Gransnet forums

Chat

At this time I have GN all to myself

(16 Posts)
kittylester Wed 19-Jun-13 12:41:25

Mollie we used to have one but can't remember what it was called confused. Do start another one!

Ariadne Wed 19-Jun-13 12:37:51

I started one ages ago, called something like "Is anyone else awake?" and had some good chats with other insomniacs, so it would work, mollie!

mollie Wed 19-Jun-13 12:23:26

Two nights ago I was awake and online here at 3am and wondered if anyone else was too but didn't know how to find out. I wondered then if a middle-of-the-night thread might be useful ...

FlicketyB Wed 19-Jun-13 11:32:12

I was up until after 2.00pm. We came home after being away for a week to discover that the planning application to build some houses in our village is up before the planning committee tonight. The plan is very contentious, not the houses, but the access to them which is a very narrow lane running two sides of the school.

By the time I had spoken to neighbours, discussed ideas, prepared verbal objections, dealt with everything else that awaits one after being away for a week it was after midnight and my brain was still whirring. By the time I got to bed I had to read for an hour and then turn the radio on low before I could drift off.

j08 Wed 19-Jun-13 09:13:06

(Gransnet, that is)

j08 Wed 19-Jun-13 09:12:28

At that time of the night, you're welcome to it. wink

Greatnan Wed 19-Jun-13 09:01:15

The World Service used to have some good soporific programmes!

HUNTERF Wed 19-Jun-13 08:20:01

I was awake at about 3.30 this morning.
The telephone rang and Andie started barking.
It turned out to be a wrong number ( somebody wanting a taxi ).
This happens about twice a year. It is annoying but the callers want to speak to different people on various numbers.
I could change my number but I could get the same problem with a new number and I would have to inform lots of people of the change.
It was my parents number and this has been happening for over 50 years.
I did not put my laptop on.

Frank

absent Wed 19-Jun-13 07:32:06

Bluebell I am glad to hear that it wasn't something dreadful and very major keeping you awake, but sad and kind at the same time, of course. I hope you have a lovely day celebrating your daughter's birthday with her. Then you will probably sleep well. smile

Mamie Wed 19-Jun-13 07:19:38

I was awake before 4am too. We had a huge thunderstorm and had not unplugged the wifi router the night before. I got up to unplug it all, then the catarrh from my last cold came back and I coughed until 5am, when we got up and made the tea. Oh dear.

bluebell Wed 19-Jun-13 07:14:59

I listened to a fascinating programme on Simon Bolivar and the fell asleep. You're quite right Absent - there was a reason. Had been to a funeral and was fretting about the bereaved husband as he now move into this next stage in this ineffably sad journey. But today is DDs birthday - we are to have a spa day together and then a family dinner cooked by DSIL - so I will get up now, very mindful of my blessings,

Faye Wed 19-Jun-13 06:44:10

I am awake because it is 3.40pm here. I have been painting the skirting of one of my bedrooms. When I can't sleep I read something on my iPad and snuggle down and usually drift back off to sleep.

Greatnan Wed 19-Jun-13 04:48:38

The blinding sun woke me at 4.15 a.m because I had forgotten to close my curtains completely, but I couldn't get a connection at once.
I often drop off in the afternoons, after my walk (or this week, long swim) and then I can't sleep at night. I try to read until my eyes get tired and then, when I am at home, I play some classical CDs very quietly (I have no neighbours anyway). Here, I just think beautiful thoughts and compose brilliant posts in my head!

absent Wed 19-Jun-13 03:51:56

Hi Bluebell. Why are you awake at this hour of the morning? Are you okay and just unable to sleep or is there something more? It's afternoon (Wednesday) in New Zealand so that's why I'm awake but I do know that feeling when, having been disturbed, it then becomes impossible to go back to sleep. You are probably wise to listen to the radio for a while and then snuggle down again. I hope you do manage to get a little more rest. Take care.

bluebell Wed 19-Jun-13 03:30:53

No? All right then - will listen to the radio

bluebell Wed 19-Jun-13 03:29:42

3.29 and wide awake. Anybody there?