Gransnet forums

Chat

puppy or kitten?

(32 Posts)
JessM Sat 02-Feb-13 16:47:46

If one was to get a pet. And it's a big if. And if it was to be a mammal, rather than a fish or a hen. And assuming rodents and hoofed animals off the list of possibles. Would it be a puppy or a kitten?

Deedaa Sat 02-Feb-13 23:35:42

Not sure about the unconditional love when it comes to our cats! "I will love you if you feed me and let me sleep on the bed" is more like it. Definitely a pair of kittens for me though. Not quite as demanding as dogs, easier to leave for a day, and I just like them. (Do miss our Border Collie still after 7 years though)

jeni Sat 02-Feb-13 23:43:25

Allergic to cats.

Anne58 Sat 02-Feb-13 23:54:00

I disagree with those who say one is either a cat person or a dog person, until current circumstances I have always had both, plus ducks, chickens, bantams, sheep and horses/ponies/donkeys!

Mr P and I currently have 3 cats, when I was with exdh in addition to the list above, we had 2 cats and three dogs.

However I would say that cats, especially 2 litter siblings, might be the better option.

Tegan Sun 03-Feb-13 00:14:07

I often used to wonder when the kids were young and we had dogs, cats, guinea pigs and the old pony why there was so much trouble in world when said pets [and us] used to muddle along so happily.

absent Sun 03-Feb-13 08:08:45

Dogs are fiercely loyal. Cats are total tarts. Both make great pets.

What about a rabbit – that fits your criteria JessM? I had one when I was at university. He was very beautiful, called Pheidippides and used to come to lectures with me. He eventually went to live with a friend's little sister because although he understood that that there was a difference between his litter tray and my bed, he was confused about their purpose and use to sleep in his litter tray…

My elder granddaughter keeps hoping that I shall keep alpacas or llamas when we get to NZ. She is going to be disappointed.

dorsetpennt Sun 03-Feb-13 10:13:29

I've had both. However, dogs take a great deal more care and attention. My last died in 2005, a beloved black Lab called Bella. I found her passing so awful that I kept putting off getting another dog. In the meantime 2 little granddaughters arrived and I go up at least every other month to spend time with them. I can leave my cat and a friend pops in to feed her - the cat comes and goes in the cat flap and is quite happy. Well I say this as she is always so pleased to see me she 'haunts' me for the rest of the day. When my suitcase comes down she glares at it and potters off grumbling. To say a cat is not affectionate must come from people who have never had them. As I sit typing this she sits next to me purring and rubbing her head on the lap top.
It's all a matter of your lifestyle when it comes to getting a dog. They must not be left more the 4 hours, need two decent walks a day - according to the breed - vet bills, spaying, insurance, wear and tear on your house with a chewing puppy. Why not get a rescue dog - but then it can come with problems too, depending on it's history. Do some research on the type of dog that would suit your needs. I know a lady in her 70's who bought a Border Collie. This dog needs so much exercise, they are better suited to country people as they really are a working dog. In the end she passed the dog onto a local farmer, in it's boredom the dog ate it's way through her furniture.
Puppies look cute but grow into dogs, sometimes big dogs. So as a dog lover really think carefully before committing yourself. Good Luck.