Gransnet forums

Chat

PC points - new thread because other one hijacked

(47 Posts)
Grannyknot Fri 23-Nov-12 18:32:55

A woman phoned me today re a referral and painstakingly went through to confidentiality policy saying 'if you disclosed anything that we felt may pose a risk or danger to yourself or to others we would have to report that to the appropriate authority'. I replied 'Do you mean the police?' I then had 5 mins of total hilarity whilst she tried to avoid actually saying police with me trying to get her to say it. Poor woman. But at least she would have got her PC points.

Anne58 Tue 27-Nov-12 18:31:59

Oh well, it was a thought.

Unless of course all of us here save our jars for you, and the slippiness could be countered by putting a band round the middle off each jar made from ...(you are just going to LOVE this!) CUT UP OLD RUBBER GLOVES!!!

Just how green/recycle-ey/PC can you get!

(That could win an award, y'know)

Elegran Tue 27-Nov-12 18:28:42

Stand an extra jar on the worktop with a slot in the lid, for a swearbox. Use the money to buy plasters for the cuts.

Ana Tue 27-Nov-12 18:01:32

Hmm... I'm afraid I can see a down side to this coffee jar business. For a start, the coffee we use has those lids that are a devil to screw on properly, since they changed the design. Then there's the problem of DH's clumsiness, especially with hands liberally coated with car-oil...I can hear the sound of breaking glass and the swearing already! hmm grin

Anne58 Tue 27-Nov-12 17:51:55

Perhaps you could negotiate? Hold all those lovely clean, shiny jars just out of reach and say "If you will only discard all your festering jars, filled with sludgey turps and stiff brushes, then all these treasures could be yours, to fill with a myriad of other treasures! Just think, my darling of entering the sanctuary that is your shed, and every possible screw, or nut or bolt that you heart may desire is there, waiting for you, categorised, labelled and....accessible! You could tenderly unscrew the jar from it's lid that is fixed to the underside of the shelf, yes yes, my darling, for that is where they will be, just hanging like ripe, glass fruits, ready for plucking, you would cup it gently in your hands, savouring the moment when you place it on your workbench and your eager fingers move gently inside to extricate that 6mm washer that you know that you need so badly"

Or something along those lines, anyway.........

Ana Tue 27-Nov-12 10:52:18

Sadly, he would absolutely love that, phoenix! grin But he still wouldn't part with the festering turps ones...sad

Anne58 Tue 27-Nov-12 10:38:38

But Ana if you let him do that he wouldn't be able to use them for festering turps, so it could be a bit win win! Just think of his little face on Christmas morning, when he opens a box full of lovingly de-labelled coffee jars!

And, as an extra present, you could gift wrap a roll of sticky labels so that he could write things like "4mm screws, philips" on them.

Ana Mon 26-Nov-12 22:27:42

DH would love that idea! (I won't tell him...hmm)

Anne58 Mon 26-Nov-12 21:26:30

Oh Ana exdh was a bugger devil for doing that! As the granddaughter of a professional painter & decorator who really looked after the tools of his trade, it used to really irk me!

Someone else I knew used to screw coffee jar lids to the underside of shelves, fill each jar with the same size screws, nails etc, and then screw them onto the lids! Brilliant way of using the jars AND saving space!

Grannyknot Mon 26-Nov-12 21:20:45

Jemima Khan tweeted today that 'inappropriate must be the must sanctimonious word in the English language. That's it, am banning it'. Just thought I'd throw that in here for entertainment (mine).

Sel Mon 26-Nov-12 18:49:58

phoenix I laughed at that, you just can't rein 'em in! I'm on the 'cold and wet' thread, it's impossible! I have a bike shed but it's being invaded {smile]

Ana Mon 26-Nov-12 18:46:13

If it does, I think DH deserves some too, for his determined use of empty coffee jars etc. for storing old paintbrushes with a bit of festering turps at the bottom in the vain hope they'll be fit for use ever again....hmm

Anne58 Mon 26-Nov-12 18:11:08

AHEM I am currently using old coffee jars to store lentils, flour, dark brown sugar etc in the cupboard. (I only have tea, coffee and ordinary sugar in rather stylish containers on the worktop, so thought that old coffee jard would be fine for in the cupboard)

Does that count as back to PC points, and if so, how many do I get?

jO5 Mon 26-Nov-12 17:59:43

"Back off JO"

grin

That's very 'down on the street'. smile

jO5 Mon 26-Nov-12 17:58:25

Yes. That's right.

confused (totally)

Never mind. I'm hungry.

vampirequeen Mon 26-Nov-12 17:52:34

JO I think you'll find that Nanadog is simply trying to avoid flagging anything up for you as you don't seem to like/feel you need it.

This is a quote from one of your earlier posts.

Nanadog I don't want or need anything "flagged up" for me thank you.

Nanadog Sun 25-Nov-12 19:12:30

Back off JO

gracesmum Sun 25-Nov-12 18:47:25

Nooooooooooooooooo -- I meant to write PC World - my subconscious 1950's TV watching self took over!!

gracesmum Sun 25-Nov-12 18:46:28

When are we going to get back to PC Points????

And aren't they referred to as Officer, these days?

Oh did you read about the police person who tried to find who at her station was the PC Dixon referred to in a report of a theft at an electricals store? grin

gracesmum Sun 25-Nov-12 18:44:17

Oh I think she does wink

jO5 Sun 25-Nov-12 18:40:02

I don't know WTF you're talking about Nnadog.

Not sure you do either.

Nelliemoser Sun 25-Nov-12 18:35:33

Me too Greatnan I am usually rather suspicious until proved otherwise. A survival technique.

Greatnan Sun 25-Nov-12 10:15:37

I'm a cynic - saves me a lot of heartache.

Grannyknot Sun 25-Nov-12 10:09:25

vpq the devil made me do it grin

absentgrana Sat 24-Nov-12 12:46:26

For goodness sake. What's going on? Is Gransnet being raided?

Elegran Sat 24-Nov-12 12:44:28

Not any more, we don't Nanad This is getting difficult to keep up with.