Gransnet forums

Chat

Nominations for retirement in 2013

(89 Posts)
JessM Mon 31-Dec-12 12:15:48

Oh yes Robbie was very flat when he did the song in Strictly. Turned up, went into make up, sang, left. That kind of feeling.
And there is so much young talent - female singer songwriters etc - coming through at the moment.

Ana Mon 31-Dec-12 12:11:50

And a lot less of Robbie Williams too - he really needs to lose some weight...hmm

Nanado Mon 31-Dec-12 12:10:15

Too young to retire but I'd like to see a lot less if Gary Barlow in 2013 shock

kittylester Mon 31-Dec-12 12:07:50

granjura, apparently Dickie is 90 this year so Leicester is going to celebrate. And I though we had no money grin I think that someone ought to tell Peter Soulsby that!

jO5 Mon 31-Dec-12 11:21:45

Just had a look petra and I don't think he would ever dare to tweet - judging by the venom people on there come out with about him!!! shock

petra Mon 31-Dec-12 11:13:31

Does anyone know if Bruce Forsyth tweets? I just thought it might be a way of telling him that we ( me especially) have had enough of him.
Has anyone else noticed that a lot of the audience cringe when he does his " nice to see you"
If he's on it next year I'm going to record it so I can zap through his bits.
I feel better for that.

granjura Mon 31-Dec-12 10:55:01

Paul McCartney first - his performance at the Olympics was so embarrassing and cringe making. And then Brucy - honestly, enough is enough!

John Humphries can stay- and definitely Attenborough (not Dickie but David)- he is just so wonderful.

Nelliemoser Mon 31-Dec-12 10:55:01

Definately Brucie.

Not John Humphrys! Don't deprive me of John Humphrys.

Stop retiring those excellent women presenters just because they are getting older and dont "fit an image." They don't do that to the men in the same way.

Anne58 Mon 31-Dec-12 10:52:31

Mixed feelings about John Grumphries, I sometimes find that a good shout at the radio in the morning sets me up for the day!

kittylester Mon 31-Dec-12 10:48:46

I'm happy to look after Paul in his retirement. wink

jO5 Mon 31-Dec-12 10:42:30

Seems a bit cruel to say Paul McCartney. He did write that lovely song "yesterday" all on his own.

jO5 Mon 31-Dec-12 10:41:29

You leave John Humphreys alone! He's lovely.

And the others are fine! Especially Brucie!

hmm

glitabo Mon 31-Dec-12 10:39:38

Paul McCartney 70

JessM Mon 31-Dec-12 10:03:05

I am reluctant to say anyone should be prevented from continuing to work past 65 on the grounds of their date of birth. These days many people retain their sharp wits and reasonable health into their 80s.
There are a few notable examples in the media that are going on and on. And on. The only ones I can think of are men. This in part reflects the poverty of opportunity for women of their generation. But the BBC is not immune to agism.
Off the top of my head the three the BBC keep using are:
Attenborough 86
John Humphries 69
Bruce Forsythe 84
I went through an anti Attenborough phase and have come out the other side.
Would any of these be still going if they were women? Is it time for any or them, or anyone else, to step down now and give someone else a chance? And are there any other suggestions?