Gransnet forums

Chat

ROOM 101

(146 Posts)
specki4eyes Fri 11-Jan-13 22:19:49

Just watched this and thought what a rich seam it could be for us!

My choice for today would be young women who affect squeaky, little girl voices.

Deedaa Sun 20-Jan-13 20:55:54

gma I worked at M&S and we all knew the "Thank you for waiting" thing is absolutely stupid, but they spent thousands of pounds having us all schooled in customer service by an American who insisted we should say it. For some reason we were not allowed to say that it was very busy or we were short staffed or someone was off sick and we were not too apologise for it. Personally I would much rather someone said "I'm sorry to keep you waiting but I'm on my own today" At least it would suggest that she cared.

Mads Sun 20-Jan-13 20:55:04

People who talk on their phones constantly on the train, do I want to hear all their private conversation and do I want to hear a so called thinks he/she is a High Powered business person discussing work matters ? NO
In a cafe when I just want to enjoy a good cup of coffee and a chat and yummy mummies make a real racket with their loud voices.
I must be getting old, perhaps I was like that once !!

annodomini Sun 20-Jan-13 19:23:51

Would it be tactless to ask why, jml249?

jml249 Sun 20-Jan-13 19:08:55

Can I put my husband in Room 101? wink

jml249 Sun 20-Jan-13 19:02:23

Mother's who push the front two wheels of the pushchair or pram onto the road whilst waiting to get across.

People who cannot say please or thankyou, not necessarily the young.

Sofa adverts

matson Sun 20-Jan-13 15:51:29

people who say " two times " instead of " twice"

grannyval Sun 20-Jan-13 15:43:18

This is the one that annoys me as well. TV programs also have too many 'girls' with squeaky voices. I suppose they think it makes them girly and sexy.

gma Sat 19-Jan-13 22:51:11

One last 'thing' to throw into Room 101...........The cashier in M&S who says in her most patronising voice-when you have been standing in a queue for 15 minutes- "Thank you for waiting"!!!!!! What do they think that you are going to do, walk out without paying???? throw the money over the counter, get to the front of the queue and say 'Actually I am not going to wait any longer' Grrrrrrr angry

specki4eyes Fri 18-Jan-13 22:25:59

I like Louise Minchin - she's nice and natural - it's Susannah Reid who I can't abide.

People with nothing to do who ring up and say 'how are you then?' and after you reply they've got nothing to else to say and you're standing there with a paint filled brush in your hand or just about to put a cake in the oven or you're cleaning out the cat's litter tray. So you tell them that and they say, "ooh aren't you good - I can't be bothered to do those things" and I want to say why don't you just find someone else to bore then but you don't and being brought up to be polite you ask them how their suppurating sores are or about their recent operation or their husband's model train set......arrghh!!

annodomini Fri 18-Jan-13 22:22:32

That's right, nightowl - only Leonard Cohen can interpret Hallelujah. But Rufus Wainwright gets it about right as well. Lets have none of those 'sweetened' versions that don't use all the lyrics.

nightowl Fri 18-Jan-13 21:24:17

Yes Lily you are right smile

Lilygran Fri 18-Jan-13 21:11:54

Jeff Buckley is a good second to the old man himself.

nightowl Fri 18-Jan-13 20:38:46

Yes, yes, yes absent to the Heathcliff woman if you mean Kate Bush. OH loves her for some obscure reason. Her voice sets my teeth on edge.

The only person I ever want to hear sing Hallelujah is Leonard Cohen; I have no idea who yodelled it a year or so ago?

absent Fri 18-Jan-13 20:08:45

Yawping singers such as the Heathcliffe woman and that chap who yoldelled Hallelujah a year or so ago.

absent Fri 18-Jan-13 20:07:46

Louise (I just typed Lousie – Freudian slip?) Minchin.

SJP Fri 18-Jan-13 20:06:26

Nouns being used a verbs such as "medalling" instead of winning a medal
Pointless management speak "pushing the envelope" etc
Ed Miliband, Neil Kinnock, Bruce Forsyth

albertina Fri 18-Jan-13 18:58:32

People who, when asked how they are, reply "I'm good" in a phoney American accent. That and men who show enormous area of hairy backside when they bend over.

Ariadne Fri 18-Jan-13 18:48:01

aga just go for it! smile

annieseed Fri 18-Jan-13 18:23:33

I have a lovely granddaughter, Hannah. I ask her how she is, she says GOOD. I say explain in more than word and more than one syllable, please. ILU Grandma

annifrance Fri 18-Jan-13 16:48:49

Facbook. It's such a pain - all those people I have never heard of wanting to be my friend, plus add-ons such as a regular email I get from a friend re their gite which I know well and don't need my inbox filled up with photographs.

Intelligent, educated people on Radio 4 who 'um', 'err' and 'you know' every other word in an interested discussion.

Marelli Fri 18-Jan-13 16:32:40

susie - I had to laugh at that grin. Sorry!

Nine Fri 18-Jan-13 16:28:29

People who park half on and half off the pavement so that you can't get by with the pushchair.
People in supermarkets who use their mobiles to phone home to ask which make/size of product - MAKE A DECISION!!
- that feels better - smile

Ana Fri 18-Jan-13 16:21:35

You can always blame it on your iPad, Agapanthus, a lot of 'em do!
(Doesn't matter if you haven't got one...)

Movedalot Fri 18-Jan-13 16:19:54

Aga I don't think many of us care whether you can spell, punctuate or are grammatical and those who de generally stick to Pedant's Corner and if they don't they jolly well should! grin

agapanthus Fri 18-Jan-13 16:07:00

That is 'puter.