done all over?