Gransnet forums

Chat

Learn and teach Latin here

(113 Posts)
Grannyknot Thu 04-Jul-13 22:01:37

One of the other threads reminded me of how much I love certain Latin phrases. Here are just two of my favourites, I'd love to hear from others (in brackets is my own understanding, may not be exactly the correct meaning):

- in flagrante delicto (caught in the act)
- audi alteram partem (let both sides be heard).

I used to know quite a bit of Latin (although never studied it) from the time I worked in the Student Disciplinary Court at a Uni. <puts learn Latin on list of things to do when I retire>.

MiceElf Thu 04-Jul-13 22:16:42

Sine die.

Whenever.....

gracesmum Thu 04-Jul-13 22:49:26

Nemo me impune lacessit - Scots will know what I mean!

Galen Thu 04-Jul-13 22:49:59

23% for o level.
But do like"Carpe Diem"

Ana Thu 04-Jul-13 22:53:28

nil desperandum

Galen Thu 04-Jul-13 23:01:02

Nil illegtimus carborundum

janeainsworth Thu 04-Jul-13 23:02:58

Tempus fugit, especially when you're on Gransnet wink

whenim64 Thu 04-Jul-13 23:03:15

For those of us who don't know much Latin, could you translate, please? Ta!

Compos mentis - still got all my marbles grin

Galen Thu 04-Jul-13 23:06:43

Don't let the bastards grind you down
Don't despair
Time flies
Seize the day

Ana Thu 04-Jul-13 23:09:10

But not in that order....grin

Aka Thu 04-Jul-13 23:14:46

Amabint

Hunt Thu 04-Jul-13 23:23:19

Caeser adsum iam forte.Say it quickly!

annodomini Thu 04-Jul-13 23:25:58

Nos morituri te salutamus, Caesar.

We who are about to die salute you, Caesar. (gladiators entering the arena)

Dum spiro spero - while there's life there's hope. (loosely translated)

And,cof course, Cogito ergo sum - I think therefore I am (Descartes)

One I like:

Ubi deserta (or solitudinem) faciunt pacem appellant. They create deserts and call it peace. Celtic chief Calgacus on the Romans' attempted conquest of Caledonia. (in Tacitus' history)

Galen Thu 04-Jul-13 23:32:44

Amo GN!

Greatnan Fri 05-Jul-13 01:27:22

Omnia vincit amor. Love conquers all.

vegasmags Fri 05-Jul-13 07:53:10

Non sine pulvere palma (not without dust the prize) Ref charioteers

Grannyknot Fri 05-Jul-13 08:09:37

Mea culpa (I did it!)

Gracesmum and Aka you have to explain! Otherwise where's the lesson? smile

Greatnan Fri 05-Jul-13 08:21:55

A common prayer in my Catholic childhood: Mea maxima culpa - through my most grievous fault.
I got a double dose of Latin, as a school subject and as a Catholic, before the change to the mass being conducted in the vernacular.

mollie Fri 05-Jul-13 08:57:20

I bet Calgacus didn't say it in Latin though...

feetlebaum Fri 05-Jul-13 09:07:18

Oh those declensions... I reckon Romans must have spent so much time bitching about other people's grammar...

Where I went to school, the motto was "Virtute et Labore". At a reunion lunch nearly sixty years later I found that nobody on my table really knew for sure what it meant! I figured out that the -te ending stuck onto 'virtu' indicates the ablative (an odd-sounding word in itself, which means "to be removed or vaporized at very high temperature" but that has damn-all to do with Latin grammar). The ablative case in Latin implies 'by', 'with' or 'from' - in this case it makes our old motto mean 'By valour and exertion' - although you could have fooled me...

Greatnan Fri 05-Jul-13 09:12:22

Well, I have to concede one thing to Gove - rote learning certainly stays with you. I have absolutely no use for Latin grammar but I can still conjugate a verb and recite a list of prepositions that take the ablative absolute ( a, absque, coram, de, palam, clam, cum ex and e, sinus , tenus , pro and prae...) What a total waste of space in my brain!

gracesmum Fri 05-Jul-13 09:14:26

Sorry! You can have the Scottish translation - Wha daur meddle wi' me - or the English - No-one assails me with impunity.

Greatnan Fri 05-Jul-13 09:15:33

Well, I have to concede one thing to Gove - rote learning certainly stays with you. I have absolutely no use for Latin grammar but I can still conjugate a verb and recite a list of prepositions that take the ablative case ( a, absque, coram, de, palam, clam, cum ex and e, sinus , tenus , pro and prae...) What a total waste of space in my brain!

Ariadne Fri 05-Jul-13 09:22:33

I did "A" Level Latin and Greek, and I love the disciples of Latin. I can now only read Greek and translate very simple words, like "and"!

"Carpe diem" - seize the day

A little apt quotation for today:

"Diffugere nives, redeunt iam gramina campis
Arboribusque "

"the snows have melted (and) grass has returned to the fields, (and) leaves to the trees."

annodomini Fri 05-Jul-13 09:53:04

My classics teacher entered some of us for a Latin and Greek speaking competition against many of the top schools in the West of Scotland - and we invariably won the prizes. I spouted chunks of Demosthenes, Thucidides and Homer and all I can remember is 'The whole earth is the tomb of famous men.' Then I did Latin and Greek in first year at University - Scottish students did a spread of subjects in first year. Modern languages would have been more useful - with hindsight!