Gransnet forums

Chat

Beards

(67 Posts)
tattynan Sun 20-Jan-13 14:19:12

I've noticed beards seem to be coming back in fashion.where do you stand on them? I like a well trimmed beard on a man but long bushy ones are a no no.

Granny23 Sun 20-Jan-13 17:41:31

We have a beardie family - DH, Both sons-out-law (one of whom is also a slaphead) + both their brothers, other Grandpa and even I sprout the odd hair or two these days shock [bearded smiley]

absent Sun 20-Jan-13 17:46:06

Can anyone tell me who that scruffy looking man is in the advertisement for Chanel No 5? I am sure someone can but can they then tell me why a scruffy looking man is advertising a scent for women?

tanith Sun 20-Jan-13 17:56:40

j07 I don't know how that happened I've changed it now..

kittylester Sun 20-Jan-13 18:00:14

absent is that Brad Pitt?

tanith Sun 20-Jan-13 18:04:52

It is Brad Pitt and apparently even the director of the add doesn't understand what its all about.. daft if you ask me..

annodomini Sun 20-Jan-13 18:12:21

It is possible to be scruffy and sexy at the same time. You understand, I am not saying that I necessarily find Brad Pitt specially sexy. Now, if it was George Cluny...wink

nanaej Sun 20-Jan-13 18:55:31

I go for slightly scruffy & quirky as a look! www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/johnny-depp-died-plane-crash-rum-diary-director-bruce-robinson-article-1.971422

DH has always had long hair, a moustache & /or a beard since he was about 21.. prior to that he was a mod! Hair length was at optimum in his 20s /30s but now sits happily on his collar!

His beard & 'tache are now white as are sideburns but his full head of hair retains a reddish tinge of the copper /auburn it was in his youth! I still like it!wink

j07 Sun 20-Jan-13 18:57:56

Oh yes. I remember you now. (Tanith).

That sort of beard is a good look. Am trying to persuade son to do the same.

annodomini Sun 20-Jan-13 19:04:24

All well and good, if it's on Johnny Depp, but it wouldn't suit every man.

grannyactivist Sun 20-Jan-13 21:06:33

The Wonderful Man habitually has a rather splendid handlebar moustache which apparently makes him a 'legend' in the eyes of his children and their friends. He did return from Norway sprouting a rather scruffy beard (didn't shave during the eight weeks he was away), but it was not an attractive look!
The moustache was shaved off a couple of times during the early years of our marriage, but our youngest daughter was so traumatised by seeing her daddy's naked face that he pledged never to be without it again. I love it - and it makes people smile - and The Wonderful Man is such a kind man that he doesn't mind the occasional sniggers and stares. And, probably for the only time in his entire life - his moustache has put him right on trend. I can even buy cushions with handlebar moustaches on at the moment. Which I won't of course. (I hope to keep my cushions for many years longer than moustaches are likely to be fashionable. grin)

nanaej Sun 20-Jan-13 21:25:59

My brother has a splendid bushy moustache. It fascinates many children but others recoil! It would be weird if he shaved it off now!

dorsetpennt Mon 21-Jan-13 09:43:41

Stubble is painful for any 'snogging sessions' [ooh er] I remember developing a terrible rash years ago from such an occasion. It depends on the beard, they can be quite soft - in the late 60's early 70's beards were very popular, so I had to do some research smile. Some beards are very bristly so not so nice, my ex's beard [still has it apparently] was a soft beard. Trouble with beards is that they tend to harbour bits of food and the smell of any foods or worst still ciggie smells.

j07 Mon 21-Jan-13 09:49:11

I'm tempted to say I'd risk it with those linked to - but wouldn't dream of it!!!! shock

Agree about food etc in bushy beards. Eugh!

j07 Mon 21-Jan-13 09:51:06

granny-a Yes, it could be a shock for a little'un to see daddy bare-faced after being used to a beard! In a "what's happened to poor daddy" kind of a way! smile

annodomini Mon 21-Jan-13 10:15:56

dorset, I've always had that suspicion about Rowan Williams's beard. It does look as if it would have s bird's nest somewhere in there. grin

feetlebaum Mon 21-Jan-13 11:37:22

I sported a smallish beard for about ten years - then one day I shaved it off, and there was a younger bloke looking back at me from the mirror...

While I wore it, I had no complaints from the snogging department. I despise any man who affects 'deezyner stubble' - either grow it or shave it, nobody is impressed by your casual cool (ha!)

Ella46 Mon 21-Jan-13 11:39:41

Sorry feetle but I like designer stubble given half a chance grin

Anne58 Mon 21-Jan-13 13:50:00

One chap that I worked with often had to be told that he had food in his beard.

Cress and errant baked beans seemed to be the most frequent offenders.

grumppa Mon 21-Jan-13 21:29:25

Yes I do like a well trimmed beard on a man. But then I'm biassed. I've had one since 1967 (not always well trimmed, I must confess). Whether Mrs. Grumppa is that keen is another matter.

Ana Mon 21-Jan-13 21:31:22

Don't you care, grumppa? confused grin

susieb755 Mon 21-Jan-13 23:08:14

My DH grew a beard in the late 90's but he looked like a chechen rebel, so I made him shave it off !

I do like a hairy chest though......

grumppa Tue 22-Jan-13 12:26:00

Yes, Ana, I do care. I actually hadn't been aware of a problem until DW made an unexpected comment while reading this thread.

Ana Tue 22-Jan-13 12:29:47

Oh dear...well, better late than never grumppa.

constance Wed 23-Jan-13 21:56:37

Hey Phoenix, do you mean cress that is growing in the beard or has just caught there?
grin

jeni Wed 23-Jan-13 22:07:11

I loved my darlings beard. He first grew it when we bought our boat as we found out that lumpy seas and wet shaving didn't mix well!