Gransnet forums

Chat

notonthehighstreet.c om

(27 Posts)
ilikebiscuits Tue 06-Nov-12 14:17:42

I'm looking at the toys on notonthehighstreet.com for DGD's Christmas presents, as recommended by a friend. Has anyone else bought toys/gifts from there? Can anyone recommend me any toys? There are so many on the site I'm getting lost!

Grannybags Tue 06-Nov-12 14:24:56

I've bought quite a lot from them but no toys I'm afraid. Most of the things I've bought have been personalised which I think makes a nice gift. Always had good service

Greatnan Tue 06-Nov-12 14:25:55

Is this advertising?

Grannybags Tue 06-Nov-12 14:29:26

Oh dear I'm fairly new to this. I hope we're not in trouble!

Jendurham Tue 06-Nov-12 14:37:51

This might be advertising as well, but there is a company called Thinkfun which makes really good logic games for kids.
I have 4 grandchildren aged from 5 to 19 now. We have been buying these games for them for over 3 years, and I have still got a new one this year. There is even a chess game which comprises of a quarter of a board.
Our 10 year old grandson is autistic. He loves Rushhour and Tipover, and the chess game. His five year old sister was doing his Rushhour when she was 3 , so we bought her her own with an icecream van.
There are sites where you can play online, to see what you think of them.
Even the 19 year old will play these games when she visits.

ilikebiscuits Tue 06-Nov-12 14:37:52

Noo I'm not advertising, I'm genuinely looking for toys! grin

ilikebiscuits Tue 06-Nov-12 14:42:48

grannybags I like personalised gifts too, especially when I can buy them (I'm terrible at making things..)

I was looking at this Christmas sack, what do you think?

Jendurham Tue 06-Nov-12 14:44:27

Another company I buy lots from is Firebox. Have you tried them?
Last year I did all my Christmas shopping online, as I could not leave the house apart from when taking Ken to his radiotherapy.
What it also meant was that all the family sent their orders here because they knew we would be in!

kittylester Tue 06-Nov-12 15:02:12

'Not on the high street' is really good I think. We have a 'painting' of our house from them as has my brother of his.

Another good one for similar things is Cox and Cox.

GracieGran Tue 06-Nov-12 15:17:38

Christmas shopping already! I need to get my skates on... Just had a look at that Cox and Cox - some lovely christmassy things, thanks kittylester. grin

Sook Tue 06-Nov-12 15:20:35

Just had a quick peek at Not on the High Street some great ideas on that.

ilikebiscuits Tue 06-Nov-12 15:25:10

Ohh thanks kittylester. I like this as an alternative playhouse. Has anyone else got something similar?

kittylester Tue 06-Nov-12 15:38:14

I love that Teepee ilike and we have the wall decoration that is also shown on the wall of the room where the children sleep. I also love the Family Tree sticker for photos but I'm have to offer the DH all sorts of things to let me have one on the landing!! Things like tea in bed, every morning for a week!!!!

For any new grandchild's first C********, we always buy them a Captain's Chair with their name engraved on it. We get them from a man in Wales - the website is called www.hometimecrafts.co.uk- they have some really good toys etc. I hope that worked - I'm a virgin poster of links!!

Anyway - the fair isn't till next week so please stop saying the C word. grin

ilikebiscuits Tue 06-Nov-12 15:45:43

The Country and Living Fair is this week, so I can use the C word grin

The chair looks v cute, I've seen something similar in the little shops in Canterbury, kent.

I've just seen this teepee, which looks a lot more like it's for girls. Which one?!

Still mulling over that Christmas sack too.

Why is Christmas so hard?

Ana Tue 06-Nov-12 16:03:18

I have to say, both those tepees seem awfully expensive for what they are! hmm

Grannybags Tue 06-Nov-12 16:06:12

I love the sack too. My only GC is 1 on 22nd Dec so more pressies to buy!

Ana Tue 06-Nov-12 16:06:37

This would be more in my price range:

Play Tent

(and no, I haven't got shares in Amazon grin)

kacey Tue 06-Nov-12 16:22:44

I love not on the high street. They have such beautiful and unusual presents. Sometimes rather pricey but I have bought a few bits and bobs and always been delighted with them. Lovely gifts for babies

kittylester Tue 06-Nov-12 17:03:54

ilike we bought our first two chairs from a shop and then spent ages trying to find someone to do the carving and painting. Now we've found this man they children can keep having children grin

numberplease Tue 06-Nov-12 17:17:54

not on the high street has some lovely stuff, but a tad expensive for me.

coastwallker Wed 07-Nov-12 11:38:49

I'm very impressed with this company. I decided to start Christmas shopping yesterday afternoon and ordered tote bags for my three nieces. To my amazement they arrived this morning. The price was reasonable, free postage - really good.

glammanana Wed 07-Nov-12 13:40:23

Lovely sites with some beautiful things and good idea's too late for me as all mine is wrapped and put away ready to be delivered by mr.g. in his Santa outfit on xmas day.Last bits bought yesterday when I bought the tins of sweets for each family when they went down to £4.00 each at Asda.Only pressure to look forward to is the chefing on xmas day but I do love that really,nothing better than feeding your family.

glassortwo Wed 07-Nov-12 13:49:06

I am going to the Country Living C Fayre the first weekend in December in Harrogate with my DD, we went to the London show the Christmas before last I loved it... if you like C its a must.

glassortwo Wed 07-Nov-12 13:50:55

glamma you are very organised, I have all but two or three to get but I cant move in the bottoms of my wardrobes so I will have to have a wrapping session grin

gracesmum Wed 07-Nov-12 15:01:05

Hey I have ordered my first C present - I think that will do for now and I can relax until about 20 December when I will no doubt go into panic mode.