Gransnet forums

Chat

No en suite?

(90 Posts)
london Sun 18-Nov-12 17:49:09

i have many moons ago had to share a bathroom in small hotels .also trailed over fields when camping for toilet block .them days long gone smile

Smoluski Sun 18-Nov-12 17:24:42

Don't have an ensuite at home..but lucky enough to sleep next door to bathroom,..oh and have a downstairs loo...proper posh to the outside lav I grew up with...just find 'holiday tummy' a problem.grin

jeni Sun 18-Nov-12 17:24:23

The wet rooms on QE have made me envy

mrshat Sun 18-Nov-12 17:16:48

Yes, must have 'en suite' facilities and if the rest is not as good as or better than home, I'm not interested! grin

glammanana Sun 18-Nov-12 17:14:29

Greatnan I always insist on en-suite facilities when we go away it just seems correct to do so,this is the only thing that I miss in our apartment,mind it is only one bedroom but the fact that there is no en-suite has always bugged me as we always had the facility in the big family house and had the same when we lived abroad, I found it hard to adjust when we came back here,we could only find bigger apartments or houses available which included en-suites and if we had more bedrooms we would no excuse in telling people they could not stay overnight (how mean am I)

Nonu Sun 18-Nov-12 17:11:11

Not keen on the programme 4 in a bed

The people seem very amateur , not business like , so how do they expect to make money ?

Lets face it , if you are in business on your own account , and don"t want to make money , what is the point of all the hassle .

grin

kittylester Sun 18-Nov-12 17:07:13

A complete necessity! blush

Smoluski Sun 18-Nov-12 16:59:44

Oh and I like four in a bed also.

Smoluski Sun 18-Nov-12 16:57:41

With you on that greatnan ,if camping have a portaloo....hate visiting for that reason.

absentgrana Sun 18-Nov-12 16:57:18

Greatnan I don't have an en suite bathroom in this house and, as I am not planning to stay, I am not going to the effort and cost of installing one. However, I do miss it. As far as hotels are concerned, I automatically assume there will be one. However, when I met up with some of the Scottish grannies in Glasgow a couple of months ago I stayed in a wonderfully idiosyncratic hotel that didn't have en suite bathrooms. There was a basin in the bedroom and a number of loos, bathrooms and shower rooms on the same floor. It was quite a small, intimate and friendly hotel and this really didn't seem to be a problem. When I think back to the travelling I did in my childhood with my parents (my mother got locked in a communal bathroom in Zurich for 2 hours) and my late teens and twenties on my own, the lack of an en suite bathroom was often the least of my worries.

jeni Sun 18-Nov-12 16:55:52

I insisted as I wasn't going to the 'facilities' in the dark!
The men had 'en suite' ie male portable urinals that they took up to empty in the morning.

crimson Sun 18-Nov-12 16:55:16

Yes; I think I'd have to have one now. As for camping, I gave up on that years ago [although Eurocamp with it's nice frame tents and beds was ok]. My ex still goes camping using small tents that my knees can't cope with [once I'm down I'm down for good] which is another reason why he's my ex. The treck across a field to a loo became a nightmare years ago. I must admit to enjoying that programme when I catch it.

jeni Sun 18-Nov-12 16:54:18

We had a holding tank on our boat.

ninathenana Sun 18-Nov-12 16:52:01

no your not !

I'm surprised there are still establishments out there that don't have en suite's for every room.

Greatnan Sun 18-Nov-12 16:47:19

I enjoy watching 'Four in a bed', where four lots of B & B owners stay at each other's premises and then rate them. Two of the properties this week could not offer en suite facilities in all rooms.
I would never consider staying in an hotel or other accommodation if I had to share a bathroom with strangers. At one time, I needed to use the toilet every couple of hours and I would have been very emarrassed if I thought I might be disturbing other guests.
My only experience of camping, in the beautiful village of Plockton, was ruined because there was one toilet between about 80 tents! Luckily, we had a chemical toilet on our small sailing cruiser, but I couldn't go down to the harbour in the dark. Never again.
Am I the only person who insists on a private bathroom/toilet?