Gransnet forums

Chat

Snow

(113 Posts)
cinnamonstix Thu 17-Jan-13 20:14:46

Does anyone know if it's going to be bad in London and the South East?

On the Met Office map it's yellow? www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/se/se_forecast_weather.html

annodomini Thu 17-Jan-13 20:49:36

So far, here in North East Cheshire, it's light snow that doesn't look as if it knows where it's going, but worse is forecast.

Grannyeggs Thu 17-Jan-13 20:56:18

I think we are supposed to get it later in the day tomorrow in London and South East not sure it is going to be as bad as some.

Ariadne Thu 17-Jan-13 20:58:51

Waiting to see what my first threat of snow in Devon will bring!

jeni Thu 17-Jan-13 21:41:40

Cold and chaos!

Lilygran Thu 17-Jan-13 21:45:57

It's supposed to be coming up from the SW and moving across the whole country overnight. It's snowing fairly confidently here in Sheffield and has been for a couple of hours.

Mishap Thu 17-Jan-13 22:02:41

Our village is right bang in the centre of the red zone on the weather map! Luckily the freezer is full; the oil tank is full; and we have a full canister of gas. Time to make some soup!!

FlicketyB Thu 17-Jan-13 22:11:58

We are at our house in Normandy and meant to be coming back to England Friday afternoon. If we have snow here and are snowed in (our house is very rural) I have already checked foodstocks here and reckon they could be stretched to last a week!!

The ferry is due to arrive in Portsmouth at 9.30pm. We then need to drive to Oxfordshire. To make matters worse the A34, the only direct road home is closed north of the M4 at night at the moment. All the alternatives involve windy country roads and we do not fancy those at night in snow or if it is snowing

Fortunately we have friends who live just off the motorway 5 miles from Portsmouth so if the weather is bad tomorrow we will see if they can give us a bed for Friday night rather than drive any further. If they are away we will probably stay overnight in a hotel and drive home on Saturday morning.

j07 Thu 17-Jan-13 22:13:19

It's forecast to thaw on Monday. Tomorrow is Friday. hmm

merlotgran Thu 17-Jan-13 22:21:53

If there is a lot of snow tomorrow we will be snowed in. The farm road is dangerous because it's impossible to see the drains on either side. We are well stocked up with plenty of human and animal food, logs, camping gas (we get frequent power cuts) and emergency supplies of wine. The kindle is fully charged and so is the laptop. Lots of batteries for radio and torches. Reckon we're ready???

johanna Thu 17-Jan-13 23:01:42

Same here in the East Midlands merlot
Already dreading the inevitable powercut. Mrs.Aga will conk out 'cause she is electric.
Will have to stick pan on the woodburner, and light fire in the drawing room as well. Brrrrrrr.
The worst thing for me is not being able to read, and laptop only lasts two hours at most.

Ana Thu 17-Jan-13 23:05:51

Oh, johanna, haven't you got any candles? Or a lamp powered by batteries? I hate to think of you in the dark and without access to GN - let's hope it's not as bad as they are forecasting...sad

merlotgran Thu 17-Jan-13 23:09:14

I will save my laptop battery for rationed visits to GN grin

artygran Thu 17-Jan-13 23:12:11

Which bit of Sheffield do you live in Lilygran? We haven't had any in our bit since about five o'clock, then it was only light. Expecting most of it tommorrow about lunchtime. Can't wait (not!).

annodomini Thu 17-Jan-13 23:14:37

Just noticed it's now settling, but still not exactly a blizzard.

Ella46 Thu 17-Jan-13 23:17:31

It's stopped here anno, and just a powdering on the cars.

annodomini Thu 17-Jan-13 23:27:58

Well, if it's stopped with you it should stop here in a few minutes.

annodomini Thu 17-Jan-13 23:39:29

Ah, no, Ella, it's falling faster now and the flakes are getting bigger. Brrrrr!
Tomorrow might be the time to try our those crampon things I've bought. moon and this time I mean it.

numberplease Thu 17-Jan-13 23:53:33

Wind-up torches are handy in power cuts, and safer than candles. I remember all the power cuts in the late 70s and early 80s because of the miners and power workers strikes. We had to walk into the town centre every day to find out what times our electric would be off, then home to make up flasks and sandwiches ready for the power going off. We ate a lot of sandwiches at those times!

Greatnan Fri 18-Jan-13 00:14:28

I am surprised you still get power cuts because of snow - aren't most of the wires underground now?

glassortwo Fri 18-Jan-13 07:49:02

greatnan its Britain and you know how everything falls apart at the slightest change in the weather hmm

How have you all fared through the night, hope everyone is ok. We are not expecting any heavy snow until this afternoon, the remote area's of Northumberland are having some heavy falls at the moment.

Lilygran Fri 18-Jan-13 08:25:53

Artygran S10. As you may know, we get our own private blizzards here! About 3 inches last night. But it isn't snowing this morning and it doesn't seem to have snowed any more during the night. And the gritters have been very busy.

Gally Fri 18-Jan-13 08:28:58

Not so much as a snowflake here although Carol with the weather has just told me that the east of Scotland may get some later on. Hope everyone keeps safe and warm today sunshine

jeni Fri 18-Jan-13 09:09:53

Over 2" here!

dorsetpennt Fri 18-Jan-13 09:11:07

Woke to snow - although it's that horrible wet stuff that we get here so doesn't crunch underfoot. My daughter works at the local Uni so she has the day off. Being a seaside town we don't get much snow very often - though that has changed the past few years.