Gransnet forums

Chat

Visiting north east coast

(24 Posts)
glassortwo Fri 03-May-13 21:00:18

story come to the true North East as gillieB said the Northumberland coastline and you will see the most outstanding coast there is, very isolared but perfect but there again I am biased. smile But we dont broadcast it or we will be overrun by visitors wink

storynanny Fri 03-May-13 20:46:12

GillieB, my geog is hopeless!

Nonu Fri 03-May-13 17:27:02

Actually I am comimg round to the idea of dandelions , pretty yellow colour , I am taking a different view of my garden now , if things grow , and are not too invasive , I let them be.

Going for the wilder look

Galen Fri 03-May-13 17:01:46

I agree about the dandelions. I've never seen so many.

GillieB Fri 03-May-13 16:46:35

When we were down in Devon last week the banks under the hedgerows were absolutely full of primroses - never seen so many before. It didn't make up for the cold weather, though!

By the way, Storynanny, for those of us who live in County Durham and Northumberland the Yorkshire coast seems quite a long way south - north east coast to us doesn't encompass Yorkshire. smile

Tegan Fri 03-May-13 14:49:10

Never seen so many dandelions before at this time of year.

Stansgran Fri 03-May-13 13:51:20

In this part of the world the dandelions are going mad at the side of the road. Wish it were daffs

storynanny Fri 03-May-13 12:24:07

Well we had a lovely time. You lucky people who live on this coast line. We are back to our lovely south coast now.
For those of you following my other threads, we are calling in on my dad on the way home. He's home after four weeks hospital following a stroke. He's doing well and making progress as expected for a man of 84.
As for my other thread....... No big talk about the future happened in the caravan. I decided I didn't want to spoil a lovely holiday by deep meaningful one sided discussions! Will wait till we get home.
By the way, is it my imagination or are there massive amounts of wild daffodils on the sides of roads in yorkshire , more than the rest of the UK?

numberplease Wed 01-May-13 21:24:39

We haven`t been to Hornsea for donkeys years, the pottery was still there when we went, that was worth a day out on it`s own.

storynanny Wed 01-May-13 19:33:09

Noooo made a mistake, not per night it's £10 per person per week!

storynanny Wed 01-May-13 19:32:40

Yes, did walk some of the city walls today. Had afternoon tea at Betty's but was very disappointed, my scones are much much much nicer!
Yes we are going to have a drive to flam head and down to Bridlington tomorrow. Might drive down to Hornsea for a bit of retail therapy and a meal later in the day. I'm delighted with the weather, it's been lovely so far.
Will get on with mentally writing my itinerary for tomorrow now.
By the way, anyone looking for a very very cheap way to find a base for exploring should save the tokens\passwords for this type of holiday out of the paper. Our cheapo bronze level caravan is absolutely fine to eat breakfast, have a shower and sleep in, all for £10 per person per night with power included. We will be looking out for another bargain break later in the summer.

numberplease Wed 01-May-13 17:28:26

Glad you`re enjoying your holiday Storynanny, I just KNEW you`d have aching legs after that little lot!
Did you walk the city walls in York?
As for Bridlington, depending on what you like to do, there`s Flamborough head for the cliffs and the lighthouse, and Bempton Cliff if you like to watch the seabirds. And the main town beach in Brid is quite nice, if you get the weather for it.

storynanny Tue 30-Apr-13 21:33:42

Just seen it was number please who mentioned the climbing, you were right, my legs really ache tonight.

storynanny Tue 30-Apr-13 21:32:29

Well, whoever said it was all up and down hills was certainly right! We are really enjoying our few days up here on the east coast and had a busy itinerary ( yes, planned just like a school trip!) today visiting a couple of p.aces a.ong the coast. Loved Staithes and Robin Hoods Bay especially. Might visit York tomorrow. What about the coastline around Bridlington, any hidden gems in that area?

numberplease Sun 24-Mar-13 23:35:21

You need lots of energy for Staithes and Robin Hood`s Bay, those hills are steeeeeep!! In York, the walk around the city walls is good. And Bridlington is nice, I think, although perhaps not to everyone`s taste.

GillieB Sun 24-Mar-13 19:54:53

We have been to Whitby three times since July last year. The first time we went we drove up the coast to Sandsend and happened to see a sign saying "Teas" on a driveway - so we drove up, past a building site, to a lovely hotel called Raithwaite Hall. It is a large, new, stone built hotel with the most wonderful grounds at the back. It was quite pleasant summer day so we sat on the terrace with our teas and thought "we really like it here". We have been back twice since then and stayed at the hotel (both on deals through Groupon) - it's really lovely and the food is excellent. All locally produced stuff. I know your accommodation is sorted out, but if you are looking for somewhere to have afternoon tea (either the proper one, or even just a cup), I would recommend it.

storynanny Sun 24-Mar-13 18:58:10

Great, keep the ideas coming please! Would love to be able to use a bus pass but not old enough yet! (56)

matson Sun 24-Mar-13 18:18:26

whitby, saltburn, staithes, scarbrough. but bring wellies and woollies! oh and a kite grin

Stansgran Sun 24-Mar-13 14:45:11

Whitby go to the magpie cafe for fish and chips. In fact the fish shops are brilliant they list the trawlers and their catches daily. Lots of jet shops but I think most comes from the far east these days. I love Sandsend , a resort in a fifties timewarp but with some great tea shops pub food and last time I was there a very good restaurant . The north york moors visitor centre is also a beautiful setting and the steam train is great fun. Eating well is a Yorkshire pastime. York is hard on the feet and parking is best done by Park andRide. Don't forget your bus pass. There are so many nice tea shops that it would be hard to choose the Pig and Pastry is brilliant,Betty's is a national treasure but queues out of the door at the weekend I could go on. Harrogate and Harlow Carr gardens(they both have a Betty's)Rivevaulx and rose dale and fountains abbey. You need far longer than five days

HUNTERF Sat 23-Mar-13 23:22:00

Had a very nice Sunday Lunch in Henry's Café, Whitby in 2009.
Really I don't like recommending places as there could be a change of chef, manager or you never know if the place is still there.

Frank

Elegran Sat 23-Mar-13 23:02:03

York is not that far away. Whitby and Robin Hood's Bay. Steam trains.

Sook Sat 23-Mar-13 22:54:57

Why not contact the nearest tourist information and ask them? I did this last year as I wanted to get as much as possible out of a day trip to Oxford with disabled DH. They were very helpful and we enjoyed our visit to the full.

gracesmum Sat 23-Mar-13 22:19:42

Once a teacher eh? Have you completed the 12 page risk assessment too?

storynanny Sat 23-Mar-13 22:13:19

Just that really, going on a really posh expensive ( not really, the caravan £10 deal out of the paper!) holiday at the end of April for 5 days near Filey. We will have the car and with my dodgy knees can walk up to about 3 miles a day. Anyone suggest a few interesting places to visit nearby? We like wandering about just enjoying looking at new places, nice cafes, lovely scenery etc, not too keen on museums and art galleries though.
Hope you will be able to come up with some ideas for us so that I can devise an itinerary.( once a teacher always a teacher, got to have an itinerary on a trip )