Gransnet forums

Chat

I know I carry on, and on about it......

(63 Posts)
Butty Sat 12-Jan-13 18:31:37

....but this issue is close to my heart.

here

I'd love it if you all got your dancing shoes on for One Billion Rising on 14th February.

whenim64 Sat 26-Jan-13 15:48:44

Butty grin

Butty Sat 26-Jan-13 15:47:42

No, never that when smile

whenim64 Sat 26-Jan-13 15:47:12

Yes, I know what you mean anno. My daughters had their clubbing days a few years ago, but do still go out with friends for an evening in the city centre every once in a while. They stick together in groups, aren't looking for new relationships now, but they do like to glam up and teeter on death-defying heels. They say that heavy coats ruin the look, and don't notice the cold when they're having fun. They like cocktail bars where there is dancing, and have tried and tested codes for re-grouping if there are any iffy men coming on to them. They pre-order a shared taxi or minibus back to whichever house they have left cars, or been given lifts to, and will usually stop the night then go home in the morning.

Their partners prefer to have a poker evening in one house, get takeaways and plenty of beer, then stop the night.

They all have stories about how friends and colleagues have come to grief whilst under the influence in town, but don't yet feel they have a responsibility to effect lasting change, and One Billion Rising is something they see as for other people to get involved in.....I'm working on them!

annodomini Sat 26-Jan-13 15:26:25

While I agree that Joanna Lumley's comments are inappropriate and, indeed, offensive, I admit to some anxiety about my senior GD, out clubbing in Manchester, probably drinking more than she should, and wearing outrageous outfits - just like the majority of her contemporaries. No, they are not 'asking for it' - of course not, the fault lies with the culture that over-sexualises girls from an early age and with the young men who believe the myths about girls perpetuated by certain elements of the media.
In this weather, I am also concerned about her health - have these girls ever heard of coats? When you see a crowd of them out on the town or queuing to get into a club, they have short skirts and even crop tops in the most wintry weather. Not to mention death-defying high heels!

whenim64 Sat 26-Jan-13 14:15:44

Ana there was another thread that Butty posted on, about organising something in her community and red tape.

whenim64 Sat 26-Jan-13 14:13:56

I think Joanne Lumley's comments are unfortunate, Jingle. I agree SOME young girls do dress in most inappropriate ways, and consume too much alcohol when they need to be more alert, but that doesn't give SOME men carte blanche to exploit them. Guidance, support, protection - yes. Interpreting their behaviour as an invitation to sexual exploitation - no!

Ana Sat 26-Jan-13 14:09:02

Butty, this is your thread! grin

j07 Sat 26-Jan-13 14:05:46

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet.

whenim64 Sat 26-Jan-13 13:59:50

You calling me fat???? grin

Butty Sat 26-Jan-13 13:47:19

Not to worry when. I think you lend more weight to it than I do.

whenim64 Sat 26-Jan-13 12:56:10

Sorry, Butty I couldn't see it. Was it also under Chat? We can bump that one, too!

Butty Sat 26-Jan-13 12:47:05

when I started one a while back - maybe it could be resurrected/bumped?
Thanks for continuing to fly the flag for this!

whenim64 Sat 26-Jan-13 12:43:43

This thread keeps disappearing, yet is is obvious that Gransnetters feel strongly about rape and violence towards women.

One Billion Rising is growing very successfully, and there are lots of flash mob dances planned across the UK on Feb 14th. You can see lots of examples of large groups practising specially written songs and dances on YouTube.

I'll start another thread entitled 'One Billion Rising' as this is going to become one of the biggest movements for women across the globe in the next couple of weeks.

Please give your support. Statistically, there will be many Gransnetters who have been subjected to rape, sexual assault and violence at the hands of men who have been getting away with this for years. The gentle men in our lives will be as repulsed by this as we are. They can give their voices and support, too!

Butty Thu 24-Jan-13 09:53:21

It's fantastic to see this is really taking off. smile

glammanana Thu 24-Jan-13 09:43:58

The nearest one to me is in Parr Street Liverpool DD and I have applied for invites and are looking forward to going and supporting this event.

whenim64 Thu 24-Jan-13 07:28:47

The One Billion Rising movement is spreading across the globe. To date, people in 189 countries have joined and pledged to demonstrate or participate in some way on 14 February. Morocco's government has now announced that the law about victims marrying the perpetrator who raped them is to be abolished.

See their Facebook pages for lots more news and YouTube links showing huge gatherings of people practising their flash mob dances. Inspiring! smile

Marelli Mon 21-Jan-13 17:11:28

I'll definitely be there glass! smile

Ariadne Mon 21-Jan-13 17:06:33

Thanks, ga will try for Barnstaple!

Marelli Mon 21-Jan-13 17:05:41

I'm excited just imagining the sound!! smile

glassortwo Mon 21-Jan-13 17:05:02

Is anyone else coming to Durham 12 to 2pm

Are you going along Marelli

annodomini Mon 21-Jan-13 17:03:28

Marelli - I wish I could hear that - it will certainly make a statement. smile

Marelli Mon 21-Jan-13 16:59:04

My daughter is in a very large drumming group which is named after her late close friend. On 14th February they will drum in our local town for One Billion Rising.

whenim64 Mon 21-Jan-13 13:56:45

There is a Belfast city centre flash mob organised for 14th Feb now. It's growing like crazy, and there should be an event for most people living near large towns and cities. See the One Billion Rising websites for news of what's happening across the world.

agapanthus Sat 19-Jan-13 10:05:17

Thanks for the info.i have followed the links .there is a lot going on in Totnes (not surprisingly) that day,for those who don't feel like dancing.

Grannylin Fri 18-Jan-13 21:47:29

Thanks GA found the link and will def do the South Brent (9.30- 11.30) one.The venue isn't very big though-I think it'll be dancing in the streets smile