Gransnet forums

Chat

Snow

(114 Posts)
cinnamonstix Thu 17-Jan-13 20:14:46

Does anyone know if it's going to be bad in London and the South East?

On the Met Office map it's yellow? www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/se/se_forecast_weather.html

gma Sun 27-Jan-13 14:32:58

Whoopee !!!!!!! Its a lovely day here, after early rain!!! The sun is shining, the wind is blowing, the sky is a brilliant blue and for the first time since Christmas I have washing on the line and its dry!!!!!! What a lovely sight!!!! grin

absent Sun 27-Jan-13 09:20:18

It's all flood warnings from today onwards. It never rains but it pours…

HUNTERF Sun 27-Jan-13 07:58:24

Snow has mainly gone now. I can see a bit a snowman in the garden but that will soon be gone.
There was certainly water rushing in the drains last night. I could hear it from my front door.
I will be re stocking my freezer over the next couple of days.

Frank

annodomini Sat 26-Jan-13 16:26:11

Funny old climate here, Ella. My neighbour was in Wilmslow last night It was snowing and she found the road tricky on the way back here, until she got to the top of the hill at the Deanswater after which there was no snow on the roads at all and it was raining!

Ella46 Sat 26-Jan-13 16:12:42

No rain here either anno but the snow has just about melted away now.

gracesmum Sat 26-Jan-13 13:28:40

Funny how a glimmer of sun makes one think of spring - but I fear there's a long way to go! However sun shining her, snow melting so enjoy while I can as it's going to rain and rain next I understand!

annodomini Sat 26-Jan-13 11:15:37

Nellie, I think this town has its own micro-climate! We often seem to buck the trend.

Nelliemoser Sat 26-Jan-13 10:40:17

Anno it didnt rain at all in South East Cheshire where I am. These weather effects can be very localised. Its bright and still snowy here now.

HUNTERF Sat 26-Jan-13 10:31:05

Just seen another big lot of snow fall from a roof. May be best to stay in for a while.

Frank

annodomini Sat 26-Jan-13 10:27:44

Suddenly it looks quite spring-like outside though I haven't put my nose out there yet. The other day I noticed that the snowdrops were budding, so if the sun stays with us, perhaps they will be out soon.

HUNTERF Sat 26-Jan-13 10:14:44

A big sheet of semi icy snow has slipped off my roof on to the drive.
It was lucky my car was still in the garage and nobody was walking there at the time.
I think I will leave my car where it is today.

Frank

annodomini Sat 26-Jan-13 10:01:43

Here in NE Cheshire it rained all night and it's weird to think that not many miles away, the snow was causing such chaos on the local motorways.

Stansgran Sat 26-Jan-13 09:52:40

At least they flew in. My DH is flying in to Newcastle about 10.30 tonight and I'm flying on Monday. The sun (yes there really is one still there) is shining but there is a scouring wind. GC had a soaring temperature and then a nosebleed at 4.30am. Mainly because they leave layers of clothes at school .

gillybob Sat 26-Jan-13 09:47:06

Yes It was a shock to me too Harrigran I was bragging to Glass on the train home from Elegrans wonderful Burns Luncheon last night, *that the snow hardly ever lies, where I live" so close to the coast. Arrived home to a rather thick covering!

Must learn to keep my mouth shut !

harrigran Sat 26-Jan-13 09:37:41

My oh my, it didn't half snow last night. DD flew into Newcastle at 10pm in the middle of it.

Lilygran Sat 26-Jan-13 08:22:26

Met Office said there might be up to 10 cms overnight and they were absolutely right! I hope the rest of the forecast is, bright sunshine and a thaw. No sign of life out there. People have opened their curtains and gone back to bed, I think.

annodomini Fri 25-Jan-13 18:43:02

Oh, now it has changed to sleet or possibly even rain. Hope that doesn't freeze over. hmm

annodomini Fri 25-Jan-13 18:28:43

The snow has finally arrived here and is settling, though a thaw is forecast for tomorrow.

itsnevertoolate Fri 25-Jan-13 17:20:48

In answer to movedalot
did your boiler always go off the exact same time every day? Ours always goes off from 17:00 until 21:00 give or take half an hour either side.
you simply cannot get it (boiler) to stay on between those hours-well,it has stayed on for 10 minutes or so once...(all cheer!)
We are told it could not possibly be anything to do with room thermostat (but they have no idea at all,what the problem could be.
After weeks and weeks of carry on,the head honcho ifs finally coming tom night at the time it goes off,so watch this space!
(No doubt the boiler will begin to function perfectly normaly,the moment he arrives....sad

Movedalot Sun 20-Jan-13 13:50:51

It is coming down again thick and fast. We seem to have been caught in it when it came from SW and now again when it is comging from SE. Must feed the birds

Movedalot Fri 18-Jan-13 18:01:29

Not sure its the same thing but we had endless problems with our a couple of years ago and BG must have replaced most of it until they finally listened to DH and changed the thermostat to a wireless one, no troube since.

Good luck both.

jeni Fri 18-Jan-13 17:58:55

Oh I have circuit breakers so it can't be that.

jeni Fri 18-Jan-13 17:57:43

That's what happens to mine!
I'll bet it's the old git next door!

itsnevertoolate Fri 18-Jan-13 17:52:12

You have my commiserations about your boiler-
Ours has had a mysterious intermittent fault since November 25th!! sad
It goes off (shuts off) and cannot be restarted between round about 5pm (give or take half an hour) and 9pm (give or take half an hour)
During this time,we have no heating,and no hot water!
We had our routine British Gas service after this had happened once.Passed its test with flying colours.
Then it started doing it every night!!
They came back out (but not when it was off) and could find nothng wrong with it..
Then Insurance company sent their men -again,not during the "dodgy" hours.
They found nothing wrong with it,but replaced various parts just in case,however,this made no difference whatsoever.
Got the British Gas to check in coming gas pressures-which was perfect-including during the "dodgy" hours.
Everyone is baffled...
The only thing that we can think of,is that somewhere someone has a faulty bit of electrical equipment,which they use between those hours.
Usually,this would cause the trip switch to go off,and then it would prove the electrical theory-but unfortunatley,we have the old fashioned fuse box,with no trip switchsad
Insurance company say they will not come out again,as we have a "functioning boiler"
Quite how they came to this conclusion I dont know,unless they think that central heating (and hot water!) boilers are supposed to go off for 4 hours every evening! Aaaaaargh!

Ana Fri 18-Jan-13 16:48:52

merlot! grin I'd forgotten about flannelette sheets - wonder if there are any lurking at the bottom of the bedding cupboard...