Gransnet forums

Chat

PC points - new thread because other one hijacked

(46 Posts)
Grannyknot Fri 23-Nov-12 18:32:55

A woman phoned me today re a referral and painstakingly went through to confidentiality policy saying 'if you disclosed anything that we felt may pose a risk or danger to yourself or to others we would have to report that to the appropriate authority'. I replied 'Do you mean the police?' I then had 5 mins of total hilarity whilst she tried to avoid actually saying police with me trying to get her to say it. Poor woman. But at least she would have got her PC points.

vampirequeen Fri 23-Nov-12 22:55:51

This made me laugh. What a torment you are smile

Ariadne Sat 24-Nov-12 07:52:46

How was the other thread hi jacked, please? confused

Nanadog Sat 24-Nov-12 08:37:57

By smutty schoolboys probably Ariadne at least I hope that was all it was. It could have been someone older using it for his own 'gratification'.

Greatnan Sat 24-Nov-12 10:27:11

We got past that, fortunately - if nobody had engaged with the rogue poster they would soon have got fed up, but................

Nanadog Sat 24-Nov-12 10:36:45

I don't think some people saw where it was going greatnan so they engaged initially in all innocence. A couple of us did try to flag it up other posters.

Ana Sat 24-Nov-12 10:59:09

A couple of us actually felt sorry for the poster at the beginning. Yes, it became obvious after a short while that they were not genuine, but I don't see what's wrong with giving someone the benefit of the doubt in the first instance. We're not all experts.

Elegran Sat 24-Nov-12 11:37:34

That is the problem, ana There is a knife edge between giving sympathy to genuine posters and encouraging the imposters. It is not apparent which is which until several people have been drawn in, and by then it looks like a real conversation that others reply to.

But do we want GNHQ actively moderating every post? Things could be deleted which were worth saying, if not PC.

It is the devil or the deep blue sea (not calling you devils, GNHQ, please don't delete me!)

Nanadog Sat 24-Nov-12 11:52:26

You were right Ana to give the poster the benefit of the doubt, just as we were right in flagging up when alarm bells went off.

I think all GNetters have really pulled together in this.

jO5 Sat 24-Nov-12 11:56:53

If we're still talking about jenricks here ([mmm]), I still think he was/is some old feller with a slightly grubby sense of humour.

We could have brought him round. grin

Nanadog I don't want or need anything "flagged up" for me thank you. hmm

jO5 Sat 24-Nov-12 11:57:35

that should have been a hmm in there!. Not mmm !

Nanadog Sat 24-Nov-12 12:01:23

Should I just then say 'excluding JO* then when I post anything?

soop Sat 24-Nov-12 12:05:00

I'm not the sharpest knife in the block, so to speak. I couldn't be certain that jenricks was a genuinely lonely person, or not. Jings and I tried to get the individual to open up and take part...are you telling me that we were wrong! confused

Nanadog Sat 24-Nov-12 12:06:49

soop (and excluding JO) who knows? But it's possible even probable sad

Ana Sat 24-Nov-12 12:08:04

Or naive? It does feel as though those of us who took a genuine interest are being thought gullible.

Ana Sat 24-Nov-12 12:10:20

And we have a message on another thread purporting to be from his neighbour....

soop Sat 24-Nov-12 12:15:21

Ana Where is that?

Nanadog Sat 24-Nov-12 12:20:47

Ana on the contrary. It may well be that those GNetters who took a genuine interest are the kind and caring ones, while we are the cynics. I know I used the word 'gullible' on the actual thread, but I meant it as a warning rather than say 'beware' as I was still hedging my bets at the time.
Yes, it may seem naive or whatever word you prefer to use, but it is not meant in any derogatory way, believe me. I'd far rather see the good in people before I'm forced to see the bad. As you would too I know smile

PS exclude JO grin

PPS JO this is all getting a bit complicated can we just assume in future any remarks which I make are not addressed to you personally unless I state otherwise?????

Nanadog Sat 24-Nov-12 12:26:28

And we have another thread started by this person.

soop Sat 24-Nov-12 12:28:47

Nanadog You are right.

bill1234 Sat 24-Nov-12 12:34:36

Message deleted by Gransnet.

Elegran Sat 24-Nov-12 12:44:28

Not any more, we don't Nanad This is getting difficult to keep up with.

absentgrana Sat 24-Nov-12 12:46:26

For goodness sake. What's going on? Is Gransnet being raided?

Grannyknot Sun 25-Nov-12 10:09:25

vpq the devil made me do it grin

Greatnan Sun 25-Nov-12 10:15:37

I'm a cynic - saves me a lot of heartache.