Gransnet forums

Chat

Invisibility

(92 Posts)
gracesmum Fri 07-Dec-12 12:15:24

Who needs an Invisibility Cape? I am invisible, I have discovered.
I was recently "introduced "by a friend to a man I have met on several occasions, whose wife I am quite friendly with who actually sat beside us at the theatre in the autumn and as he squeezed my hand and looked deep into my eyes, he said "No, I don't think we've met."
Later that day I did some shopping and had doors left to slam in my face, had to weave and duck and dive to avoid being mown down by gits on their mobiles, and was completely ignored by the assistant in Boots who served the man behind me in the queue.
Is it an age thing? Do little old ladies simpy fade away? Is it me?

JessM Sat 08-Dec-12 08:41:18

A classic Baubles - took a while for his brain to join the dots.
And many of us have probably done things like greeting the doctors receptionist as a long lost friend in Sainsbury's.
I met someone the other week whose face was incredibly familiar and she recognised me. Eventually we worked out that we had worked in the same building 10 years ago.

Movedalot Sat 08-Dec-12 09:37:39

harri I think you are right, we tend to only see people in their usual place or clothing. Many years ago I used to see a woman at the gym and thought I recognised her but couldn't remember where from. When I went to parents afternoon at my son's school there she was, one of his teachers. She had been looking at me in exactly the same way wondering who I was! My son was so embarrassed that his teacher and mum went to the same gym!

Greatnan I agree with you about seeing other more senior (and much better paid) people doing jobs you know you could do better. I think we have all been in that situation.

janeainsworth Sat 08-Dec-12 09:45:25

Bags re supermarket check-out assistants- I think it very much depends what sort of supermarket you go to.
I patronise either the medium sized Co-op within walking distance of our house, where some of the staff have worked for many years and seem to know all the customers and even the young ones are pleasant and friendly, or the nearby small Waitrose where the staff have evidently all done customer service training and on occasion engage their customers perhaps too much - there is one gentleman in particular whose till I avoid if I am in a hurry. The last time he served me I got embroiled in a long conversation about the beautiful works of art he had seen in Hardwick Hall in Derbyshiresmile
I don't like to make generalisations but on the rare occasions I go to the enormous Tesco a few miles away, it is not the same 'shopping experience' at all - which is one reason I don't go there.
I am 5'8'' tall, and was very self-conscious about my height when I was young, and wish I could shrink or become invisible. Now though it is quite useful to tower above people sometimesgrin

Bags Sat 08-Dec-12 09:53:59

I think you're right about that, jane. I'm remembering a friend of mine who used to refer to "the Tesco clones"! Very naughty of her but one knew exactly what she meant!

The not paying till you 'get a contact' is effective even with clones though.

dorsetpennt Sat 08-Dec-12 10:06:03

Years ago the Sunday Times did an article on how in time women become invisible. I roughly remember the details: women are visible to all between 18 years to 35, between 35 to 45 they begin to fade [it depends on how well turned out the woman is], 45 to 55 they fade rapidly to men but still visible to women. Over 55 invisible to all men but fading rapidly to women. By 65 women have disappeared entirely.

harrigran Sat 08-Dec-12 10:22:34

I played badminton, at a club, in a leisure centre. Most of the male players I only ever saw in shorts and sport tops, I had a big problem if I met these men outside of the leisure centre. Once they had reminded me who they were and where I knew them from my usual answer was " sorry I didn't recognise you with your clothes on " blush

gracesmum Sat 08-Dec-12 10:54:59

Well done jodi!! Way to go!! (whatever that phrase meansgrin )

gracesmum Sat 08-Dec-12 10:56:59

Dorsetpennt - my point exactly. An acquaintance once said to me years and years ago, that there is nothing dents your confidence as much as the disappointed look on a man's face when he turns to her at a dinner party and sees a middle-aged woman. [ouch] emoticon

crimson Sat 08-Dec-12 11:41:23

Yes; it's odd how they are quite happy to sit next to a mindless beauty rather than an intelligent, witty lady of a certain age. Last night I went to see a band and, having had a long day at work and sufering with a stinker of a cold I couldn't be bothered with making myself look human. Tried on a t shirt and the girl selling them said 'please don't get any make up on it' to which I repilied that I hadn't bothered with make up that day, as I went to work saying 'if I'm going to feel c**p I might as look c**p as well'. Anyways, I stood behing a young guy with cheekbones to die for; I couldn't take my eyes off his cheekbones. I was so worried that he could sense me gazing at him [as you do]. It was the first time in many years [decades even] that I remembered what it was like to see someone for the first time and fancy them like crazy. I suppose I was reassured by the fact that I looked like a bag lady and was therefore quite invisible smile. I tell you who he reminded me of; Alex from Franz Ferdinand crossed with Nureyev. [sigh]...

