Clever gadget for supermarket trolleys

(31 Posts)
ninathenana Sat 15-Jun-13 17:22:26

Noken

ninathenana Sat 15-Jun-13 17:21:59

I have just googled Nolen

Apparently they are a sanitary ware manufacturer grin

FlicketyB Sat 15-Jun-13 15:43:23

A clever gadget for a supermarket trolley would be one that enabled it to automatically take itself to the repair bay when the wheels stopped steering straight.

annodomini Sat 15-Jun-13 15:29:55

In our Waitrose there is a sign telling us that if we take a trolley out of the surrounding area, it will lock. I don't know anyone who has tried this as my friends are a law-abiding lot, but I presume it's a deterrent to those who would dump trolleys in the local lake. So no need for coins or tokens here.

Greatnan Sat 15-Jun-13 15:20:56

Every supermarket in France, as far as I can tell, gives tokens freely - they are usually in a bowl on the counter. They come out of the trolley just as if they were a €1 coin. I haven't seem many trolleys being misused in France, even though it would be just as easy to steal them as it is in England.

grandimars Sat 15-Jun-13 14:24:00

I've just acquired a Noken (=no token) to unlock a supermarket trolley without needing a £1 coin. It hangs on my key ring but unlike those tokens you can get, it doesn't remain in the trolley. You insert, unlock, twist to remove and put it away. It's not circular so it's great for arthritic fingers. It cost 2.99 euros (was posted in Bulgaria so took about ten days to arrive).
www.nokens.com/