Gransnet forums

Chat

What do you think of the US?

(69 Posts)
Enviousamerican Sun 14-Jul-13 15:28:00

I might be opening a can of worms here but I am so curious about your opinion of the US...after being on Gransnet for awhile it seems quite negative.Could some of be blamed on believing what you read? Dont hold back your response on account of me!

Enviousamerican Sun 14-Jul-13 18:20:06

Tegan,that yes,but the misconceptions bug me the most... I feel I should say don't believe everything you read.

Greatnan Sun 14-Jul-13 18:23:01

Envious - I would welcome being put right about any misconceptions I have - it is good to have facts from the horse's mouth!
Nonu - are you really saying that we can only have opinions about countries we have visited? Don't you think we can learn a lot from books, TV, films, the news.....?

Tegan Sun 14-Jul-13 18:36:30

....and America did give us Bob Dylan smile. A country that creates someone that can write 'Masters of War' can't be all that bad, can it?

Tegan Sun 14-Jul-13 18:38:12

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ElaYPo8B90

Enviousamerican Sun 14-Jul-13 18:40:45

Greatnan I think HE.L would freeze over before abortion would be illegal here again! Don't worry... The fundamental Christians make a lot of noise but they don't worry people.As far as late abortions well that's just wrong anyway unless the women's life is in danger and how often does that happen?

Tegan Sun 14-Jul-13 18:46:44

We tend to think of America as a country and not a huge continent full of differing ideals and peoples. Which is where the misunderstandings begin.

Greatnan Sun 14-Jul-13 18:46:54

That's good to hear, Envious. Now we just need Eire to catch up!

annodomini Sun 14-Jul-13 18:47:07

America has also given us John Steinbeck, Ernest Hemingway, Arthur Miller... to pluck just a few names out of the ether. There have also been some very good TV shows like Frasier, and the wacky Six Feet Under and Northern Exposure. My GC are hooked on the Simpsons which takes a pretty unvarnished view of US society and opinions. My GSs don't yet appear to be modelling themselves on Bart!

Ana Sun 14-Jul-13 18:51:14

That's very true about the tv shows, anno - who said Americans have no sense of humour (or not one that matches ours)? These days our home-grown comedies are put to shame by a lot of the US offerings.

vegasmags Sun 14-Jul-13 18:57:00

I have visited the USA many times, the first in my twenties with my then husband. Ever since my teens, I had been interested in American literature (and this remains one of my great passions). We went to California, hired a Tbird and drove all over the place - to Monterey, Big Sur and the Napa valley. I fell in love with America and each time I visit I feel that way again. One of the things I love is the can do attitude - flying into Seattle about 2 months after the eruption of Mount St Helens, the pilot of our American airline did a detour so that we could fly over the top of it, which was just as darkness was falling. There is no way that would have happened with a British airline! As you can tell by my handle, I love Las Vegas - both the stark beauty of the desert and the razzmatazz of the city. I like the lack of class consciousness that seems to pervade and stultify British society. From log cabin to log cabin could be our motto. It is also such a spectacularly beautiful country. I have met some wonderful people there and have great memories - not the least of which was a proposal of marriage from a Chicago cop who watched me scoop up a poker pot. I was never too sure if he was serious or not hmm

Enviousamerican Sun 14-Jul-13 18:58:39

Tegan,so right! I've lived in a metropolitan city in the South most of my life but would be the first to say there are a lot of places in the South I'd never live in!

Nonu Sun 14-Jul-13 19:00:38

Ana , I have had a busy weekend .

Nothing & I mean nothing will EVER put me off the US of A.

I luurve it .

Enviousamerican Sun 14-Jul-13 19:05:58

Vegasmags, hope you didn't miss your chance to see Chicago! wink

Enviousamerican Sun 14-Jul-13 19:07:31

Nonu,you'll just have to come back and visit areas near me!

whenim64 Sun 14-Jul-13 19:13:16

Vegas smile the Pacific coastline is magical. I could travel up and down California forever more, enjoying the wildlife and scenery.

Nonu Sun 14-Jul-13 19:14:03

Envious . XX

Ana Sun 14-Jul-13 19:15:55

Nonu, no one would want you to be put off the US. Your enthusiasm is endearing! smile

Nonu Sun 14-Jul-13 19:29:45

SWEETIE > XXX

Tegan Sun 14-Jul-13 19:31:13

I get really upset at the view other countries have of England [I say England and not Britain as I feel that they have national identities of their own on the world stage]. I think that, as a people, we are incredibly socially aware and tolerant, and yet the rest of the world seems to hate us [the exceptions being America and Crete]. But I suppose I am basing this on the Eurovision Song Contest blush. The plan is to visit America next year anyway, so I'll be able to judge for myself, although it will be one of those 'if it's Friday it must be Las Vagas' sort of coach trips.

Butty Sun 14-Jul-13 19:41:49

Envious
Over the years, I've visited most of the East Coast; Georgia through to Maine.
It is such a complex and big continent, so I'll pare down my thoughts.

Dysfunctional politics, very friendly people, beautiful scenery, innovative and culturally diverse.

Always, always enjoyable - but that's probably because I have quite a few members of my family living there. smile

Butty Sun 14-Jul-13 19:42:44

Oh, and forgot 'isolationist'.

Butty Sun 14-Jul-13 19:44:01

Sounds sort of familiar wink

Greatnan Sun 14-Jul-13 19:44:50

Nonu - what makes you think anybody is trying to put you off the USA?

Nonu Sun 14-Jul-13 19:53:43

I think that remark may be construed as "Nit picking "

Hell what do I know ?

to g/nan BTW

Nonu Sun 14-Jul-13 19:54:22

Laugh !!!!!!!!!!