Gransnet forums

Chat

Learn and teach Latin here

(114 Posts)
Grannyknot Thu 04-Jul-13 22:01:37

One of the other threads reminded me of how much I love certain Latin phrases. Here are just two of my favourites, I'd love to hear from others (in brackets is my own understanding, may not be exactly the correct meaning):

- in flagrante delicto (caught in the act)
- audi alteram partem (let both sides be heard).

I used to know quite a bit of Latin (although never studied it) from the time I worked in the Student Disciplinary Court at a Uni. <puts learn Latin on list of things to do when I retire>.

CelticRose Wed 31-Jul-13 10:51:49

By wanting control over the Moon, what a wonderful creation the internet turned out to be. I don't remember that much about secondary schooling apart from the fact that it left me with this brain that wants to keep on learning. Whilst I recall a few Latin phrases from school, the internet has made it so easy. Has anyone else checked out the Latin web sites?

aut viam inveniam aut faciam
I will either find a way or make one

adde parvum parvo magnus acervus erit
Add a little to a little and there will be a great heap.

castigat ridendo mores
One corrects customs by laughing at them.

legum servi sumus ut liberi esse possimus
We are slaves of the law in order that we may be able to be free.

non omnis moriar
Not all of me shall die.

parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus
Mountains will be in labour, and a ridiculous mouse will be born
(all that work and nothing to show for it)

Maniac Tue 30-Jul-13 09:29:30

Tegan I saw Maddy Prior and Steeleye Span at Colston Hall in Bristol
a few years ago-absolutely loved it!

Tegan Mon 29-Jul-13 22:38:43

I try to sing along to it confused...

Tegan Mon 29-Jul-13 22:37:36

www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0wvWOspVMM

Tegan Mon 29-Jul-13 22:22:55

I've got a Maddy Prior and the Carnival Band Christmas Carols cd and my favourite tracks are the ones sung in Latin.

Maniac Mon 29-Jul-13 21:39:00

Some of you must have sung in Mozart's Ave Verum
some beautiful recordings on line:-

Ave verum corpus,
Natum de Maria Virgine,
Vere passum, immolatum
In cruce pro homine,
Cujus latus perforatum
Unda fluxit et sanguine,
Esto nobis praegustatum
In mortis examine.

Grannyknot Mon 29-Jul-13 19:10:10

I found a website with some amusing Latin phrases: "Merda taurorum animas conturbit" (Bullshit baffles brains).

Grannyknot Mon 29-Jul-13 19:08:21

That should be thanks to.

I can at least fathom "globi" LOL.

Grannyknot Mon 29-Jul-13 19:07:23

Here you go, phoenix (I hope): Si globi ab illis, sequitur animum. Thanks yo Google translate! grin

Anne58 Mon 29-Jul-13 17:21:20

I do love "Gaudete"

Apropos of nothing, a lovely old retired Colonel once told me his favourite phrase in Latin. I can't remember the actual Latin bit, but he told me it translated to "When you have them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow" grin

Ana Mon 29-Jul-13 17:12:43

I remember singing Adeste Fideles at school and yes, a French carol about the beauty of the king...hmm

Henrietta Mon 29-Jul-13 16:58:12

Oh Maniac, I was wondering if anyone else could sing in Latin!

All together now, to the tune of 'My darling Clementine' -

In caverna dum metalla
Quaerit fossa aurea
Periisti et uvisti
Inde mea lacrima

Oh divina Clementina
Oh meae delicia
Da de dah da da de dah da
I can't remember anymore....

I was taught this (without seeing the words written down) by my Latin teacher approx. 46 years ago. The spelling'll be all wrong so I am open to correction....
I can also sing 'Oh Tannenbaum' in German but won't (unless asked nicely). And I can do a few French Christmas Carols.....

Anne58 Mon 29-Jul-13 16:41:01

My personal motto is in "cod" latin (I'm bound to get the spelling wrong) but something like "semper nen faecebes, sole profundum variat"

Translates to "always in the sh~t, only the depth varies"

mrsmopp Mon 29-Jul-13 16:28:20

Our Latin teacher went through Vergil over and over again till we knew it backwards. Apparently in the O level, translating Vergil got something like 4o% of the marks. I remember turning over the exam paper to see which bit they had given us and that was it! I think we all passed that year.
She was German and if you haven't heard Latin spoken with a strong German accent, you haven't lived!
I wish I could remember it now, but sadly not.