Jodi Sat 08-Dec-12 11:46:30

I love that phrase gracesmum though I don't really know what it means either. But say it with enough confidence and it sounds 'cool'.

I'm off now to travel by train to Edinburgh. Am wondering do I want to be invisible or not on the journey. I seem to attract the wrong sort of people to sit next to me eg the perfectly normal looking woman who strikes up a conversation but then after ten minutes confides she's been abducted by aliens or her next door neighbour has bugged her TV set and is watching her every move (both have actually happened).

Or, even worse, the family from hell, Wayne and Waynetta and baby
hmm grin

Jodi Sat 08-Dec-12 11:48:56

crimson smile

Bags Sat 08-Dec-12 14:10:36

With the men who look disappointed to be sitting next to an intelligent middle-aged woman, you play them at their own game, and look disappointed to be sitting next to such an old bore. Works a treat, honest! wink

janeainsworth Sat 08-Dec-12 16:11:31

Bags it used to be so much worse.....
www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV8ggl2avcc

Bags Sat 08-Dec-12 16:29:09

Good piss-take.

Greatnan Sat 08-Dec-12 17:46:25

Now I will have to watch all the clips on Youtube - brilliant!

JessM Sat 08-Dec-12 21:27:08

jodi I struck up an innocent conversation with a female dog walker in the friendly west midlands the other weekend. OMG - in 5 minutes she had "shared" with me a list of family psychiatric problems almost as long as the diagnostic manual devised by the American psychiatric profession. There is such a thing as being too forthcoming. ho hum.

Jodi Sun 09-Dec-12 09:22:12

Glad it's not just me that attract these sad people then JessM.

i had a relatively easy train journey north until York, then a strange incident. There were four people sitting at the table on my left across the passage and I was sharing my seat with a young girl student. Suddenly the man directly opposite me started to have some kind of mild fit. He started to shake, went a funny red colour, sweating and was, I thought, trying to talk but couldn't. I thought he was having a heart attack. I looked at the others (three middle aged men) on his table and they were pointedly ignoring him. So I stood up and asked him if he was ok. He couldn't answer. I asked if I could loosen his collar as he seemed to be bulging at the neck too. He just about managed to nod, so I took his tie off and undid his top button. Then he sorted of passed out. All this time no one else was helping or doing anything. So I asked the other men on his table to watch him as I was going for help. I got to the buffet car and they reacted very quickly and sent an attendant back with me. By the time I got back with him the others at the table had opened his brief case and found something to indicate he was diabetic. They were trying to get some glucose tablets into him. It turned out he was hypoglycaemic. It also transpired that the man opposite him was a doctor and the girl sitting next to me was a medical student. Why hadn't they reacted to his obvious distress? The attendant stayed with him until the train made an unscheduled at the next station and he was loaded into a sort of wheelchair thingy and taken away to hospital.

Jodi Sun 09-Dec-12 09:23:42

PS meant to add, this poor man was 'invisible' too.

gracesmum Sun 09-Dec-12 09:25:35

It's that British thing of Not Getting Involved, isn't it? Well done, you.

Jodi Sun 09-Dec-12 09:47:11

But gracesmum how can you NOT get involved when someone is in trouble? It goes against everything I've been taught and how I've been brought up (incidentally in an aitheist family) ?

Butty Sun 09-Dec-12 09:54:20

Jodi - Good for you. What a good thing you didn't take the easy option of not getting involved, and I'm sure the man you helped is thinking exactly the same thing right now.

JessM Sun 09-Dec-12 10:01:31

Well done jodi - there is lots of research to say people are more likely to help someone in distress if they are the only person present than in a crowd.
The only hospital consultant I know says his first impulse is to keep his head down if someone says "is there a doctor..."
But on a plane back from the med (with his daughter, also a doctor) they did fess up, diagnosed a probable heart attack and told the captain he had to head for the nearest airport.

Faye Sun 09-Dec-12 10:06:00

I am astounded that a doctor and medical student didn't help. I might have been tempted to ask them what was it that held them back from helping a man in distress. Well done Jodi, he could have died while these useless people looked the other way.

Jodi Sun 09-Dec-12 10:37:06

I obviously got talking to the medical student after that and she said she'd been just about to do something before I stepped in. The doctor vanished back behind his newspaper again probably to avoid the black looks I kept sending him hmm

Greatnan Sun 09-Dec-12 10:51:06

Is it possible that medical professionals are afraid of being sued if they do something and it turns out to be the wrong thing?
Did anybody else see the horrible story of the man who was pushed onto the track of the New York subway and nobody tried to help him out. One man took photos which he sold - he said he had been using his camera to signal to the driver.