Gransnet forums

Chat

Fat finger syndrome

(34 Posts)
gracesmum Sun 14-Jul-13 11:15:26

Since acquiring my Samsung Galaxy phone (trendy, eh?) I had hoped that my texting would prove less problematic. Predictive texting was always a no-no, but remembering how many times to tap the key for "u" or "v" could lead to some innovative spellings. So now I have my smart phone - only not that smart. I often find that I am touching the key next to the one I want - which I understand is know as "fat finger" . Recently texting DD on holiday in the Algarve, I meant to say "glad you are having fun" but if came out as " Glad you are having gin " - on reflection, probably not that far off the truth !! grin

Ariadne Tue 23-Jul-13 21:38:36

confused

whenim64 Tue 23-Jul-13 21:52:17

GinnyTonic smile I posted a long time ago, after I had got predictive text here on my iPad, when sending an email to my sister. I ended it with 'looking forward to seeing your moron' which should have read 'looking forward to seeing you soon.' grin

JacksSmirkingRevenge Wed 24-Jul-13 10:01:25

luckily my hands have not yet been ravaged by the cruel whims of time. but i am familiar with the problem of smart phone texting difficulties. similar to conchord, it is something that has actually reverted - one could write faster and more precisely on phones ten years ago. i actually dont like predictive text myself - i was around 15 when the first affordable pay as you go nokias came out, thus i sent messages for years without predictive text - and i absolutely, positively refuse to learn now. if you can find the settings option on your mobile phones, have a look for a message options sub-menu - that should contain predictive text options to disable at will.

would suggest to those struggling with touch screens to use a pointer of some sort - anything, a pen, matchstick.. whatever - to select the keys, slower yes, but more precise and therefore generally quicker

blackberry-type phones with the 'qwerty' keyboard physical keys (same as computer keyboard) are much easier to type with i find, anyhow

Nelliemoser Wed 24-Jul-13 10:25:36

It's not fat finger syndrome that causes the problem! It's making the keys too bloody small.
You can always trust the manufactures to push the blame the onto consumers for what is basically poor design.

Pittcity Wed 24-Jul-13 16:35:49

I have just used the voice input on my Samsung Galaxy S3 mini to write a text and it got it right first time. I am very impressed as it might be the answer to my finger problems smile

JacksSmirkingRevenge Thu 25-Jul-13 00:37:34

voice input is fine... until you find out your text to your friend about her mother's flock wallpaper was somehow sadly mistranscribed...

Ariadne Thu 25-Jul-13 03:55:07

It's also fairly easy to disable the same thing on the iPad.

Ariadne Thu 25-Jul-13 11:16:50

And, we talked about using a stylus earlier in the post. You can get a pack quite cheaply on the online book and everything else store to which many of us are addicted..