Joan Wed 24-Jul-13 23:26:27

I used to learn those Latin verb conjugations and noun declensions while cycling. I'd have them written on cards, take one out at the traffic lights, memorise it quickly, then chant it to myself as I pedaled. I love languages, but always found rote learning really hard, so that was the only way to brainwash them into my mind. Oh, and putting charts up on the inside of the toilet door, so I could learn them while sitting there. Constipation was a great help before an exam.

mrsmopp Wed 24-Jul-13 17:11:31

Amo amas amat amamus amatis amant.
As remembered from my Shortbread Eating Primer.

Blowed if I can remember any more! Can't believe I could translate Vergil when I was 16. Where's it all gone?

specki4eyes Tue 09-Jul-13 10:12:31

Gracesmum I love that one! Keep it up everyone - I missed the Latin stream but would have loved to learn it.

annodomini Mon 08-Jul-13 12:43:40

There was also Peter Rabbit in Latin - Fabula de Petro Cuniculo. I may have had it on my bookshelf once but it seems to have disappeared.

Gorki Mon 08-Jul-13 11:57:46

I did A level Latin and New Testament Greek but can't remember much of either as I didn't use them much.

My favourite saying is Nosce Te Ipsum "Know Thyself" and we could say of Andy Murray that he is Nulli Secundus "Second to None"

A nice little book we read at school was called "Winnie Ille Pooh" Don't know if it is still available. Might be nice for the grandchildren.

Grannyknot Sun 07-Jul-13 10:25:13

Greatnan thanks for the list! [thumbs up emoticon]

Joan Sun 07-Jul-13 10:20:28

Our new (well, recycled) PM speaks fluent Mandarin - that gets him well in with the Chinese. My DiL is ethnically Cantonese, and speaks the language, but she is losing it now that she's no longer living with her parents. I keep telling her to see her Mum and Dad as often as possible and keep up the language, but I don't think she listens. She's a scientist, and doesn't give language matters a thought.

Maniac Sun 07-Jul-13 10:09:12

Greatnan our Head Prefect was Harry Rosbottom -quite a common name in our part of Lancs.
My GD's school (in Cheshire) has Mandarin on the language curriculum -there's another Latin word!

Joan Sun 07-Jul-13 10:08:01

I reckon most subjects depend a great deal on the teacher, and I had an inspired Latin teacher, which probably has a lot to do with how I liked it and did well in it. He kept discipline really well, in a class of 20 boys and 12 girls.

Mind you, one or two things did happen. My very posh and ultra-respectable friend Andrea, a Methodist minister 's daughter, used to fiddle around with a broken cupboard knob next to her desk, when she was concentrating on something. One day, she discovered to her surprise it had been fixed. Without thinking, she exclaimed loudly "Oh, you've had your knob mended, Sir!"

The silence was deafening for many seconds, until we all just gave in and descended into loud laughter. The teacher just put his head in his hands and sighed. We all knew it was an innocent mistake - but it was around 1958 or 1959 - we were relatively innocent back then

gracesmum Sun 07-Jul-13 10:02:58

Funnily enough (as somebody might say) DH is not all that impressed with the programmes, I don't think he appreciates its finer points grin That's fine by me - just leave me alone with the lovely Dr Scott!!wink

Greatnan Sun 07-Jul-13 09:43:30

Oh,yes, I am enjoying the programmes so much - and the one about Rome.
I had one Latin teacher for the whole of my five years at grammar school - the unfortunately named Miss Rosbottom. She was a gentle spinster,probably in her 40's but of course when you are 15 anybody over 30 is old. She loved her subject, and composed little poems to help us learn. My school was small, only two form entry, and only the 'sheep' took Latin - presumably it was considered too hard for the 'goats'. We were not offered Greek, just Latin and French.
My youngest grandson is learning Japanese - it is a popular subject in NZ.