Gransnet forums

Chat

No en suite?

(91 Posts)
Greatnan Sun 18-Nov-12 16:47:19

I enjoy watching 'Four in a bed', where four lots of B & B owners stay at each other's premises and then rate them. Two of the properties this week could not offer en suite facilities in all rooms.
I would never consider staying in an hotel or other accommodation if I had to share a bathroom with strangers. At one time, I needed to use the toilet every couple of hours and I would have been very emarrassed if I thought I might be disturbing other guests.
My only experience of camping, in the beautiful village of Plockton, was ruined because there was one toilet between about 80 tents! Luckily, we had a chemical toilet on our small sailing cruiser, but I couldn't go down to the harbour in the dark. Never again.
Am I the only person who insists on a private bathroom/toilet?

Greatnan Mon 26-Nov-12 07:21:44

Let's hope there was never an outbreak of food poisoning! I expect chamber pots were widely used -pity the poor staff who had to empty them.

JessM Mon 26-Nov-12 07:55:15

Yes you are probably right! It was a routine part of the job of domestic servant.

Gally Mon 26-Nov-12 14:46:10

I stayed at the Belgrave Mews Hotel in Ebury Street in London a couple of years ago - 2 nights for the princely sum of £180 a night. Having arrived by air from Scotland and going out to a 'very posh birthday party' I needed a shower but found our ensuite to be no bigger than an aircraft toilet and filthy with no water coming out of the shower head - I shall try to attach the photo I took of it. There are certainly ensuites and then again ensuites hmmangry

Greatnan Mon 26-Nov-12 14:58:36

I hope you complained long and loud!

annodomini Mon 26-Nov-12 15:32:55

On a Ramblers' holiday in Cephalonia, my friend and I shared a room with the smallest en suite imaginable. She went down with a tummy bug and remarked that this was the only bathroom where she could sit on the loo and throw up in the sink at the same time. A good recommendation for their brochure, perhaps.

Greatnan Mon 26-Nov-12 15:53:41

You could do that in my bathroom too!

Ana Mon 26-Nov-12 16:01:26

I've had a couple of bathrooms like that! Very handy in some circumstances.

JessM Mon 26-Nov-12 17:01:10

Last time I had food poisoning (a smoked oyster in NZ. silly me.) i found the motel sink very handily arranged next to the loo. Saved a lot of mess.

Had a bathroom in Paxos once where there was obviously... brace yourself for DH quote "some very nasty anaerobic bacteria growing". The kind of bacteria that produce hydrogen sulphide - rotten egg gas - I think I have got that right - down the drain in the floor. Was kept under control by a bottle of bleach (a whole one) every 2 days. We did complain and they did call some drain people in... to little effect.

crimson Mon 26-Nov-12 22:11:26

Anyone watch the programme about toilets that's just been on BBC4?

Anne58 Mon 26-Nov-12 22:14:48

No, missed it!

Ana Mon 26-Nov-12 22:20:04

Damn! So did I! sad

crimson Mon 26-Nov-12 22:41:56

I'm always fascinated by programmes about the history of sanitation [or lack of it].

Greatnan Mon 26-Nov-12 22:48:30

Bill Bryson wrote a really interesting book about the development of the home, taking it room by room. I always find social history much more interesting than kings and battles!

crimson Mon 26-Nov-12 22:51:28

What was that called? I love Bill Bryson books.

Greatnan Mon 26-Nov-12 23:15:05

'At home'.