Gransnet forums

Chat

To warm you better than a coffee on a cold winter's day

(17 Posts)
gracesmum Thu 28-Mar-13 20:08:42

A friend posted this on Facebook and I thought I would share it with you:

This story will warm you better than a coffee on a cold winter's day:

"We enter a little coffeehouse with a friend of mine and give our order. While we're approaching our table two people come in and they go to the counter -
'Five coffees, please. Two of them for us and three suspended'
They pay for their order, take the two and leave. I ask my friend:
'What are those 'suspended' coffees ?'
'Wait for it and you will see'
Some more people enter. Two girls ask for one coffee each, pay and go. The next order was for seven coffees and it was made by three lawyers - three for them and four 'suspended'. While I still wonder what's the deal with those 'suspended' coffees I enjoy the sunny weather and the beautiful view towards the square in front of the café. Suddenly a man dressed in shabby clothes who looks like a beggar comes in through the door and kindly asks
'Do you have a suspended coffee ?'
It's simple - people pay in advance for a coffee meant for someone who can not afford a warm beverage. The tradition with the suspended coffees started in Naples, but it has spread all over the world and in some places you can order not only a suspended coffee, but also a sandwich or a whole meal."

j08 Thu 28-Mar-13 20:10:10

Right. I dare you to try it in Costa tomorrow. grin

Anne58 Thu 28-Mar-13 20:13:11

I like that graces smile much better idea than just giving money to someone begging.

tanith Thu 28-Mar-13 20:49:07

What a great idea.. I've certainly never heard of it..

whenim64 Thu 28-Mar-13 21:17:22

What a good idea. I would happily pay for 'suspended' sandwiches and coffee for someone in need. Another example of random acts of kindness. smile

positivepam Thu 28-Mar-13 22:15:16

I think that is a lovely idea and wish I knew somewhere to do it. smile

j08 Thu 28-Mar-13 22:23:12

But would the assistant behind the counter know what you meant? grin I think you might get some puzzled looks.

glammanana Thu 28-Mar-13 22:43:01

Such a great idea we have lots of new Coffee Shops opened on the front at the New Brighton development over looking the River about 6 in total I bet they have never heard of it,I am going to let them know and see if any are interested.

Greatnan Thu 28-Mar-13 23:27:02

A wonderful idea, but I wonder if the staff of some coffee chains would be ready to welcome it as it would encourage some rough sleepers to enter the shop. You would have to trust the staff as well, or they could just pocket the extra money.

Movedalot Fri 29-Mar-13 09:52:23

I think that is an excellent idea, how can we get it going in the UK? I know that Pret a Manger give their unsold sandwiches to the homeless, I've seen them doing so in Covent Garden.

I did embarrass a son once when a young guy came up to me begging for money to pay for a hostel and buy food. I told him I would not give him money but would take him to buy a sandwich. He looked very confused and kept asking for money while I kept offering to buy a sandwich. Eventually he backed off from the mad woman. Son explained to me that he really wanted drug money and was very surprised I already knew that.

Gorki Fri 29-Mar-13 10:55:12

We had a similar experience with a young man sitting outside a supermarket with a dog. DH will not give money but goes inside and buys some food for the dog.Young man seemed grateful but looked a bit daunted.

I do think the suspended coffee idea is a good one.A pity it isn't publicised a bit more.

glammanana Fri 29-Mar-13 11:20:31

Gorki looking around other forums this morning it is now widely publicised so thats a good thing I think.smile

Nonu Fri 29-Mar-13 16:36:55

I think that is a really good idea .

Something I will be doing in future .

sunshine nearly all gone now

Gorki Fri 29-Mar-13 16:59:14

Excellent!

Mishap Fri 29-Mar-13 17:06:22

Interesting idea - presumably the word would need to go round the homeless population about where this is this happening in order for it to work.

Ana Fri 29-Mar-13 17:38:30

Presumably the price of the 'suspended' coffees would be rung up on the till and a receipt given, so the staff wouldn't be able to pocket the money, Greatnan.

Nonu Fri 29-Mar-13 18:09:20

Right on the money Ana , it is a given ,

Oh yea of little faith , other posters .

moon