Gransnet forums

Chat

Private Messaging

(92 Posts)
Learnergran Mon 04-Feb-13 10:28:24

Just a thought, up for discussion.
It strikes me that much of the recent brouhaha on GN is caused by and fuelled by private messaging. Thus the reason why so few of us know what is going on until it erupts yet again.
I myself have been greatly comforted by some private messages. But I have to say that PMing can also seem to have such destructive results.
Any thoughts?

absent Mon 04-Feb-13 15:27:27

Some of them, yes, petallus.

janthea Mon 04-Feb-13 15:25:36

Getting nasty again. Completely unnecessary!

petallus Mon 04-Feb-13 15:22:19

Absent knows who the popular and highly respected members are because she is their friend and confidante.

No bias there then smile

absent Mon 04-Feb-13 15:16:58

Movedalot Let us call the poster Doris and the recipient Gladys for argument's sake. Doris sends a pm to Gladys that is about you with the knowledge that Gladys will forward it to you. That would be a very devious way for Doris to incite trouble. It's just a scenario; I can't see any other way of inciting trouble. I don't know – I have never forwarded any pms to anyone.

Could you just avoid sneering at me once, please. Of course, I haven't decided that particular people are among the most popular and highly respected; it is obvious from the attitude of other Gransnetters towards them over a period of many months.

j07 Mon 04-Feb-13 15:08:09

shock Now see what you've done! hmm

Poor Geraldine.

Movedalot Mon 04-Feb-13 15:07:47

I would love to know Absent how you decide who are the 'most popular and highly respected members'? Unless there has been a poll, which I must have missed, then it is surely only your opinion?

I am a little confused how someone telling me what is in a PM they have received can be described as 'devious' if you presumably think that those which have been disclosed to you by others are not. I would appreciate it if you would clarify. Maybe the drugs are stopping me understanding. sad

Is it not possible to 'incite' in a PM? I think it is.

GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 04-Feb-13 15:06:58

We could of course stop PMs but they do seem to be valued by quite a lot of gransnetters. Can't emphasise enough to report any iffy ones to us.

We think we've dealt with this particular issue of what politicians might call gang culture for the time being. There was some mischief making going on; sorry it has been such a headache.

<retires to a darkened room with the migraleve>

Ana Mon 04-Feb-13 15:06:56

Of course.

absent Mon 04-Feb-13 15:05:18

Ana If some Gransnetters sought reassurance and comfort from Movedalot because they had received insulting pms, then I am sure that she would have responded readily.

j07 Mon 04-Feb-13 15:02:48

Pleeease!!

j07 Mon 04-Feb-13 15:02:29

Oh! Can't we have a list somewhere?! Who sent what to who/whom (?)

Ana Mon 04-Feb-13 15:01:30

Perhaps some Gransnetters consider Movedalot to be a friend and confidante as well.

absent Mon 04-Feb-13 14:59:20

petallus Some Gransnetters consider me a friend and a confidante.

petallus Mon 04-Feb-13 14:58:24

absent how do you know about the private messages sent to these popular and highly respected members?

Nobody told me.

absent Mon 04-Feb-13 14:54:36

Movedalot If you say so. Presumably helpful Gransnetters have been passing these pms on to you. Inciting trouble seems a little OTT as it's difficult to see what sort of trouble anyone could incite – except, perhaps, helpful Gransnetters passing them on to you. That would be devious. Still, if you say so.

I think I should make it clear that I haven't been talking about any pms I have received. I am big enough and I'm sure most would agree quite nasty enough to take care of myself. I am talking about pms sent to other Grannetters, some of whom are among our most popular and highly respected members.

nanapug Mon 04-Feb-13 13:43:25

Surely we should be encouraging people who receive these nasty PMs to report them, and make sure GN actually does something about it. It would not be tolerated in other forums. It is a form of bullying, and should not be tolerated, full stop. As you sayMovedalot I would hope that they would feel bad about it on reading this thread, but sadly I have my doubts sad

Movedalot Mon 04-Feb-13 13:43:17

I disagree Absent if someone sends PMs to other members inciting trouble and lying about another member behind their back it is despicable. At least if that person had done it to me directly I could have responded. Now I am left wondering what other mischief that person has got up to that I haven't heard about. I'm not as bothered as that sounds because I think most members would have more sense than to believe such rubbish.

Ana Mon 04-Feb-13 13:39:42

I'm assuming you mean those PMs sent by a member who has recently left to several GN members, absent. I would have thought that was a one-off incident which is unlikely to happen again, although it must have been very unpleasant for the victims.

I thought this was a discussion about PMs in general.

absent Mon 04-Feb-13 13:34:01

Of course you haven't Kali and I made no such accusation. The only pm I have ever received from you (in a previous incarnation) was delightful.

Movedalot The nasty pms I am talking about don't talk about third parties, except sometimes gransnetters' family members. They are directly abusive to the person who has received them. That is far nastier and more spiteful than whatever victimisation you are talking about.

Movedalot Mon 04-Feb-13 13:28:22

Good for you Kali I can unserstand why you feel the need to say that, I felt I had to too as I am one of the ones who has been unjustly referred to in the nasty PMs.

Please don't go, you are one of the good guys and we need more like you. smile

j07 Mon 04-Feb-13 13:27:46

This thread is not important because GN are never going to change anything just to suit the members.

I like surreal too.

Kali Mon 04-Feb-13 13:21:22

PS nor have I ever received an unkind one, they all have been very supportive.

Kali Mon 04-Feb-13 13:19:50

Can I make it very clear that I have never sent Absent an unkind or spiteful PM. I am still here until later on today.

Movedalot Mon 04-Feb-13 12:58:37

I think it highly likely that the people who have been unpleasant to others in PMs are reading this thread and, hopefully, regretting what they have done. I really do hope that they are not so arrogant as to think they are for some reason a special case and think it acceptable to behave in this way just because a PM is of necessity private. Having never sent or received such a PM I wonder at the mentality of someone who wants to stir things up in this way. They must be very unhappy people and I feel sorry for them.

Elegran Mon 04-Feb-13 12:34:32

Learnergran My point was really that those who want to be heard on the subject of their grievances would not use a thread which is going to sink off the bottom of the list if no-one had used it for a while.They might not even know that it existed. They add posts to the thread on which the attack happened, or start another one (or just vanish without announcing their departure)