Gransnet forums

Chat

Nominations for retirement in 2013

(90 Posts)
JessM Mon 31-Dec-12 10:03:05

I am reluctant to say anyone should be prevented from continuing to work past 65 on the grounds of their date of birth. These days many people retain their sharp wits and reasonable health into their 80s.
There are a few notable examples in the media that are going on and on. And on. The only ones I can think of are men. This in part reflects the poverty of opportunity for women of their generation. But the BBC is not immune to agism.
Off the top of my head the three the BBC keep using are:
Attenborough 86
John Humphries 69
Bruce Forsythe 84
I went through an anti Attenborough phase and have come out the other side.
Would any of these be still going if they were women? Is it time for any or them, or anyone else, to step down now and give someone else a chance? And are there any other suggestions?

Rosiebee Tue 01-Jan-13 21:34:01

Bruce Forsythe has to go. He was so rude to the contestants after the final of SCD, telling them all to 'back off', several times and the show was much better the week he wasn't in it. Also all singers, mostly male it seems, who imagine they have the same voice and appeal that they had about 40 or more years ago. Paul McCartney, Elton John and Cliff Richards were really dire at Jubilee / Olympic celebrations. John Humphrys has to stay, mornings just wouldn't be the same.smile

FlicketyB Tue 01-Jan-13 17:05:57

Please, please, please get Stephen Fry to opt for early retirement, I will even make a donation to his redundancy/retirement pay off. He used to be such a witty clever man he is now a pompous,self-satisfied bore. David Attenborough from a different start point has also reached the same state as Stephen Fry.

How about Joan Rivers and her annual facelifts, never looks the same two days running.

JessM Tue 01-Jan-13 16:35:19

Another panel dominated by men, with the women being changed several times...

numberplease Tue 01-Jan-13 16:16:04

NO, I need to see Anton dancing!

gma Tue 01-Jan-13 15:04:59

Perhaps 2013 will be the year that Bruce Forsyth sees the light and decides to call it a day. He is an embarrassment to watch on Strictly Come Dancing-come on Bruce, stand aside and let a younger and more attractive man take over. We have all heard his jokes a hundred times before and are no longer remotely funny (even when he gets them right-which is not very often) Lets see Anton take over the reins!!!!! grin

messenger Tue 01-Jan-13 14:51:46

Retire the BBC itself ...the Corporation is so tatty and out-of -date and irresponsible that all top-flight directors and ex-govenors should be indicted for abuse of contract...we, afterall,are their paymasters and the programmes,editors and especially GOVERNORS are not fit for purposeangry

Jodi Tue 01-Jan-13 14:03:40

Agree Jeremy Clarkson and would add another Jeremy .....Vine. What a pompous ass! Sorry JessM I like Ian Hislop and Paul Merton, but will allow Alan Davies. I thought 'oh no' when I saw Charlotte Church was in the chair, but she really surprised me. She was a delight.

JessM Tue 01-Jan-13 13:53:17

Come to think of it, now you mention Steven Fry, and thinking about BBC panel games... lets retire Paul Murton, Ian Hislop, Alan Davies etc. It is such a blooming boys club and they seem to have lost their edge. Saw HIGNFY a couple of times recently and the only bright thing was Charlotte Church in the chair, who was brilliant.
More Charlotte fewer Groucho club members please.
Oh and the horrible Jonathan Ross, while I am laying into boys club on TV. Way past. Really.

granjura Tue 01-Jan-13 13:46:53

I am so glad to see I am not alone in my absolute dislike (and more) of Clarkson. Only one word comes to mind, twit, but with a vowel change blush.

The Stones still have it all - yes, older and behaving like kids, but somehow it works. A friend of mine recently met Keith Richard and says he is absolutely delightful.

Grannyknot Mon 31-Dec-12 23:08:16

Jeremy Clarkson is just awful. Can't stand him. Let's retire him.

Deedaa Mon 31-Dec-12 22:43:52

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks Keith Richards is the coolest man on the planet crimson one of those who is cooler now than when he was young. Must put in a word for Chris Packham though smile

jO5 Mon 31-Dec-12 22:40:17

Well I didn't know it PHOENIX! hmm

gracesmum Mon 31-Dec-12 22:38:52

But accurate.......

Anne58 Mon 31-Dec-12 22:27:56

Yes to Jeremy Clarkson, obnoxious (bad word)

Anne58 Mon 31-Dec-12 22:26:49

That's old news, jO5 !

gracesmum Mon 31-Dec-12 21:50:24

I'd never have guessed.
I would retire Nicholas Parsons along with Bruce Forsyth, Jeremy Clarkson , Paul McCartney and any other ageing rock star who thinks he still looks 25 when he is in fact 70+.
I have a little list and they'd none of them be missed wink

JessM Mon 31-Dec-12 21:24:04

you're not keen I take it nellie grin

Nelliemoser Mon 31-Dec-12 20:58:36

Yes get shut of Jeremy Clarkson he is obnoxious, spiteful and arrogant. In my humble opinion that is.

Mishap Mon 31-Dec-12 20:22:22

Definitely Jeremy Clarkson and Stephen Fry (he has been overdone!).

Grannyknot Mon 31-Dec-12 19:28:01

york46 re aspiring actors... couldn't agree more. It seems as the people who do the casting are fishing in a small pond!

york46 Mon 31-Dec-12 19:01:35

I'm sorry to hear Alice Arnold has left BBC radio. She has a lovely voice with clear diction. I hope we hear more of her now she's freelance.

Moving slightly away from the original thread, I always wonder why we see the same actors all the time on TV. There must be so many aspiring actors just waiting for a chance, it would be good to see some new faces from time to time.

crimson Mon 31-Dec-12 18:31:20

Wonder if they're thinking of adopting? With Clare's work taking up so much time Alice would have more time as a freelance. Clare would make a super mum.

jO5 Mon 31-Dec-12 18:19:11

That she and Clare Balding are in a civil partnership, phoenix.

Ella46 Mon 31-Dec-12 18:13:05

Wasn't Bill Oddie suffering from bi-polar disorder, but undiagnosed, and is now much better (on medication).
He is a strange character, but I don't think that helped.

Ana Mon 31-Dec-12 18:07:21

crimson I agree about The Goodies and Monty Python. I watched the latter, but only to be trendy blush....The Goodies were just so funny!