Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you believe in Mediums

(59 Posts)
MiceElf Fri 14-Dec-12 08:36:37

You are correct. It is.

Greatnan Fri 14-Dec-12 08:13:34

Baubles, I agree with your post completely. I think some may really believe they have psychic gifts but most are just charlatans preying on grieving people. If you google 'Doris Stokes exposed' you will see how this, the most famous at the time, was a complete fraud. Odd that she has not 'come back' to tell people how genuine she was!
I was accosted by a 'gypsy' in Chatham High Street, offering to read my palm. I told her I would read hers instead. I looked closely at her palm and then said 'You work very hard for your children, you are a wonderful mother and you are not appreciated for all that you do'. She said 'Oh, you really have the gift.' 'No, I just have common sense and some understanding of what most people want to hear', I told her.
I am amazed that some Christians believe this stuff - it appears to be diametrically opposed to the teaching of the Church.

petallus Fri 14-Dec-12 08:01:30

A friend reckons she is medium/psychic. In fact she is well known in the area and quite a few people visit for a reading. She doesn't charge much.

I don't think my friend is a con woman. She believes it herself.

I 95% do not but I'd like it to be true.

baubles Fri 14-Dec-12 06:52:56

I speak from my own experience when I was young, confused and looking everywhere I could for 'meaning' in my life. At the time I saw a psychic I was taken in by her apparent knowledge of me and my family. This was after the death of my beloved grandfather whose presence I believed I had felt and seen. With the benefit of hindsight and clearer thinking I was able to understand the unwitting clues and responses that I had given.
My belief is that some of these 'mediums' or 'psychics' are very perceptive, clever people who are able to 'read' people and draw responses from them. I'm also of the opinion that for the most part those who consult these people are possibly vulnerable, certainly unsure and searching for answers which they aren't able to find within themselves.
It is a massive industry these days and one to which I will never again be persuaded to pay into.

Sook Fri 14-Dec-12 00:53:41

CHEELU No I visited several throughout my 20s. One medium in the beginning told me that I would move house (most people do eventually). She described the house as being situated between a church and a pub (it is) but the graveyard didn't belong to the church (it doesn't), she then went on to say it's at a strange angle, it slopes down.

Ten years later I did move to a house 40 miles away. I suppose a sceptic would say that I actively searched for a house that would fit the description that she gave me. My husband did all the house hunting and he rang me one day to tell me about this particular house. He said that I would hate the house but would love the area. He was right! The house was a run down 60s box it's only redeeming feature being a fabulous wood block floor, the location however was lovely. In the heart of a small Cheshire village next door but one to a Methodist Chapel and 4 doors away from a country pub. About 200 yards away is a church tower all that remains of the Church of St ***. The knave of the church was demolished in the mid 70s due to it being unsafe something due to shifting sands in the area. The church tower was leaning (6ft out) at the time (now been stabilised) and the graveyard slopes all around it. Before our time the locals have told me that heavy rains would wash the sandy earth down the sloping ground along with ancient remains. It was only after we had moved and settled in that I remembered what the medium had predicted years before. The church, the pub and the sloping ground.

It's a subject that fascinates me I do think that there are some people who have a genuine ability in that direction.

POGS I too would love to be regressed another fascinating subject.

POGS Fri 14-Dec-12 00:10:07

This is a very difficult question to answer.

It's like asking 'Do you believe in ghosts'. Most people would probably say no but who are we to say that. Only you know if you have seen one.

As with mediums they are probably conmen/women but if one told you things and you know they have no way of knowing anything about you life who are we to say they are lying.

They have been 'outed' so many times and their tactics exposed it is a worry to take much of it seriously, especially as they work on peoples emotional state.

I would love to be regressed and a video taken. Only I would know if it had been genuine, similar to ghosts and mediums actually. I am however beyond sceptical about mediums.

CHEELU Thu 13-Dec-12 23:23:43

sook was that the only time you went to a medium

Sook Thu 13-Dec-12 23:18:26

In my 20s I visited several mediums mostly very accurate. One told me details of DS1s birth that only myself, DH and delivery team would have known.

CHEELU Thu 13-Dec-12 23:07:25

I am so intterested in this. My daughter in law swears by her one and asks her loads of stuff, according to her she is always spot on. I went to one once and she described my life to a tee.