Gransnet forums

Chat

How can I persuade my elderly aunt not good idea to visit.

(35 Posts)
Bermeir Thu 17-Jan-13 08:49:06

My aunt lives in an area where it is due to snow heavily friday and snow lightly on friday. The temperature there is below freezing so likely to stick. She wants to come down to a family party (a 100 miles from her home) on sunday. She is very independent and really 'good for her age'. I don't want to offend her by saying she is not up to it. Actually her age is not the main issue; it's just the blooming awful weather. We're worried about her driving in these conditions. Help!

Greatnan Thu 17-Jan-13 16:09:07

Both my daughters are grandmothers, but I don't think they consider me old and decrepit!

Nanado Thu 17-Jan-13 16:34:23

Just tell her it's not the right time for a visit and you'll rearrange it when the forecast is better. Duh!

Nanado Thu 17-Jan-13 16:37:02

That wasn't supposed to say 'duh' sorry..it's the iPad ran away with again and then I posted instead of pre-viewed. I was going to add there will surely be other family get-togethers?

annodomini Thu 17-Jan-13 16:42:08

Lilygran, au contraire, my two forty-something sons don't believe I am old and decrepit! grin But if they thought I was proposing to drive in risky conditions, I am sure they would have a cautionary word with me.
Bermeiryour elderly aunt should by now have enough common sense to know what she can cope with, but it would show her you care, if you rang her up and put it tactfully that you would be worried about her.

Joan1 Fri 18-Jan-13 04:33:38

sorry I haven`t read all the posts on this thread so don`t know if it has been mentioned
could your aunt get the train instead of driving to you?

Bermeir Fri 18-Jan-13 07:24:06

Well she is 78. We've made in plain that the weather is atrocious -we'd feel guilty if we didn't. She is um-ing and aah-ing. We suppose we cannot stop her; but we have thoroughly emphasised how bad it is.

Bermeir Fri 18-Jan-13 07:26:08

Her age doesn't help at all, but the issue is really the weather. We wouldn't want a fit 20-year-old to come down in this, but, obviously, a fit 20-something has a better chance if they break down etc.

JessM Fri 18-Jan-13 08:07:01

But she is a grown up, with a life time of decision making. All you can do is let her know of any police warnings and remind her to pack boots, flask, food and blankets. sad Women of 78 often hate being treated like little old ladies grin Good luck with the party.

Greatnan Fri 18-Jan-13 08:33:11

You haven't said where you live, but there are severe weather warnings for most districts, so I am sure she will be sensible.